Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney Sequel: New Disneyland Boss To Oversee Changes, Possible Third Park

The Orange County Business Journal had a lengthy interview with Ed Grier, President of the Disneyland Resort.

http://www.ocbj.com/article.asp?aID=...29&aID2=109571

Grier also is involved in planning for a possible third Anaheim park.

First talked about in 2000, Disney wants a “third gate” on a 75-acre parcel near Harbor Boulevard and Katella Avenue. The land has been used for little more than employee parking since the 2001 tourism downturn.

Now that things are humming again—if not booming—the company is thinking about expansion.

“What’s important for us is to focus on what’s (going to be there) for the next 50 years,” he said.

Coming from Tokyo, where Grier was part of the masterplanning team, he has a grip on how the process works.

There’s no firm plan for the Anaheim land yet, he said, despite rumors of a Wide World of Sports-type complex.

“We probably have more ideas than we have room for,” Grier said.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Sequel: New Disneyland Boss To Oversee Changes, Possible Third Park

This is exciting news. And it may take them quite some time to pick a theme, plan a park, and start building. So, I'm sure it will be a parking lot for quite some time to come.

However, Sports theme? I think not. You can do better than that Disney. Give us a Wonderful World of Disney park, or Disney Sea, or a park themed to the Air, Land, Sea, and Fantasy.

But whatever they do, this park will be judged from the first concept sketch to reality based upon its level of detail and scope. Build another DCA and we'll be right there to take pictures of every bad decision. Build a gate worthy of its Disneyland neighbor and we'll lead the promotional blitz. It's all up to you now Disney.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I vote for DisneySea, if anyone at TDA is wondering
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

I wish that Disney would finally do a Disney museum for all those things we loved that are not appropriate in Disneyland anymore.

Have a Circlevision theater to rotate the various versions of Circlevision. Sure, America the Beautiful is outdated but in a museum type setting it would wonderful.

And of course America Sings, the original Carousel of Progress, the original Journey Into Imagination, Horizons, World of Motion, Magic Journeys, Mickey Mouse Club 3D Jamboree...

It wouldn't be a park to attract typical teenagers but the kids would all enjoy it, plenty of parents and grandparents would enjoy it and Disney fans of every age. Then again, why not throw in two fast rides. They can be thrill rides but still be themed to classic resorts. Hey, if Space Mountain can project images of people dancing on the ceiling, a roller coaster with projections of Disney resort things of the past should be possible. Even mix real announcements of the resorts into a crazy rock mix.

I think an Adventure Thru Inner Space or Mission to Mars would be a lot of fun knowing it is something from the past. As a present attraction I don't think it would work at a park. They are outdated. But seeing that giant eyeball in Inner Space would be fun and funny nowadays.

All the displays from the Sleeping Beauty castle could be displayed in a setting that is deemed safer.

Of course a museum setting would lend itself to new attractions for classic television presentations and photos.

Who know, maybe they could even bring back some classic parades like Party Gras or shows like Showbiz Is or One Man's Dream.

They could even bits or pieces of attractions, for example, the pirate that used to sit on the barrel in Pirates. Not the whole attraction, but the pirate, and people could get their picture with it. The Barker bird from the Tiki Room could be fully operational. And maybe recreate things like the Ford Motorway from the World's Fair that was narrated by Walt himself. Sure some of those things are in the railroad diorama but there's so much that isn't.

There can even be listening stations to hear classic soundtracks like the first people mover, old park announcements and spiels, the Walter Cronkite narration of Spaceship Earth.

I understand the Disney parks need to change and be updated but it seems that they forget that there's also a part of us that loves to hold on to our past. The very reason TV Land is so popular. Nostalgia. I personally love going to Haunted Mansion and Pirates without wondering if they took out my favorite things. I used to LOVE that dark tunnel in Pirates with the dialogue of, "Perhaps ye knows too much. Ye seen the cursed treasure..." I wish they would concentrate on new and improved and just let a few things be sacred. I mean update the technology and effects but let a few things be sacred.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
    In true Disney fashion, this type of museum would be the first of its kind. An audio/visual experience. It would probably draw people from all over the world, including those that currently go to Florida, because it would be so unique.

• Splash Mountain addict.

I'm all for a Tokyo Disney Sea-esque park being built on the land.

Then again, they might end up building another Disney-MGM/Walt Disney Studios, seeing as it's the only place in the Disney universe where having a park like that is fitting.

• rockin butter sponge!

I was just looking at this lot on Google Earth the other day and wondering if a new park was in the works.. apparently, it is! Way to go Disney!
    Now, we need to formulate a plan to befriend Steel Workers, Plumbers, Carpenters ect.. they are the ones that can get us the pictures :P *tee hee*

This brightend my morning!

• World Traveler

They should fix DCA before starting another park!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Hear, hear!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• the F.O.D. solution.

My thoughts exactly!

• Know More Than You Should

Disney (once again) has a great opportunity here. The 50th celebration showed that Disneyland can really bring in the numbers, and with three parks Disneyland resort could truly be a vacation destination, not just a one day resort.

My only hope, whatever they decide, is that they learn from the mistakes of Disney's California Adventure. Bring us to a place we haven't been before. Take us away from Anaheim and California, and bring us to some place new and exciting, and full of adventure.

What would I like to see? Well I know its an oldy- but...

WESTCOT!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

EXACTLY!

Good lord, what are they thinking?! Do they honestly think that DCA is just going to fix itself? If anything needs serious priority in building, it's DCA.

Once they've fixed that, then they should make a Disney Sea Oooh! And we could get a Little Mermaid ride! Her castle can be the centerpoint/weenie of the park!

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by ChimneySweep View Post
    I wish that Disney would finally do a Disney museum for all those things we loved that are not appropriate in Disneyland anymore.

Have a Circlevision theater to rotate the various versions of Circlevision. Sure, America the Beautiful is outdated but in a museum type setting it would wonderful.

And of course America Sings, the original Carousel of Progress, the original Journey Into Imagination, Horizons, World of Motion, Magic Journeys, Mickey Mouse Club 3D Jamboree...

It wouldn't be a park to attract typical teenagers but the kids would all enjoy it, plenty of parents and grandparents would enjoy it and Disney fans of every age. Then again, why not throw in two fast rides. They can be thrill rides but still be themed to classic resorts. Hey, if Space Mountain can project images of people dancing on the ceiling, a roller coaster with projections of Disney resort things of the past should be possible. Even mix real announcements of the resorts into a crazy rock mix.

I think an Adventure Thru Inner Space or Mission to Mars would be a lot of fun knowing it is something from the past. As a present attraction I don't think it would work at a park. They are outdated. But seeing that giant eyeball in Inner Space would be fun and funny nowadays.

All the displays from the Sleeping Beauty castle could be displayed in a setting that is deemed safer.

Of course a museum setting would lend itself to new attractions for classic television presentations and photos.

Who know, maybe they could even bring back some classic parades like Party Gras or shows like Showbiz Is or One Man's Dream.

They could even bits or pieces of attractions, for example, the pirate that used to sit on the barrel in Pirates. Not the whole attraction, but the pirate, and people could get their picture with it. The Barker bird from the Tiki Room could be fully operational. And maybe recreate things like the Ford Motorway from the World's Fair that was narrated by Walt himself. Sure some of those things are in the railroad diorama but there's so much that isn't.

There can even be listening stations to hear classic soundtracks like the first people mover, old park announcements and spiels, the Walter Cronkite narration of Spaceship Earth.

I understand the Disney parks need to change and be updated but it seems that they forget that there's also a part of us that loves to hold on to our past. The very reason TV Land is so popular. Nostalgia. I personally love going to Haunted Mansion and Pirates without wondering if they took out my favorite things. I used to LOVE that dark tunnel in Pirates with the dialogue of, "Perhaps ye knows too much. Ye seen the cursed treasure..." I wish they would concentrate on new and improved and just let a few things be sacred. I mean update the technology and effects but let a few things be sacred.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
    In true Disney fashion, this type of museum would be the first of its kind. An audio/visual experience. It would probably draw people from all over the world, including those that currently go to Florida, because it would be so unique.
    In short: Yesterland!

They might need to have a sucessful park to pay for DCA to be fixed.
    I don't want to pick on anyone, however, it seems 'imagination' has left the world. I'm glad 'Pirates' and the 'Haunted Mansion' were created when they were; can you imgine the current crew of imagineers doing the mansion? Just think: ghosts painted on hanging flats...waving back & forth; a staircase instead of 'stretching windowless and doorless elevator;
    a walkthrough instead of a ridethrough. Sickening. Think I'm kidding? Look at DCA. I think they should install a themed water park!
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Banned User

Does despite means forget about it?

Like despite the rumors meaning forget about the rumors?

I don't want to throw the cold bucket of reality on folks, but don't expect a third park ... even a water park on that land.

This story was placed by TDA on the eve of the press event, and was designed to placate some critics who felt Ed's first interview (with the OC Register) said nothing (which it did).

Guess what?

This story says nothing (of substance) and has enough qualifiers to make a lawyer happy.

And with all the money Disney is going to be tossing into DCA in the next five years, plus the desire to get the DVC cashcow into the California market ... well, anyone who thinks they'll be a third park is just not being realistic.

And, no, count me amongst those who would never want to see it while DCA is a mess and DL doesn't get regular updates. As someone who's watched WDW grow from one park to the four park complex it is now, bigger is most certainly not better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast