• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

So you want to work for Disney Studios....

Someone at Cartoonbrew.com was nice enough to post a employee handbook for the Disney Studios from 1943. Enjoy.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/archives/2007_01.html#002683
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• A New Kind Of Villain

Re: So you want to work for Disney Studios....

One thing definitely caught my eye and I'm questioning the reasoning behind this:

Sick Leave policy says Men have 5 days of Sick Leave per year, while women have 10. I'm wondering if this is somehow in place of Maternity Leave... I'm really curious as to the why of these gender-differentiated practices almost 65 years ago.

Oh... And the Penthouse Club is for men only. Phooey. Not like I wanted to go anyway...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• rockin butter sponge!

wow.. the Penthouse club.. how.. no words.
    lol

• Creative Director

well...that was 1943!

• Senior Minion

It asks for a login name and password.....
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    well...that was 1943!
    True, I can understand the reasoning behind the Penthouse Club being a male-exclusive club; but I'm still wondering what the logical reason was behind giving women double the sick leave days than men. Was it in place of maternity leave? Did they even have maternity leave back then? Or was it just that they maybe saw a period as a "sickness" back then and added the extra sick leave days so they wouldn't come to work during those times (Come on guys, don't pretend like you wouldn't want to keep the girls away during that time of the month ).

I wonder if it was standard practice to all business and not just Disney... too many questions...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    It asks for a login name and password.....
    It won't let me look at it either.

• Mousketeer

The link should work now.

• World Traveler

The "Penthouse Club" ??? I can only imagine the things that went on there!

Great find! Thanks for posting that!

Here's my own contribution in a more humorous "learning the ropes" vein...from a Disney animator of the same period:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    The "Penthouse Club" ??? I can only imagine the things that went on there!
    A lot of Disney history took place at the Penthouse Club. About the worst things that went on up there were cigar smoking, poker games, and dirty joke telling. So don't let your imagination run too wild there.

It was on the top floor of the old Animation Building. As of a few years ago...it was still there. And still being used for private functions. Been a few years since I was up there.

Here's the only shot I could find in my collection that was taken in the Penthouse:

Really just a big room on the top of the building, with tables and chairs and a kitchen, where the "guys" used to hang out.

Another "private club" at the Disney Studios was the old "Coral Room." It was a small full service waitered restaurant right next to the old commissary. You had to be in upper management to make a reservation there. It was later renamed "The Garden Terrace" and opened to all studio employees. When the Team Disney building was built (the Michael Graves building with the Dwarfs)...it included a very nice dining room called "The Rotunda" that is also private...open for reservations only to "Director" level management and above (those with a Gold stripe running across their ID cards).

• Banned User

it was common in the 40s to have exclusive member only mens clubs even at work. it was usually a place for men to get together smoke and make deals. so it doesn't surprise me that one or two existed at the studios. as far as women having more sick days, If I remember right, walt disney studios was one of the first studios to employ women on a full time basis and there were at the time health issues regarding a woman's "time of the month" and so they were allowed more leave, also this was war time and women were the heads of the household many times and they needed the extra time in case they had to take care of family matters. and 10 days was considered generous at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    ..it was common in the 40s to have exclusive member only mens clubs even at work. it was usually a place for men to get together smoke and make deals.
    Correct. Not only at the studios...but all over society.

Believe it or not, even the airlines had "men-only" flights as part of their timetables.

United Airlines had certain planes on certain routes designated as "The Executive" service. There were men-only flights that featured "complimentary cocktails, steaks, business publications and cigars on board."

And as hard as it might be to believe, these popular men-only flights didn't end until 1970! Other airlines had them as well.

Different world back then.

While the Penthouse Club probably did see some business deals struck up there...it was mainly designed as a men-only social club. A place where "the guys" at the studio could hang out and just chew the fat. There was also some guy...wish I could remember his name...that Walt hired to run a gym in one of the side rooms up there. He gave exercise classes.

There's actually a Penthouse Club Membership Card available on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-Walt-Disney...QQcmdZViewItem

And part of the item description notes these additional tid-bits:

This exclusive men's club operated on the top floor of the Animation Building at the Disney Studio. During the 1940's, gambling became a commonplace activity at the club until Jack Reeder (#3 man at the studio; behind Walt & Roy) put a stop to the lunch hour and evening poker games (at least temporarily). By 1948, Reeder had left the studio and Walt Disney had personally endorsed the return of the card games.

When Bob Guccione's magazine of the same name appeared on newstands, a backlash developed at the Disney Studio, making a "Disney" Penthouse Club seem entirely inappropriate. The club promptly became "The Roof", and was then opened to both men and women.

Of particular note on this card, is the original signature of Walt Pfeiffer (image not included in auction), boyhood friend of Walt Disney. Harkening back to their boyhood days in Kansas City, these two were inseparable as they entered their teen years. The Pfeiffer home was an encouraging environment for the "two Walt's" to experiment with acting, comedy, and vaudeville. Pfeiffer would later serve as a storyman, as the head of Personnel at the Studio, and as General Manager of "The Penthouse Club."
    Also includes the signature of Walt's "right hand man", HARRY TYTLE (serving as President of the Penthouse Club in 1959).

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    True, I can understand the reasoning behind the Penthouse Club being a male-exclusive club; but I'm still wondering what the logical reason was behind giving women double the sick leave days than men. Was it in place of maternity leave? Did they even have maternity leave back then?
    Well federal law for requiring maternity leave (w/o pay) the FMLA only came around in 1993 :o

But I would imagine it was more that women were more expected to take care of the family back then, and this reflects the social atmosphere. Kids sick? Mom goes home, etc

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Burbank 10 minutes from Anaheim? Oh I wish!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• back in Austin

Nice! Thanks for sharing!