Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The Biz: Flash! Disneyland No Longer The Happiest Place On Earth - Brandweek, 1/29/07

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/magazine..._id=1003538537

DISNEY will relay the first global positioning for its 10 parks with "WhereSpeak," a principle that will guide future messaging for all media, products, promotions and even its cast members.

While the parks shared a promo message for Disneyland's 50th anniversary in 2005, "WhereSpeak" will guide Disney's first true global campaign and branding initiative.

Anaheim, Calif.'s Disneyland has long been known as "The Happiest Place on Earth," but research showed that people define Disney's parks as the place "Where Dreams Come True." That concept launches in a print campaign shot by Annie Leibovitz (Brandweek, June 8) starring Scarlett Johansson (Cinderella), Beyoncé (Alice) and David Beckham (Prince Phillip).

An eight-page booklet runs in March issues of Condé Nast mags. Soon after, Disney will roll out nonceleb ads featuring WhereSpeak copy and parks' everyday transformational moments.

WhereSpeak was developed after Disney tested concepts and found people shared an unaided response. Regardless of race, age, gender, location or whether they were Disney vets or virgins, people viewed the parks as where the magic happens.

So, ads will show visitors of all ages paired with such WhereSpeak as "Where heroes become sidekicks" (a boy and Toy Story's Cowboy Woody lean against Frontierland posts) and "Where glass slippers come in every size" (three generations of gals wear tiaras). Disney's agencies include Mcgarrybowen, New York, and Leo Burnett, Chicago.

"A campaign comes and goes," said Michael Mendenhall, evp-global marketing for Walt Disney Parks. "This is something we will embody in our business—we will integrate WhereSpeak language into everything we do."

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Huh?

Re: The Biz: Flash! Disneyland No Longer The Happiest Place On Earth - Brandweek, 1/2

"Where 50 year-old time-tested slogans that everybody knows are dumped down the drain just so another thread on how stupid Disney is can emerge on the Internet...."
    -Tim

• World Traveler

Re: The Biz: Flash! Disneyland No Longer The Happiest Place On Earth - Brandweek, 1/2

The more exposure they Disney parks have, the better. It doesn't matter what the slogan is.

• U. B. Bold

"WhereSpeak" sounds like something out of George Orwell's 1984 - definately not a happy place.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• rockin butter sponge!

I actually agree that Disney is "Where Dreams Come True" because there were times i went as a child, and things happened throughout the day that made me say "this isn't the happiest place on earth" I love the re-branding here.

• Minion

ORDDU: Actually, it DOES matter what a slogan is, when the particular slogan in question has been so closely identified with a particular park and the man who created it. A witch wouldn't expect a Disney apologist with Jay Rasulo-like visions for the future Disney theme parks to understand this concept, of course.

• Huh?

I don't mind the "Where Dreams Come True" campaign as a whole for Disney parks. I just don't like the thought that "The Happiest Place on Earth" is being abandoned altogether.
    -Tim

• Senior Minion

Change is a good thing, it truly is, but it seems like they are doing too many things at once and it's not making me happy.

• Earth Intruder

Chernabog: "What was that?"

Gn2Dlnd (frowns): "WhereSpeak."

Chernabog: "WhereSpeak?"

Gn2Dlnd (points): "THERE Speak. THERE Castle!"

Chernabog: "Why are you talking like that?"

Gn2Dlnd: "I thought you wanted me to...."

Last edited by Chernabog; 01-29-2007 at 09:55 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Parmageddon Jim

HA!

(That's an actual transcript of this morning's pre-coffee conversation)
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Minion

"Where MBAs Plant Their Heads Firmly Up Their *****!"

"Where Marketing Execs Smell Their Own Farts!"

• Minion FOREVER!

This is what happens when Marketing folks break one of their own rules: know your
    customers and your product.

And to tailor a message/product for those customers.

It's stupid to not be able to recognize the inherent differences between the park.
    But this is what happens when you go to marketing folks who have not worked
    AT THE PARKS!

If one doesn't know any difference between WDW, DLR, TDR, DLP, and HKDL
    then you come with the assumption that you NEED a global messaging, then this
    is exactly what you come up with.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

I know another theme park company that tried something like this.

Six Flags.

They're doing just fabulous nowadays.

•   
    • Minion

Where deep fried churros clog arteries.

Where "happiness" ends after 50 years.

I hate "WhereSpeak" - REC has used it for their marketing campaign for the last 10 years with "Where Fantasy Reins" Way to follow!
    Check out my other blog:

I assume that "WHERESPEAK" knows that Mr. Beckham will be portraying Prince Charming, rather than "Prince Philip", right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast