• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Van Halen reuniting w/ Roth for tour

Exclusive: Van Halen Reuniting With Roth For Tour

Van Halen's original lineup in the early 1980s

January 24, 2007, 4:20 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Sources tell Billboard.com a contract could be signed as soon as today for Live Nation to produce a 40-date amphitheatre tour by Van Halen this summer, with original frontman David Lee Roth back in the fold for the first time in more than 20 years.

As previously reported, guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang has stepped in for original bassist Michael Anthony in the new incarnation of the group, which also features drummer Alex Van Halen.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Hagar refused to collaborate further with Eddie and Alex Van Halen after the tour's completion ("I don't get along with Eddie anymore, and that's all there is to it," he told Billboard.com in August 2005), although he has consistently played live with Anthony in recent years. The warring factions may wind up meeting in public in March when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com last May of a potential reunion with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

Hagar recently told Billboard.com he was concerned Eddie Van Halen was asking too much of his son to have him join the band and promptly perform in front of thousands of people every night.

"That's a lot of pressure for Wolfie. Just 'cause he's Eddie's son doesn't mean he can go out and play in arenas and perform and entertain an audience for two hours," he said. "I would love to see Eddie and Alex get behind Wolfie, with a kid of his age singing, and produce the record for him and help him launch a career. I'd rather see it go that way than come out and say 'Wolfie's the bass player in Van Halen and maybe singing, too.' Van Halen's got way too much history to have that put on him."
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003537232
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Feeling LOVED

Re: Van Halen reuniting w/ Roth for tour

I have heard rumors of this and now its true. Ugh....don't think I can handle Roth anymore.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• For You!

Don't worry - they won't make it to the tour - haven't they discussed this before and it just never happens.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I say is lasts 2 or 3 shows, then they sick of each other again and call it quits.

• Circle of Ancients

I always thought that Roth was the better singer. I have their first albums.

I'd love to see them again Live, if this is really true.

• Senior Minion

Let's hope they actually go through with this finally! They have backed out of this before. I will believe it when they are on the 'road"
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    I always thought that Roth was the better singer. I have their first albums.
    Roth is definitely the better showman, and in the recording studio his vocals sound fine. I've heard him at his worst before, however, in a live setting. In that regard, he wasn't the better of the two.

Now, with so many years of being away from the stage, it will be interesting to see if Roth can pull off what he did in his youth. I have serious doubts. Still, Eddie and Alex will make up for his shortcomings. I'll bet they put on a great show...should they actually go forward with this.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

2/16/07,
    ROLLING STONE
    4:16 pm EST
    Exclusive: Feast Your Eyes on Van Halen 2.0!!

Here they are in all their glory! Use your imagination to replace the dapper blazer with a plunging spandex bodysuit!
    [photo: Richard McLaren]
    -- Rolling Stone
    2/15/07, 5:46 pm EST
    Exclusive: Diamond Dave Spills His Guts About Van Halen Reunion

Van Halen recently announced that they’d be touring together with their original frontman David Lee Roth for the first time in twenty-three years. Roth spoke exclusively to our Brian Hiatt about burying the ax with Eddie, playing the old favorites with a different attitude and the possibility of a permanent VH reunion. He also dropped more metaphors than we ever thought humanly possible. Read highlights from the interview, which will appear in its fully-realized form in the next issue of Rolling Stone, which hits stands everywhere February 23rd:
    On his first post-reunion jam with Eddie:
    Eddie and I wrote the songs, every note, every syllable, as if we invented a language that only we can speak. It was an easy, natural thing…When you speak a language that you both created, it’s natural to go, “I know you.” So it was very easy. There wasn’t any stumble at all. I just showed up, and twenty minutes later, it was the usual, “How’s the wife, how’s the kids, let’s play.” When you’re born to do that language, you speak it naturally. I never forgot it.
    • On how rehearsals are going:
      The chemistry is combustible. There’s an explosive sound there that is, I think, perhaps…unless you were there, which most folks weren’t, than you may have forgotten. This is really sophisticated, smart stuff. Everybody’s at the top of their game in terms of…it’s not just intangible things. My voice is arguably better than it was when I left the band back when. I love what I do, perhaps for some different reasons now than I did, more so than I did. It’s a privilege to do what I do for a living.
    • On whether or not the reunion will be permanent:
      God willin’, and the creek don’t run dry, just like Grandma Roth used to say. Barring any act of God or Ferrari…yeah. I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque.
    -- Rolling Stone
    http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...halen-reunion/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

OOPS, THEY DID IT AGAIN...

2/21/07, 4:21 pm EST
    The Official Word: Van Halen Tour Kaput

It looks like David Lee Roth’s first tour with Van Halen in twenty-three years won’t happen, after all. Over the weekend, employees of tour promoters Live Nation were informed that “the Van Halen tour has been shut down.” It’s not yet clear what went wrong: Just last week, the band released their first official photo of their new line-up to Rolling Stone. At the time, Roth told us that he was thrilled about the tour, and that the reunion could be permanent: “I have hope and faith – and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque,” he said. Check back here for more VH news as the story unfolds.
    -- Brian Hiatt
    ROLLING STONE
    February 21, 2007
    http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...en-tour-kaput/