Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Oscar Party Ideas

There is a guy at my work who loves movies and every year he has an Oscar Party. He lives in a small apartment so for the last three years I have offered up my house for the event. It is a lot of fun and I am always looking for new ideas to liven up the party. Do you have any to share?

We like to feature food from each of the years Best Picture nominees. This year those films are: The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, The Queen, Babel and Letters From Iwo Jima. Ideas might include: scones and tea for Queen, Japanese favorites for Iwo Jima, KFC, waffles and chocolate ice cream for Sunshine, international favorites for Babel and maybe some diner type food for Departed. It's always a trick to fit food to the movies. Last year for Brokeback Mountain we had beans!

My friend watches all the past winners every year, if you can believe that! Each year he puts together quotes from each of the best picture winners and invites us to name the film and the actor who said it. There are prizes for the winners that include DVDs and theater tickets. Those quotes are quite challenging!

My husband started a new contest last year that involves music from the movies. He puts together about 20 songs on a disk and the person who can come up with the most correct answers wins. Our prizes include gift cards to Best Buy, gift cards to movie theaters and a baked good from me. (I make cakes for all my co-workers birthdays.)

We also have an Oscar poll to predict the winners. Everyone throws in $1 and the winner gets the money. The loser gets the worst DVD of the year as posted at the Razzies the night before.

Our Oscar parties have become the talk of our work place and all look forward to it each year. I am interested in how you all celebrate the Oscars. Let's hear them! Oh, can I use your suggestions? I'll give you credit. And if anyone can suggest some food to go along with this years Best Picture nominees, I would greatly appreciate it!

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Re: Oscar Party Ideas

When I was in college and still living at the dorms, I'd host Oscar parties in the lounge. This was the year of "Lord of the Rings" and "Moulin Rouge," so we asked everyone to dress as a character from their favorite Oscar nominee.
    We also bought a bunch of little gold rings in the wedding/craft department at W**mart, and we gave those out as favors. It was a good time. Can you tell who we were rooting for?
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

Favors are a good idea Bibliophile, we have not done that in the past. I will have to think about that. I see that M&M's now have personalized messages and colors. That might be fun.

I was dissapointed that Dreamgirls did not get nominated for Best Picture. All the experts thought for sure it was a done deal. The Departed is a great film but after seeing it I vowed never to watch a mob movie again. It was a great story though and it has my vote for BP. Many now think Babel will win since Dreamgirls is not in it. I haven't seen it so I cannot comment on it. The Queen is good but not enough there to win and Sunshine is a long shot but I would love to see it win.

Helen Mirren should win and she deserves it. She was Elizabeth. I would like to see Leo or Will win, but the odds are on Forrest Whitaker. Supporting will probably go to Hudson and Murphy and I couldn't be happier. My favorite catagory is animation and I think Cars has it locked up.

How about you Bibliophile? Who are you rooting for?

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I would love to make my party even better than last year. Wish you could all attend! Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

• Directly directed

I have an Oscar party every year as well! We send out really nice invites and make sure everyone comes in oscar attire. I always get red butcher paper to make a red carpet up to the house and in the hallway. I'm always outside beforehand along with my cameraman to film the guests as the come up the walk. I'm interested to know where they got their outfit, who they're rooting for and what movie they think will win. We usually go with appetizers (you know those Hollywood type, they don't like to eat ) and bubbly and sparkling cider in which to have a toast at the end to the winners. We also bet but for all the categories. You can get a checklist at the oscar website. During boring bits the cameras come out again and we pose in our elegant attire. It's always great fun but I've never had themed food before! I like it! Oh and I have a fake oscar I got a special hollywood themed store and we vote among ourselves for who was best dressed and put on the best performance of the night and that person gets to pose with oscar.
    For decorations I have a lot of red satin that only comes out this time of year. I put it over all the tables, Oscar of course, has a stand, and I have this great sign for the door that says VIPs only. Oscar night is one of the best nights of the year!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    We also have an Oscar poll to predict the winners. Everyone throws in $1 and the winner gets the money. The loser gets the worst DVD of the year as posted at the Razzies the night before.
    Egad, no body deserves a copy of "Click"
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    I have an Oscar party every year as well! We send out really nice invites and make sure everyone comes in oscar attire. I always get red butcher paper to make a red carpet up to the house and in the hallway. I'm always outside beforehand along with my cameraman to film the guests as the come up the walk. I'm interested to know where they got their outfit, who they're rooting for and what movie they think will win.
    That sounds like a cute idea and I wish I could do that, but chances are it will be cold here in Pittsburgh, and by the time we start the party, it will also be dark. But I like your other suggestions, thanks Alice.

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Egad, no body deserves a copy of "Click"
    Is it really that bad? My husband walked out on it while he was on a trip. I was going to NetFlix it but maybe I shouldn't?

• Banned User

the departed was set in boston right? of course you said last year you served beans for brokeback mountain, but boston has baked beans and of course sea food. maybe a chowder or something. I have always wanted to do an oscar party. I would have the guests dress as their favorite "celevbrity" and then do a red carpet in front of the house. maybe have someone dressed like reporter and photographer. I wish they had the old polaroid cameras, then you could give the picture as a party favor. another favor that we gave out for a party was the lighted ice cubes, you could serve them in drinks and then people get to take them home. we also placedthem in a basket so you could take one on the way out. have a great time and enjoy the oscars.

• Do you have a 27B/6?

How about you Bibliophile? Who are you rooting for?

Oh, man, I totally don't deserve the title of Movie Buff, because I somehow managed to avoid ALL of this year's BP nominees. I don't know how that happened. I see movies all the time! The last one I really enjoyed was "Children of Men," so I'll be rooting for that whenever it pops up.

I liked "Dreamgirls" too.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

ive always wanted to go to an oscar party

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    I wish they had the old polaroid cameras, then you could give the picture as a party favor. another favor that we gave out for a party was the lighted ice cubes, you could serve them in drinks and then people get to take them home. we also placedthem in a basket so you could take one on the way out. have a great time and enjoy the oscars.
    They still make those type of cameras. I even have one. Thanks for the ideas. I wonder where you can buy those ice cubes. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1 View Post
    ive always wanted to go to an oscar party
    If you bring your friend Orlando, you are welcome at my house anytime!

• Do you have a 27B/6?

I wonder where you can buy those ice cubes. Does anyone know?
    I would just "froogle" "light-up ice cubes," if I were you, Nancy. I did, and there's such a variety (colors and shapes and whatnot).

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

They still make those type of cameras. I even have one. Thanks for the ideas. I wonder where you can buy those ice cubes. Does anyone know?

If you bring your friend Orlando, you are welcome at my house anytime!
    your just using me

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1 View Post
    your just using me
    Is that so wrong? By the way, are you friends with Johnny as well? Just asking.

• Circle of Ancients

Nancywitt....sounds like you have a killer party!

I want to steal some of your ideas! And of course, I'll give YOU credit for them!

Do your guests dress up for the party? We have the gals dress up in evening gowns if we do a party and we try to get the guys to dress up to but they've never been as cooperative.

We also have given out little party bags with Oscar trophies in them and some candy.

Maybe you could have some kind of red carpet rolled out in front of your front door and have someone take pictures with a poloroid camera of your guests arriving and then put the pictures in cute frames as a parting gift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast