• Banned User

new disney biography

My son got the new biography "Walt disney The Triumph of the Amercan Inagination" by Neal Gabler as a christmas gift, but I sort of borrowed it so I could read it first. I have read several disney biographies over the years and I will say that this was the best read I have had in a long time.
    the author was given total access to the disney archives at the studio and interviewed countless people in order to get information for the book.
    This is the first biography I have read that paints walt disney as a person, not some corporate icon. It starts before he was born and ends just after his death. THe book answered many questions I had like why he felt personally attacked because of the strike, and why he was so anti communist. I learned how and why WED began and about his tumultous realationship with roy. all in all it was the first bio that i read that balanced the bad with the good. and in parts of the book I swear i was reading a book about micheal eisner because walts life was about control and when he was in control of a project, whether a movie or a theme park he was a micromanager that was almost impossible to deal with. He was very exacting and demanding. THe difference between them is that walt would let roy worry about the cost. He didn't care about how much something cost he wanted it perfect.
    the book also gives the history of the studio and goes into great detail about how much movies cost, how the distribution deals were made, how the studio was forced to go into live action movies and so much more I can't remember it all.
    this truly is a book I would recommend to anyone whether they are a hardcore disneyholic or just someone with a passing interest in walt disney. I only wish that the author would write another book about the company after walt died.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: new disney biography

I agree with you Cmash, I loved it too! It is a massive book to get through though. I am only half way done but still enjoying it. Thanks for your review.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: new disney biography

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    My son got the new biography "Walt disney The Triumph of the Amercan Inagination" by Neal Gabler as a christmas gift, but I sort of borrowed it so I could read it first. I have read several disney biographies over the years and I will say that this was the best read I have had in a long time.
    the author was given total access to the disney archives at the studio and interviewed countless people in order to get information for the book.
    This is the first biography I have read that paints walt disney as a person, not some corporate icon. It starts before he was born and ends just after his death. THe book answered many questions I had like why he felt personally attacked because of the strike, and why he was so anti communist. I learned how and why WED began and about his tumultous realationship with roy. all in all it was the first bio that i read that balanced the bad with the good. and in parts of the book I swear i was reading a book about micheal eisner because walts life was about control and when he was in control of a project, whether a movie or a theme park he was a micromanager that was almost impossible to deal with. He was very exacting and demanding. THe difference between them is that walt would let roy worry about the cost. He didn't care about how much something cost he wanted it perfect.
    the book also gives the history of the studio and goes into great detail about how much movies cost, how the distribution deals were made, how the studio was forced to go into live action movies and so much more I can't remember it all.
    this truly is a book I would recommend to anyone whether they are a hardcore disneyholic or just someone with a passing interest in walt disney. I only wish that the author would write another book about the company after walt died.
    I agree, it's the best bio about Walt ever written. Gabler's research was exhaustive, gathered mostly from seven years of unrestricted access to the Disney archives.

I find your comparison to Eisner interesting. Agreed, both men were notorious micromanagers, but Eisner was motivated largely by profits, Walt by innovation and perfection. "Visionary" is not a word you'd associate with Michael Eisner.

I had the good fortune to interview Neal Gabler in October. He was an absolute pleasure to speak to and offered even more insight on Walt. It was always Gabler's intent to focus on Walt Disney the man, which is why the book doesn't contain any additional history of the company after Walt's death. I think you'll also enjoy Gabler's comments about Disney's daughter Diane, who was initially very skeptical about granting an interview for the book but ended up becoming a valuable source of information.

I hope you like the interview.