• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Jason Lee gives 'Underdog' his bark - USA TODAY 1/26/07

Coming attractions

Posted 1/25/2007 9:04 PM ET
    Enlarge
    By Disney Enterprises Inc
    His name is Shoeshine: But he's really Underdog, and he's voiced by Jason Lee.

Movies
    By Scott Bowles
    USA TODAY
    January 26, 2007

Jason Lee is rooting quite vocally for this 'Underdog'

There's no need to fear. Jason Lee is here.

Well, on some days. Lee, who will provide the voice of the crime-fighting beagle in the film Underdog, concedes he's still getting used to the schedule of being a canine superhero.

"Every two or three months, I'll get a call to come in and read a few hours of script," says Lee, the star of My Name Is Earl. "I'm pretty clueless what the movie is going to be, which is kind of intriguing. I'll be like the audience, seeing it for the first time."

Such are the rigors of perfecting the special effects that will go into the movie, seen here for the first time. Unlike the popular cartoon of the mid-1960s, the film version will eschew animation in favor of Babe-like computer effects.

Lee, who says he was a cartoon junkie as a child, plays Shoeshine, a hound who gets superpowers after a lab accident. The film is due Aug. 3.

It's the third film for which Lee has provided a voice: He was Bones in Monster House and Buddy Pine in The Incredibles. He's also provided the voice to video games and an American Dad episode.

"I love doing voices and cartoon," he says. "My 3-year-old son has seen The Incredibles like 20 times. It feels good to be part of something you can watch with your kid."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/2007-01...ractions_x.htm

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Jason Lee gives 'Underdog' his bark - USA TODAY 1/26/07

Exclusive Underdog Photos

Source: Walt Disney Pictures
    January 30, 2007

ComingSoon.net has your exclusive first look at two new photos from Walt Disney Pictures' Underdog, the all new live-action re-imagination of the classic cartoon flying into theaters on August 3.

After an accident in the mysterious lab of maniacal scientist Dr. Simon Barsinister (Peter Dinklage), an ordinary beagle unexpectedly finds himself with unimaginable powers and the ability to speak. Armed with a fetching superhero costume, Underdog (voiced by Jason Lee) vows to protect the beleaguered citizens of Capitol City and, in particular, one beautiful spaniel named Polly Purebread (voiced by Amy Adams). When a sinister plot by Barsinister and his overgrown henchman Cad (Patrick Warburton) threatens to destroy Capitol City only Underdog can save the day.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18607
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• time to go

Trailer is now up at Apple:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/underdog/hd/

At first, I thought this was a really bad idea. But after seeing the trailer, I'm a bit more hopeful. And Patrick Warburton plays the bad guy's henchman. YES! I love it when Warburton plays the henchman. (Kronk and Yzma made ENG. The rest was just filler.)

This film has great potential to be a terrific summer family flick. Let's hope it delivers.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

I had the same initial reaction. Live-action films inspired by cartoons are usually bad ideas, but this film bears little resemblance to the source material. And, that fact is probably a good thing.