BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Lea Salonga to star in 'Cinderella' tour - playbill.com 1/26/07

The singing voice of "Jasmine" & "Mulan":

Lea Salonga to Star in Cinderella Tour

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    26 Jan 2007

Lea Salonga
    Tony Award winner Lea Salonga, who returns to the Broadway stage March 6 as Fantine in the current revival of Les Misérables, will head the cast of an international tour of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella.

A spokesperson for the Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization confirmed to Playbill.com that Salonga will play the title role in a summer 2008 tour that will commence in her homeland of the Philippines. Broadway Asia Entertainment will produce the tour, which will also play mainland China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. No other details about the tour have been announced.

Lea Salonga burst onto the London and New York theatre scene as Kim in the international hit musical Miss Saigon. For her performance, she was awarded the Laurence Olivier, Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle and Theatre World awards. On Broadway she was also seen in another Boublil Schönberg musical, Les Misérables, as the ill-fated Eponine, a role she would later repeat in the concert video of the musical. Her most recent Broadway appearance was in the revival of R & H's Flower Drum Song.

Featuring music by Richard Rodgers and lyrics and a book by Oscar Hammerstein II, Cinderella is based on the 1957 television special starring Julie Andrews. Directed by Ralph Nelson, the "Cinderella" TV broadcast originally aired on CBS March 31, 1957. The program drew more than 107 million viewers.

Song titles from "Cinderella" include "The Prince Is Giving a Ball," "In My Own Little Corner," "Impossible," "It's Possible," "Gavotte," "Ten Minutes Ago I Saw You," "Stepsisters' Lament," "Waltz for a Ball," "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?," "When You're Driving Through the Moonlight," "A Lovely Night" and "The Search."
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/105230.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Directly directed

Re: Lea Salonga to star in 'Cinderella' tour - playbill.com 1/26/07

I love Lea Solonga! She would make a wonderful cinderella! I'd love to see her again. Too bad it's not coming to the US

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Block, Callaway, Clark, Foster, Salonga and More
    Set for Nothing Like a Dame 2007

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    05 Feb 2007

Lea Salonga
    A host of the theatre's leading ladies will take part in the 12th Annual Nothing Like a Dame concert March 19 at the Marquis Theatre. The annual fundraiser benefits The Phyllis Newman Women's Health Initiative of The Actors' Fund of America.

Playbill.com has learned that the evening will boast the talents of Stephanie J. Block, Liz Callaway, Victoria Clark, Kate Clinton, Joyce Didonato, Jill Eikenberry, Melissa Errico, Sutton Foster, Jenn Gambatese, Ana Gasteyer, Milena Govich, Jennifer Holliday, Judy Kuhn, Beth Leavel, Julianna Margulies, Maureen McGovern, Varla Jean Merman, Julia Murney, Bebe Neuwirth, Lynn Redgrave, Lea Salonga, Jennifer Smith and Julie White. Also taking part will be the women from the casts of In the Heights and Company as well as young dancers from the Westchester Dance Academy. Show time is 8 PM.

One highlight of the evening will be Callaway and Salonga's duet on "I Still Believe," which they premiered on Broadway in the original cast of Miss Saigon in 1991.
    The Actors' Fund of America is the only national non-profit organization that provides for the social welfare of all entertainment professionals. Since 1996, The Actors’ Fund has focused on helping women in the industry who are coping with critical health concerns through The Fund's Phyllis Newman Women's Health Initiative. Initiated by Actors’ Fund Trustee Newman, the Women’s Health Initiative offers a roster of services to help women access health care and to coordinate support services.

Tickets for Nothing Like a Dame are available by calling (212) 840-0770 or by visiting www.broadwaycares.org.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/105480.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    I love Lea Solonga! She would make a wonderful cinderella! I'd love to see her again. Too bad it's not coming to the US
    I would love to hear her sing the songs from Cinderella. I'm sure she'd do better than both Brandy and Leslie Ann Warren. I wish that was coming to the US, that would be a show to see.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Outside of Julie Andrews, I believe that Lea Salonga has the clearest, purest most beautiful voice. She's going to be wonderful in Cinderella.

Thanks for sharing!