• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney's dazzling 'Dreams' - USA TODAY 1/26/07

By Annie Leibovitz
    It's a kick: Soccer star David Beckham rides a white stallion
    as Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty.

By Annie Leibovitz
    Princess bling: Scarlett Johansson's Cinderella
    sports a Harry Winston tiara and a Steuben glass slipper.

By William Keck
    USA TODAY
    Janaury 26, 2007

When it comes to wishing upon a star, Annie Leibovitz has far more influence than Jiminy Cricket.

The famed photographer's reputation, combined with the allure of Disney, has sent a pop princess to Wonderland, a soccer stud to slay a dragon and an acclaimed actress scurrying slipperless down a staircase.

PHOTOS: Annie Leibovitz makes Disney dreams

Recruited by Disney to promote Disneyland and Walt Disney World's Year of a Million Dreams campaign, Leibovitz persuaded her famous friends to dress up as classic Disney characters. The first images in this ongoing series will appear in the March issues of Vogue, Vanity Fair, W, GQ, Conde Nast Traveller, Cookie and The New Yorker.

"We started by looking at the classic stories —Snow White, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan," Leibovitz says in an e-mail interview. "We put 10 or 12 of the obvious ones into development. The people we got to play the central roles in the first series of photographs felt the way I did about Disney. They all grew up with Disney characters."

Because Cinderella is the favorite character of her 5-year-old daughter, Sarah, Leibovitz says, "princesses had to be dealt with."

Scarlett Johansson was the first A-lister to sign on. She plays Cinderella, dashing down a staircase with the castle aglow in the distance. The image was photographed on the steps of the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial on New York's Riverside Drive with Disney World's Cinderella castle digitally imposed behind her.

"Scarlett Johansson couldn't wait to put on that tiara," Leibovitz says. The Harry Winston creation is valued at $325,000. The glass slipper was made for the shoot by Steuben. Says Johansson, 22, via e-mail, "It wasn't hard to coax my foot into the iconic glass slipper; it's every little girl's dream, mine included."

Neither did Beyoncé Knowles require coaxing to dress up as Alice in Wonderland alongside Lyle Lovett as the March Hare and Oliver Platt as the mischievous Mad Hatter.

"It was Annie's idea for me to play Alice," Knowles says. "If she wanted me to do it, I was up for it, because she's such a genius."

Knowles, 25, says Alice was one of her favorite Disney characters growing up. And, she says, "it is my sister's (Solange Knowles) absolute favorite! She doesn't know I've done it yet, so she's going to get a real trip out of seeing me in the teacup. It was freezing cold in the teacup, but it didn't matter because we were all so excited and it was shot really fast."

The Alice photo shoot took place in a field on Leibovitz's farm in upstate New York. "We had some teacups from Disneyland shipped in," Leibovitz says. "I hadn't realized that they each weighed several hundred pounds. We had to place them with a forklift. It took a whole day to do that, and then I couldn't move them, because the field was wet."

Leibovitz, who will soon dress another set of celebrities as Peter Pan, Tinker Bell and Little Mermaid Ariel, approached British soccer superstar (and new American import) David Beckham, with the concept of playing Sleeping Beauty's Prince. She asked the 31-year-old whether "prince" was an image he would feel comfortable portraying. Not surprisingly, Beckham was game, and the image was photographed near a lake outside Madrid, where he had been playing soccer for the team Real Madrid. The castle superimposed in the background is from Disneyland Paris.

"I'm the prince, and I'm sort of slaying a dragon, which is something I've never done before, obviously," Beckham says in the Disney press materials. "When I was called about it and asked to do it, I was very honored and really looking forward to it, especially with Annie doing the pictures."

Says Leibovitz: "It seemed perfect for David Beckham, who is a very masculine hero. Saving Sleeping Beauty came natural to him. He's a determined actor, and he became the Prince when he got on that white horse. He was serious about it. My daughter Sarah wanted to know where the dragon was, and I told her that I had left it out of the frame on purpose. I left figures like that up to the viewer's imagination."

He describes himself as a "big kid" who loves to go to theme parks. A fan of Disney characters as a boy, Beckham is now enjoying seeing how these characters are perceived through the eyes of the three children (Brooklyn, 7, Romeo, 4, and Cruz, almost 2) he shares with his wife, Victoria "Posh Spice" Beckham.

"The role's reversed now," he says. "It's my sons that love the Disney characters and, you know, it's a big part of their lives; a big part of many children's lives around the world."
    Last edited by ALIASd; 01-25-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Re: Disney's dazzling 'Dreams' - USA TODAY 1/26/07

wow... I used to really like her stuff, I wonder if she brought cocaine to these photo shoots?

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

Suddenly Cinderella has a lot more interest to me...
    For a couple of reasons.

• rockin butter sponge!

As a photography student i have a great respect for Annie Leibowitz. She is one of the rare celeb photographers that literally has carte blanche for any idea she has. Unfortunately the real talent behind her recent work is the wardrobe, makeup, SFX and set design people, not her. So many of her photos would not exist or even be noteworthy without these people, and she almost refuses to discuss thier presence in her work.
    *sighs*

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

wow, the cinderella pic is awesomely pleasing to the eyes...
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

holy CRAP I am in LOVE with that picture of Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella. o_O! I can't wait for the rest of the shoot (I wonder who'll be Ariel... It would be interesting if they picked Alyssa Milano coz isn't Ariel supposedly based on her?)

• Minion

I love these pictures! Especially Beckham as Prince Charming and they got the castle right! Scarlett is gorgeous as Cinderella. The Alice picture was just alright. Can't wait to see who they choose for the rest of the characters. This Dreams campaign is a lot better than the cheesy stuff we've seen so far...

• Don't mess with the duck!

Annie Leibovitz to help YoaMD?!

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...campaign_x.htm

Anyone see this in USA Today? They've got Annie Leibovitz using A-list celebs to promote Year of a Million Dreams campaign. Think it will help?

• rockin butter sponge!

Re: Annie Leibovitz to help YoaMD?!

This is already on the front page under "News"

• Don't mess with the duck!

Re: Annie Leibovitz to help YoaMD?!

D'OH! Sorry about that, don't know how I missed that. Thanks.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Stars Play Out Disney Park Fantasies In New Images Unveiled by Annie Leibovitz

Disney Parks Press Release

Stars Play Out Disney Park Fantasies In New Images Unveiled by Annie Leibovitz

Photography Featuring Scarlett Johansson, Beyoncé and David Beckham Kicks Off Disney's 'Year of a Million Dreams'

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Jan. 26, 2007) / PRNewswire / — To launch Disney Parks "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration, spectacular new images were unveiled today featuring the work of acclaimed photographer Annie Leibovitz, and starring Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella, Beyoncé taking a spin in a giant teacup and David Beckham slaying a dragon.

Leibovitz's images also fulfill one of Beckham's "dreams," as the Disney Parks project is his first endorsement since signing a contract to play professional soccer in the United States.

In addition to the three debut images, Disney Parks has commissioned more images by Leibovitz that will feature other celebrities in classic, Disney fairy tale settings.

"I'm really delighted to be part of the 'Where Dreams Come True' campaign," said Leibovitz. "We live in difficult times and I feel, especially as a parent, that keeping dreams alive is one of the most important things we can do."

Each image features a scene with the featured celebrities transformed into the role of a fabled Disney character, expressing their own dreams and imagination.

As Cinderella, Scarlett Johansson is seen running down a flight of stairs as the clock strikes midnight with her glass slipper unknowingly left behind. The tagline reads, "Where every Cinderella story comes true."

Befitting a true princess, Johansson wears a stunning, one-of-a-kind Harry Winston tiara – a dazzling piece in platinum with more than 62 carats of sparkling diamonds and valued at $325,000. The dress worn by Johansson is a custom-made, Cinderella-inspired gown designed by Nicoletta Santoro.

David Beckham plays the part of the gallant Prince Phillip from "Sleeping Beauty," atop his trusted steed fighting the evil dragon. The tagline reads, "Where imagination saves the day."

"There were many Disney characters I liked as a kid," said Beckham. "Now my sons love the Disney characters and it's a big part of their lives, a big part of many children's lives around the world. So to be part of that is an honor and very exciting.

"I love going to Disney, I'm like a big kid," he added.

Beyoncé appears as "Alice in Wonderland," twirling in a teacup, accompanied by Oliver Platt as the Mad Hatter and Lyle Lovett as the March Hare. The tagline reads, "Where Wonderland is your destiny."

"It's two great imaginations coming together – Disney and Annie Leibovitz," said Lovett. "To be along for the ride really is quite something, just knowing that you're going to be part of a great Disney character. And then when you step into the imagination of Annie Leibovitz, you know you're in another world."
    "The 'Where Dreams Come True' campaign is about the imaginations and dreams that are inside us all," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "By capturing these transformational experiences, these emotional images communicate a powerful concept. Working with Annie Leibovitz was a natural fit – Disney is known for immersive storytelling and Annie is a masterful artist whose photos speak volumes."

The campaign premieres as a special insert in the March issues of Vanity Fair, GQ, Vogue, W, The New Yorker, Conde Nast Traveler and Cookie.

As part of the "Where Dreams Come True" initiative, Disney Parks introduced "The Year of a Million Dreams" (Oct. 1, 2006-Dec. 31, 2007). During this 15-month, first-of-its-kind celebration, more than one million very special dreams are being granted to guests visiting Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. The celebration also is highlighted by the debut of innovative Disney attractions and entertainment spectaculars at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts.

For more information about Disney Parks, "The Year of a Million Dreams" and "Where Dreams Come True," guests may visit www.mydisneyparks.com.

You can see the photos and a video at this link

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/disney/26636/
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• decorating

Re: Stars Play Out Disney Park Fantasies In New Images Unveiled by Annie Leibovitz

thanks for the photo link.. Cinderella is my new background

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I dunno about you guys but I have a new favorite Disney Princess.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Those two picture are WONDERFUL!!!

I will have to go out and buy some magazines
    just to get copies of those Pictures!!!!!!!

. . . . . Or do you suppose they will be
    selling matted prints at the Disneyanna Store
    on Main Street for $35.00 a pop!?!?!?!

• Senior Minion

The photos are stunning!!! I can't wait to see more!!! I loved the cinderella one, and I had no idea that it was celebs in the pictures, I couldn't tell.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast