Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cartoon Wasteland
    Posts
    4,828
    Blog Entries
    68

    Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Financial Times, 2/1/07
    Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes

    Downloads of Walt Disney films on the iTunes platform have risen sharply to more than 1.3m after only three months on sale, putting pressure on other Hollywood studios to join Apple’s digital service.

    Disney began selling its new movies on iTunes in October. But other studios have resisted its lead, partly because of fears that they will upset retailers such as Wal-Mart and Target, which are responsible for most DVD sales in the US.

    Target has expressed concerns about the effect of downloading on DVD sales and pricing. But in an exclusive video interview on FT.com, Bob Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said digital distribution was “creating more consumption of media”. He added: “The message that we deliver to our traditional [retail] partners is that the pie is getting bigger.”
    Full Story: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes

    FT.com Interview with Bob Iger

  2. #2

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    wow.. who is buying this stuff? amazing

    Spend several hours to download a film.. with less features.. and no 'backup'.. that you have to spend even more money to see it on your TV.. or go buy the DVD in walmart for the same money or less, get more, and have a copy that you can store easily.. AND still watch on your computer if you wanted to. Or watch it on demand for $5

    Until apple lets you keep a purchase history and re-download anything you've previously bought.. I'll never heavily invest in their purchased downloads.

    Wonder what they are doing with feature animation that normally they only sell on DVD for specific time periods.. will they do the same thing online?

  3. #3

    • Directly directed
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    ^ Agreed. Besides won't it drop off with the new sale of the HDDVDs?

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    wow.. who is buying this stuff? amazing

    Spend several hours to download a film.. with less features.. and no 'backup'.. that you have to spend even more money to see it on your TV.. or go buy the DVD in walmart for the same money or less, get more, and have a copy that you can store easily.. AND still watch on your computer if you wanted to. Or watch it on demand for $5

    Until apple lets you keep a purchase history and re-download anything you've previously bought.. I'll never heavily invest in their purchased downloads.

    Wonder what they are doing with feature animation that normally they only sell on DVD for specific time periods.. will they do the same thing online?
    You've obviously never downloaded these movies. I have downloaded three Disney movies. Takes about 15 minutes each. I downloaded Freaky Friday (1976), Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, and Six Days, Seven Nights (Touchstone). Now if you don't back up your Hard Drive, that's your problme not Apple's or Disney's. In addition, if you lose or damage your DVD, does Target let you have another copy for free? No, they don't, so there is absolutely no reason that Apple should either. Be realistic. I've got the movies in my pocket wherever I go on my iPod, I can watch them on my 20" Wide Screen Flat Panel iMac, or I can watch them on my TV with the AppleTV box. I don't have DVD's lying around taking up space in my house.

    The future is digital. Music, Movies, TV Shows. I stopped buying physical CD's ages ago, and I'm stopping buying DVD's too. My entire library of movies and music will one day be completey digital residing on a central server (could be my iMac, or I could dedicate a box for it).

  5. #5

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cartoon Wasteland
    Posts
    4,828
    Blog Entries
    68

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    At this point, iTunes downloads aren't a replacement for DVD's--and because of cost, HDDVD's aren't running existing DVD's off . . . yet. What you're seeing is just different ways of viewing movies. As Iger says in the FT interview, the pie is getting bigger. There are just more choices on how to access movie content.

    Eventually, there will be a greater convergence of online and DVD/HDDVD entertainment, but not until the quality of downloadable content improves--and we're still a few years away from that.

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    ^ Agreed. Besides won't it drop off with the new sale of the HDDVDs?
    The ultimate future of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (of which Blu-Ray is the superior format) is for data use. All movies and music are going to completely digital with no physical media. Only a niche market looking for extra content will buy primary content on physical media in the future, and one day you will probably be able to download packages or disc images that can contain extra content anyway.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    At this point, iTunes downloads aren't a replacement for DVD's--and because of cost, HDDVD's aren't running existing DVD's off . . . yet. What you're seeing is just different ways of viewing movies. As Iger says in the FT interview, the pie is getting bigger. There are just more choices on how to access movie content.

    Eventually, there will be a greater convergence of online and DVD/HDDVD entertainment, but not until the quality of downloadable content improves--and we're still a few years away from that.
    Actually the quality is decent. Right now it's at 640x480 resolution. I could be more, and it will be, the only thing holding it back is higher speed broadband being available on a larger scale. Right now I have 10mbs down and that is a lot compared to most other ISP's who are still languishing at 5.

  8. #8

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    ^ Agreed. Besides won't it drop off with the new sale of the HDDVDs?
    Different stuff.. the current offerings don't even match up to existing DVDs... I don't see HDDVD changing the story of this at all. The current resolution offered online is basically DVD resolution - not higher

  9. #9

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    You've obviously never downloaded these movies. I have downloaded three Disney movies. Takes about 15 minutes each.
    Well apple's servers must love you more then me.. because they never give me more then about 100-159k/s.. and I'm sitting on a fiber OC-3 throttled to 15mbit directly into AT&T and even getting trailers from the itunes store is a miserable experience. Music is fine.. anything much larger they can't supply enough speed to make it reasonable. I get 1-2megs/sec from fast sites easy. At 200k/s the 1.7gig Pirates download will take 141 minutes - over 2hrs. You claim you got it at 15 minutes? That would be 1.8megs/sec download - or approximately a 15megabit connection. Only people getting that at home are FIOS connections or private fiber connected communities.

    For the more reasonable cable connected user.. 200-400k/s is more reasonable.. and that is still 1-2hrs/movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Now if you don't back up your Hard Drive, that's your problme not Apple's or Disney's.
    Backing up hundreds of gigs of video is way different then backing up my photos or taxes. Why should I have to back it up if I can simply reinstall it? They could allow you to redownload content, but they don't. That's an annoyance of digital-only delivery.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    In addition, if you lose or damage your DVD, does Target let you have another copy for free? No, they don't, so there is absolutely no reason that Apple should either.
    1) The DVD doesn't sit on my computer (and backups) taking up large amounts of valuable space either
    2) Target doesn't have the ability to duplicate my purchase without any media costs.. apple does.

    Be realistic. I've got the movies in my pocket wherever I go on my iPod, I can watch them on my 20" Wide Screen Flat Panel iMac, or I can watch them on my TV with the AppleTV box. I don't have DVD's lying around taking up space in my house.
    Time is more valuable to me then space. The DVD is still a better format because everything you listed.. you can still do with an original DVD. And I could go out, buy it, rip it, and put it on all my devices faster then I could go and download it from Apple.. AND get more features. Don't like the space? Put the DVDs in a binder.. get 300+ DVDs in a book the size of a binder.

    The future is digital. Music, Movies, TV Shows. I stopped buying physical CD's ages ago, and I'm stopping buying DVD's too. My entire library of movies and music will one day be completey digital residing on a central server (could be my iMac, or I could dedicate a box for it).
    And the amount of money you have to keep dumping to keep up with the storage and backup demands continues to rise.. and all while giving up functionality.

    The scale for bandwidth and storage (both online and offline) isn't quite there yet for mass migration to digital for everything. It's available, just not prolific or dirt cheap yet.

  10. #10

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    At this point, iTunes downloads aren't a replacement for DVD's--and because of cost, HDDVD's aren't running existing DVD's off . . . yet. What you're seeing is just different ways of viewing movies. As Iger says in the FT interview, the pie is getting bigger. There are just more choices on how to access movie content.
    Yeah.. but everything you can do with a downloaded movie. you can do with a DVD too.. just rip it.

    The future of digital content is to offer things BEYOND what the existing media can do.. movies on itunes isn't there yet. TV Shows are.. because the scale is smaller and its not something you can easily get (for the masses) otherwise. The techies will just get the shows off bittorrent or usenet, but for the masses.. itunes is a great medium to get that kind of content.

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Well apple's servers must love you more then me.. because they never give me more then about 100-159k/s.. and I'm sitting on a fiber OC-3 throttled to 15mbit directly into AT&T and even getting trailers from the itunes store is a miserable experience. Music is fine.. anything much larger they can't supply enough speed to make it reasonable. I get 1-2megs/sec from fast sites easy. At 200k/s the 1.7gig Pirates download will take 141 minutes - over 2hrs. You claim you got it at 15 minutes? That would be 1.8megs/sec download - or approximately a 15megabit connection. Only people getting that at home are FIOS connections or private fiber connected communities.

    For the more reasonable cable connected user.. 200-400k/s is more reasonable.. and that is still 1-2hrs/movie.



    Backing up hundreds of gigs of video is way different then backing up my photos or taxes. Why should I have to back it up if I can simply reinstall it? They could allow you to redownload content, but they don't. That's an annoyance of digital-only delivery.



    1) The DVD doesn't sit on my computer (and backups) taking up large amounts of valuable space either
    2) Target doesn't have the ability to duplicate my purchase without any media costs.. apple does.



    Time is more valuable to me then space. The DVD is still a better format because everything you listed.. you can still do with an original DVD. And I could go out, buy it, rip it, and put it on all my devices faster then I could go and download it from Apple.. AND get more features. Don't like the space? Put the DVDs in a binder.. get 300+ DVDs in a book the size of a binder.



    And the amount of money you have to keep dumping to keep up with the storage and backup demands continues to rise.. and all while giving up functionality.

    The scale for bandwidth and storage (both online and offline) isn't quite there yet for mass migration to digital for everything. It's available, just not prolific or dirt cheap yet.

    If you're taking that long to download movies with your supposed set up, you have a problem, and it's not Apple's. I merely subscribe to broadband service with RCN, 10mbs and the movies have taken 15-20 minutes each, depending on the size of the file. As far a space goes, I have a 250 GB HD in my Mac, and 500 GB and now 750 GB options are available when you order. In additon, you don't back up to to the same disk obviously, you back up to an external drive, so it isnt' taking up space on your main drive/startup disk. And no it isn't proflific or dirt cheap yet, but EVERYTHING is headed in that direction. I have ripped movies using Handbrake and it takes longer than it does to download from iTunes. Your system isn't working properly if it's taking that long.

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Why doesn't this forum allow you to edit posts?

    At any rate, just want to add that the iTunes movie downloads do have chapter stops, just not menu's or extra content, which I can pretty much do without.

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    My Pirates download came down fast, it did not take more than two hours. I know some people'd downloads took a very long time the first day it was available due to high demand and at Christmas for the same reason, but I know it took less than 30 minutes at the MOST. No lie here.

  14. #14

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    If you're taking that long to download movies with your supposed set up, you have a problem, and it's not Apple's. I merely subscribe to broadband service with RCN, 10mbs and the movies have taken 15-20 minutes each, depending on the size of the file.
    Numbers change now huh? You are not the norm either. 10mbit isn't average. Most cable subscribers are in the 4-6mbit range. Which gives you typically about 700+k/s. At a 1gig movie, that is still 24minutes.. and that's best case scenario.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    As far a space goes, I have a 250 GB HD in my Mac, and 500 GB and now 750 GB options are available when you order.
    Again.. dumping money to support something that you shouldn't have to. If you downloads are so fast.. why should you have to invest in storage dollars to keep all those movies? If its so fast, you should be able to grab them ondemand. And while you can say a 250 or 500gig HD is cheap.. that is a blinder's view of the world because you know backing up that drive isn't cheap or fast. Buying more and more HDs to back up other HDs is not a very sound backup long term backup solution. Permanent storage is better, and the medium to do that amount of data is not affordable at the home currently.

    Hanging more and more FW enclosures off your pretty iMac isn't a pretty way of addressing the problem. SImply buying bigger HDs isn't an answer. That's called brute force.

    People at home buy multiple HDs to back up their primary HD today simply because its the only reasonably priced method to backup data in the hundreds of gigs Range. And all you are doing is adding redudancy, not really backing up. Because you're simply playing 'I'll have two copies, in case one fails'.

    And lets not even get started with iTune's miserable abilities to handle files in multiple drives/locations if you have 'auto' enabled on its file management.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    And no it isn't proflific or dirt cheap yet, but EVERYTHING is headed in that direction.
    The future is nice.. but we don't live there when we go home at night

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Your system isn't working properly if it's taking that long.
    My system is fine.. its iTMS that doesn't want to feed us data fast. I even have iMacs in my compatibility lab that we test with it.. and they blow at it too. And I have iTMS at home, and it blows there as well.

    I'm less then 3ms from the nscnap.net node that feeds me data from itunes just does not do it fast. The data comes through as HTTP which we do not proxy nor shape. I can sit and watch the tcp sessions and it just doesn't feed us fast.

  15. #15

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Disney sells 1.3m films on iTunes - Financial Times, 2/1/07

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Numbers change now huh? You are not the norm either. 10mbit isn't average. Most cable subscribers are in the 4-6mbit range. Which gives you typically about 700+k/s. At a 1gig movie, that is still 24minutes.. and that's best case scenario.



    Again.. dumping money to support something that you shouldn't have to. If you downloads are so fast.. why should you have to invest in storage dollars to keep all those movies? If its so fast, you should be able to grab them ondemand. And while you can say a 250 or 500gig HD is cheap.. that is a blinder's view of the world because you know backing up that drive isn't cheap or fast. Buying more and more HDs to back up other HDs is not a very sound backup long term backup solution. Permanent storage is better, and the medium to do that amount of data is not affordable at the home currently.

    Hanging more and more FW enclosures off your pretty iMac isn't a pretty way of addressing the problem. SImply buying bigger HDs isn't an answer. That's called brute force.

    People at home buy multiple HDs to back up their primary HD today simply because its the only reasonably priced method to backup data in the hundreds of gigs Range. And all you are doing is adding redudancy, not really backing up. Because you're simply playing 'I'll have two copies, in case one fails'.

    And lets not even get started with iTune's miserable abilities to handle files in multiple drives/locations if you have 'auto' enabled on its file management.



    The future is nice.. but we don't live there when we go home at night



    My system is fine.. its iTMS that doesn't want to feed us data fast. I even have iMacs in my compatibility lab that we test with it.. and they blow at it too. And I have iTMS at home, and it blows there as well.

    I'm less then 3ms from the nscnap.net node that feeds me data from itunes just does not do it fast. The data comes through as HTTP which we do not proxy nor shape. I can sit and watch the tcp sessions and it just doesn't feed us fast.
    All I'm saying, is my experience was different from yours, and I download at home, not at work. My downloads came in very fast, so yes, I guess it does love me more than you. You asked who all these people were who were downloading. Well, if the experience is as bad as you say it is, the number of downloads wouldn't be so high. In addition content (music, movies, tv shows) on physical media is slowly dying, and every year that goes by this trend accelerates faster. You can choose to disbelieve what I am saying, it's up to you. I believe what you are saying and I believe there is a problem somewhere along the line with your set up (which seems to be a work or school set up for you, and not at home).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. itunes offers feature films in HD
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 04:34 PM
  2. Eisner strikes internet TV deal - Financial Times, 1/21/07
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 11:37 PM
  4. Apple in talks to offer movies at iTunes....Disney films?
    By pancakesaregood in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
  5. Disney gets a taste for fresh fruit - Financial Times 6/7/06
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 01:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •