Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A new strategy?

  1. #1

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    A new strategy?

    Or just a very late, somewhat savvy move by WDW management to get the 'good Disney sites' (i.e. any site that isn't connected to a Lutz or a Hill) to come around to the company line?

    That's what came to mind when I saw all the 'coverage' of the Disney media whorefest last week. WDW has always steadfastly refused to credential Internet fan sites. Yet, now they apparently welcome them (well, any site that isn't connected to a Lutz or a Hill) . They also seemed to make it a point to have Disney execs, who frequently get ripped online, like Epcot's Brad Rex available for one-on-one interviews with bloggers with good reps like Deb Wills.

    I have to believe it's a calculated move by Jay Rasulo and corporate PR to counteract ... counterattack ... voices that are highly critical of JR and management in general.

    It's just too obvious to be anything else.

  2. #2

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,356

    Re: A new strategy?

    On a daily basis, we beseech Iger for the ouster of Rasulo (and provide ample justification for such a decision, I might add), so what would you do if you were him?

    This strategy won't have an effect, though. I'd take Lutz's sources over the inane ramblings of the hacks working under the mastermind behind the second bankrupting of Disneyland Paris, anyday.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 02-02-2007 at 03:17 AM.

  3. #3

    • time to go
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: A new strategy?

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    On a daily basis, we beseech Iger for the ouster of Rasulo (and provide ample justification for such a decision, I might add), so what would you do if you were him?

    This strategy won't have an effect, though. I'd take Lutz's sources over the inane ramblings of the hacks working under the mastermind behind the second bankrupting of Disneyland Paris, anyday.
    Darn tootin', PI. The savvy discussion board participant/reader knows who has the real scoop on Disney dirt.

    However... why oh why does Iger allow Team Rasulo to continue their reign of terror? Does he not care about long-term consequences of his lame decisions? Does he only care about short-term gain at the expense of long-term sustainability and profit? Does Iger not care about Rasulo robbing Peter to pay Paul, because he secretly knows that when Paul comes a-knockin' to be paid, Bob won't be around to answer?


    Over $7 billion paid for the Pixar brain trust, yet Iger is still listening to the Rasulo flying monkeys. Oh yeah... that's gettin' your money's worth!

    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

  4. #4

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,758
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: A new strategy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Darn tootin', PI. The savvy discussion board participant/reader knows who has the real scoop on Disney dirt.
    In a way I think it is hurting the other sites. People are increasing coming here because they know the news is no longer balanced elsewhere. A lot of my old favorite sites have become Disney gush-fests that ban users for mentioning that they don't like torn scrims in the Haunted Mansion. It is sad to see this happening to the community (and that other sites would cave in so quickly to get free dinners and passes to a media event).
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  5. #5

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: A new strategy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    However... why oh why does Iger allow Team Rasulo to continue their reign of terror? Does he not care about long-term consequences of his lame decisions? Does he only care about short-term gain at the expense of long-term sustainability and profit? Does Iger not care about Rasulo robbing Peter to pay Paul, because he secretly knows that when Paul comes a-knockin' to be paid, Bob won't be around to answer?
    Might I postulate an answer?

    I think it is because of the political pendelum effect that happened in Glendale Post Eisner.

    The criticism of the top Execultives was that Eisner was a micro-manager, not allowing anyone undernieth him in the corporate structure be anything more than sniveling pathetic "Yes" men. There where a few exceptions to this, like Kats, Wells, Ovits... Wells being the most effective, by keeping operations out of the hands of Eisner.

    When Iger stepped up... (And I think he was picked because he came from the Televison media side of the company - which needed differant kind of leadership than the Older Disney company could provide.) He took the "micro-manager" criticsm to heart.

    Its been almost two years now, and Iger hasn't cracked the whip, and might be somewhat reluctant to.

    What really gets me is this idea that "who reports to whome" is still governing interation of executives. I don't have a crystal ball to look at the Disney Conferance room, but there is evedence that this has changed, or is changing with a more crossover structure... WDI essencially has two people they report to, Rasulo and Lasseter. That is chaotic... To borrow a biblical idiom, no department can "serve two masters..."

    ------

    As for the earlier "whorefest," I think it comes from Iger's new strategy. We are the market Iger is trying to sell to... We are the ones who share Iger's interest in gadgets and content downloads...

    With Eisner - we were the enemy... We were the content pirates stealing from the company. We were the organizations that fought against his corporate tyrany...

    That is a huge shift in attitude...
    Check out my other blog:

  6. #6

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,271

    Re: A new strategy?

    Does this mean it's now ok to "bash" (in quotes, because what you write is probably true, and truth cannot be considered bashing) other sites? Or is it only administrators who are allowed to do that?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  7. #7

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: A new strategy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    In a way I think it is hurting the other sites. People are increasing coming here because they know the news is no longer balanced elsewhere. A lot of my old favorite sites have become Disney gush-fests that ban users for mentioning that they don't like torn scrims in the Haunted Mansion. It is sad to see this happening to the community (and that other sites would cave in so quickly to get free dinners and passes to a media event).
    Dusty ... you're forgetting about the free airfare, free hotels and rooms full of swag.

    That surely doesn't effect even legit reporters, right?

    I post on another site, but I'm more guarded and careful in what I place out on it.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, but Disney's biggest fear in the Internet world is that someone like Al comes along to cover WDW and its many blemishes.

    Of course, that would likely be a full-time job.

  8. #8

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: A new strategy?

    And as far as JR goes, I sincerely hope the Year of a Million Dreams is the rope he uses to hang himself with this absurd globalization/branding scheme that extends no further than the USA borders!

  9. #9

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: A new strategy?

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    And as far as JR goes, I sincerely hope the Year of a Million Dreams is the rope he uses to hang himself with this absurd globalization/branding scheme that extends no further than the USA borders!
    It isn't "absurd" - I understand the methodology behind it...

    I just question abandoning exhisting brand recognition which is rock solid and unbelievably strong - build on a national campaign that was much stronger yet unconventional... And in its place, create new branding that much much weaker because it targets conventional marketing channels...

    This makes no sense...

    I hope it doesn't work too... Because I would prefer if Disney went back to the older marketing programs... (of course, if they did this, it would mean actually maintaining the asthetic of the property to a high degree.)
    Check out my other blog:

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] I need help with TDL strategy!
    By CatFromOuterSpace in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 10:29 PM
  2. Strategy for the Gumball Rally
    By Villains Fan in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 04:33 PM
  3. Best Fastpass Strategy
    By Gyoza Dog in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 06:31 AM
  4. Renew AP Strategy: Can I do this?
    By makemyfilm in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 02:20 AM
  5. New Nor Cal Marketing strategy...
    By cellarhound in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •