• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Children's Place and Disney may tweak licensing deal - MarketWatch, 2/1/07

MarketWatch, 2/1/07
    Children's Place and Disney may tweak licensing deal

by Angela Moore

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - Children's Place Retail Stores Inc. on Thursday said it recently started talks with the Walt Disney Co. regarding potential modifications to certain terms of the company's long-term license agreement to operate the Disney Store retail chain in North America, some of which may be material. The Seacacus, N.J.-based retailer said talks are still at an early stage and it cannot predict modifications to the license agreement. If Children's Place is unable to reach agreement with Disney on the modifications, Disney may assert that certain defaults exist under the license agreement and Disney may reserve its rights and remedies under the agreement, the company said.
    Full Story: Children's Place and Disney may tweak licensing deal

• I was deleted.

Re: Children's Place and Disney may tweak licensing deal - MarketWatch, 2/1/07

Well since TCP technically has rights for almost all Disney characters but just has to but everything past the Disney Franchise board, this should be an interesting story to follow.

• Minion

Both sides are failing when there are out-of-character products like Disney Princess Cash Register/Scanner/Credit Card Swiper from Disney Stores... or the new Princess STARS (ie Bratz) dolls. Bad show.

• rockin butter sponge!

TDS just needs higher quality items, like the UK Disney Stores, which yes, are still owned by Disney. I mean, seriously, i could spend hours on all the beautiful things that the UK Disneystore offered!

Better stuffed aminals!!

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

How did I know BPF would be the first person to chime in on this one. They really need to just clean up what they have and go back to more of the high end stuff and NO MORE princess cell phones!!!

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• I'm not bad...

How about bring back mattel princess dolls for starters cause what they have right now is crap-tacular.

Gone but not forgotten.

• Shablagoo!

Since Children's Place took over I have accutally spent money there. I like them better than when DIsney ran them a few years back. However, if we could get the old style disney store back, you know the one that sells animation cels and really cool collectibles, I would prefer that.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Since Children's Place took over I have accutally spent money there. I like them better than when DIsney ran them a few years back. However, if we could get the old style disney store back, you know the one that sells animation cels and really cool collectibles, I would prefer that.
    That was Disney's decision to stop since the profit margin was quite low. These items take up a large about of space and make up a small amount of the sales, even in the high volume/traffic stores.

Yes, they are improving from what TDS was in the few years before their sale while still trying to keep up with various trends. This licensing issue must surround something blocking TCP from using specific characters or families on products/windows/displays, etc. Since most merchandise is set up about six months in advance, it wouldn't surprise me if this was surround the back-to-school product and/or Halloween products.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I expect Children's Place to come to an agreement with Disney fairly soon. Since taking over The Disney Store, CP has seen sizable increases in its cash flow and stock price (something Disney is well aware of). CP does not want to lose that. As long as Disney doesn't play hardball on licensing fees, I'm sure they'll come to terms.