• Main Street Maniac

Going to New York: any disney tips?

Hi everybody!

I am going to NYC in a few weeks and, since I'm always looking for disney experiences I would love to have a few suggestions from other people like me who were lucky enough to have recently visited NYC.

My (disney) plan at the moment goes something like this:
    • World of Disney, 5th Ave.
    • The Lion King, the musical;
    • Mary Poppins, the musica;
    Any other suggestions (places of (disney) interest, (disney) movie locations, etc.)?
    Visit my blog at

2008: Disneyland (15 years after the 1st visit!)
    2007: World of Disney New York City
    2006 Disneyland Resort Paris
    1992: Euro Disney Resort
    2005: Tokyo Disney Resort
    1998-2005: Disneyland Paris
    1997: Walt Disney World
    1993: Disneyland

• Too far from Disney World

Re: Going to New York: any disney tips?

Oooo!!!! Good question! We'll be going to Rhode Island for Botcon at the end of June and want to stop on the way back for the Disney store. I second that question! Are there any other Disney attractions in NYC?
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• May the F=ma be with you

I would certainly got to the Disney Store. I have only been there once even though I live so close. It is a great experience to immerse yourself in Disney magic with out actually go to a park.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Didn't Disney pretty much clean up Times Square after they purchased ABC? I heard Disney is pretty much responsible for refurbishing Times Square. (Much like after they refurbished the El Capitan in Hollywood, that area started many improvements, and today it is a much nicer area compared to before Disney went in there).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

The World of Disney is a highlight of the city for me! It really is like a small part of the theme parks up here. Make sure you stop by the website before you go, and see what times the characters appear, if you're into that. Also, if you pin trade, bring some traders, since they do a fair amount of pin trading there too. And don't forget to check out the magnificent Disney Gallery on the third floor. I think it really is the best part of the store. If you have a WDW annual pass, don't forget to show it at check out too. There usually is a discount for using it there.

As for Broadway, I'm not sure if it will change your opinion, but Beauty and the Beast is leaving Broadway at the end of June, so you might want to check it out before it's gone. I know I have plans to see it soon. And Mary Poppins? A great, fun show! Just keep in mind it might be safer to have tickets in advance, since it seems to be the hot ticket this season.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• done

Don't know if they're still doing it, but we took a tour of the New Amsterdam, and we really enjoyed it. At the time, The Lion King was still playing there, so we got to see some of the stuff associated with that show. Presuming they're still doing the tours, they'd probably show some of the stuff from Mary Poppins. I would definitely recommend the tour if you're into theatre, but I wouldn't take the tour until after you've seen the show, just so you don't get any spoilers. It was pretty amazing standing on the stage and looking out at the audience, and the story of the restoration of the theatre is incredible, especially given the absolute disarray, neglect and destruction that the theatre had been subjected to. At the end of the tour, they allow you into the gift shop, and you get an extra 10% off, so if you're going to make purchases, that's a good time, both because of the discount and the short wait. We took the 10am tour, which I'm glad of because the 11am tour looked to be much more crowded.

There is an amazing 3-story Toys R Us in Times Square, inside of which is a ferris wheel with vehicles themed to different games/toys/etc. Two of the cars are themed to Toy Story.

World of Disney was cool to see, though I expect it's a lot more impressive if you're not used to visiting either Anaheim or Orlando. I was actually a bit disappointed at their selection of location specific merchandise. I finally managed to find a shirt that I liked, and my favorite was a keychain with Mickey and Minnie in a carriage in Central Park, but I was hoping to find many many souvenirs to bring home to friends and failed. We did like the Mr. Potato Head parts and came home with a nicely packed box. They also have stations where you can create a virtual Mr. Potato Head, and then when you're done, it prints the picture out for you as a keepsake.

A very slight Disney connection can be found on the Radio City backstage tour. You get to learn about the Music Hall's development and history and founder, Samuel "Roxy" Rothafel, and among other things (including meeting a REAL LIVE ROCKETTE), they take you into a VIP meeting lounge, and scattered around the lounge are pictures of Roxy with various famous personalities. The husband happened to notice one that included a picture of Walt Disney with Roxy. Not a reason in and of itself to take the tour, but the tour is enjoyable, and anyone who happens to take it can be on the lookout for Walt's picture.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Personally, I'd say if you can, go see 'Beauty & The Beast' since it's closing in July. I myself am trying to put together a quick Broadway trip to see it before it closes, but I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off since I'm already going to Denver the last week of July to see the Little Mermaid musical.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Main Street Maniac

Thank you all guys!

I booked in advance for The Lion King and Mary Poppins. I would love to spend one more night enjoying a musical but I am a little afraid of being overwhelmed by the many things to do in NYC (museums, diners, music...), the excitement of being in the U.S. for the first time after my 1 year job experience at WDW nack in 1997 and, last but not least, the dumbness caused by the jet-leg.

So I decided to wait and see: if I survive the airtrip and the first days, then I'll try and see Beauty and the Beast.
    Going a little bit off-topic, a lot of people told me absolutely not to miss "Wicked"...Your thoughts?

I know it's not disney and that I am asking this to crazy disney fans like me, but honestly wich show would you choose if you had to, Beauty & The Beast or Wicked?
    Last edited by massimo; 02-02-2007 at 07:56 AM. Reason: forgot a date
    Visit my blog at

2008: Disneyland (15 years after the 1st visit!)
    2007: World of Disney New York City
    2006 Disneyland Resort Paris
    1992: Euro Disney Resort
    2005: Tokyo Disney Resort
    1998-2005: Disneyland Paris
    1997: Walt Disney World
    1993: Disneyland

• Too far from Disney World

OOOO...Tough pick. I haven't seen either and I LOVE the book Wicked. It is constantly sold out in Cincinnati when it comes through and some people I work with have traveled to Chicago to see it. I've listened to some of the sound track and it sounds wonderful!

At the same time Beauty and the Beast is closing and it's supposed to be wonderful as well. I'd proably go with Beauty and the Beast myself as it's one of my personal faves!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Practically Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by massimo
    I know it's not disney and that I am asking this to crazy disney fans like me, but honestly wich show would you choose if you had to, Beauty & The Beast or Wicked?
    I only have ever seen a small dinner theatre production of Beauty and the Beast. However, I DID see the touring company of Wicked. I LOVED Wicked and would see it again in a heartbeat. Amazing. Tough choice, but I would go with whichever one YOU are more interested in!

Tough choice Beauty vs Wicked1 I would go with B and the B because it's closing and it is AMAZINGLY good. You'll always have another chance to see Wicked, it is not in any danger of closing soon and they still have tours.
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

Perhaps have some fun with some detective work...and try to find the address/location of the Colony Theater where Mickey Mouse premiered in Steamboat Willie in 1928...and go visit it?