• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Hunter S. Thompson's remains to be shot from cannon

So I have been a huge fan of Hunter S. Thompson ever since I stumbled across a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when I was 15. The man was a brilliant journalist and one hell of a storyteller.
    I was deeply saddened by his death, but very tickled a few weeks after when I heard his final request was to have his ashes shot out of a cannon on his property. It seems a fitting end to a truly amazing life.
    I was reading the news today and I came across this article:

Depp Arranges Shooting of Thompson's Ashes
    By The Associated Press

ASPEN, Colo. - Organizers of a memorial for Hunter S. Thompson plan to erect a 150-foot structure — courtesy of actor Johnny Depp — to shoot the gonzo journalist's ashes onto his ranch near here.

Friends and acquaintances gathered Thursday to discuss the Aug. 20 invitation-only service, which will be six months after Thompson shot himself in his Woody Creek home.

Jon Equis, the event producer working with Thompson's family, said the tower will be 12 feet wide at the base and 8 feet wide at the top, where a cannon will be placed.

Depp, who portrayed the author in the movie version of Thompson's book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" will pay for the tower, designed to resemble Thompson's "gonzo fist" emblem.

As Thompson requested, his ashes will be shot out of the cannon onto his property.

Equis said the tower will be constructed far from Woody Creek Road and covered with a black drape before the service to discourage tourists. A public event is expected to be planned later to commemorate the writer's life.

The August event will consist of "spoken word and live entertainment," Equis said. The cannon will be fired around sunset.

The event organizers must get the plans reviewed by the Pitkin County Community Development Department, but Thompson's widow, Anita Thompson, was supportive. She said the event will be a celebration.
    I just think that is freaking awesome.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• șoș Tom șoș

Awwwww man this has Hunter's touch written all over it! Badass and godspeed old man!

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Awwwww man this has Hunter's touch written all over it! Badass and godspeed old man!
    Totally. How awesome is that?

• Smells like beer

I remember hearing something about this right after he died. I think its perfect.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

• șoș Tom șoș

Just read an article that says Johnny Deep is personally constructing the cannon and will be the one to fire it.

• MCP Warrior Elite

I am a huge HST fan (See avatar )
    But I was generally dissapointed in Hunter for taking the coward's way out...I expected much more fight from him. Sadly, he turned in to a complete whack-job at the end of his life. The canon thing is a fitting tribute.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Snappy
    But I was generally dissapointed in Hunter for taking the coward's way out...I expected much more fight from him. Sadly, he turned in to a complete whack-job at the end of his life. The canon thing is a fitting tribute.
    I felt that the way he went was the ONLY way he could have gone out. He lived a longer and crazier life than most. He called a stop to the insanity when he felt it was time.

• MCP Warrior Elite

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    I felt that the way he went was the ONLY way he could have gone out. He lived a longer and crazier life than most. He called a stop to the insanity when he felt it was time.
    Interesting views you have...a gun-shot to the temple is the "ONLY" way to go out? Remind me never to have you as a friend...I would hate to see the type of advice you give

What "insanity" do yo speak of?
    The guy was an immensly talented writer who flushed his life away with drugs and alcohol. The last years he became completely incoherent due to his liquor, drugs, and cigarettes. I defend his right to choose his own lifestyle, but I think it was a complete waste.

The only way that this might have been acceptable is if he somehow felt that he was so fried that he would start to become a burden to others. But maybe he was just a selfish coward that really had no use any longer.

• șoș Tom șoș

Interesting views you have...a gun-shot to the temple is the "ONLY" way to go out? Remind me never to have you as a friend...I would hate to see the type of advice you give
    Simmer down pal! People who believe in the ability of unassisted end to there own life are not necessarily going to advicate that to friends and family or even use it on themselves but they can respect an individual's right to choose.

Hunter S Thompson did what he did and bashing him after he is dead is sort of pointless...Honor the best of the people who leave us.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

What "insanity" do yo speak of?
    The guy was an immensly talented writer who flushed his life away with drugs and alcohol. The last years he became completely incoherent due to his liquor, drugs, and cigarettes. I defend his right to choose his own lifestyle, but I think it was a complete waste.

The only way that this might have been acceptable is if he somehow felt that he was so fried that he would start to become a burden to others. But maybe he was just a selfish coward that really had no use any longer.
    Yes, my views are slightly warped. But they're mine. And I make no apologies. I thought he was brilliant, no matter how troubled he may have been, and no matter how he chose to die.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    I have to agree. And blowing your brains out? So Unoriginal. And Having your 10 year old Grandson home? Just so Wrong. i lost respect.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth