• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Remembering "The Day The Music Died"

Saturday marks the 48th anniversary of one of the more tragic days in American musical history....and it's being remembered by a special event at the Buddy Holly Center in Lubbock, Texas.

On February 3, 2007, citizens can remember Lubbock’s most famous native son with all day activities at the Buddy Holly Center. On Saturday, February 3, the anniversary of Holly’s death, the Center will host a guided tour with Rock n’ roll historian Bill Griggs at 3:00pm. The Real Buddy Holly Story, produced by Paul McCartney, will be shown in the theater at 11:00am and 1:00pm, and there will be children’s activities all day in the classroom. The Day the Music Died is an opportunity to commemorate the lives of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson, whose lives tragically ended in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa during the Winter Dance Party tour in 1959.

http://www.buddyhollycenter.org/Spec...ic%20Died.html

Gee, do you mean the movie with Gary Busey wasn't the "Real" story?

There's no way to underestimate the talent of those killed on that fateful night, and just how far they would have gone - especially Buddy Holly, who was ahead of his time musically.

And Don McLean's rather complex "American Pie" refers to February 3, 1959 as "The Day The Music Died".

http://www.explainthelyrics.com/Amer...-DonMcLean.cfm

"Throughout the days
    Our True Love Ways
    Will bring us joys to share
    With those who really care..."

--Barry

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Remembering "The Day The Music Died"

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

Gee, do you mean the movie with Gary Busey wasn't the "Real" story?

I thought the Gary Busey played a great Buddy Holly in that movie.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I concur! Not only did Busey do a fantastic job in "The Buddy Holly Story" all the music performances were done live and not lip-synced! that's something that almost never done in movies before or since.

It is interesting to try and speculate on what these three would have done if they did not die in a plane crash. It's almost a certainty that Buddy Holly would have become a superstar. He was beginning to adapt to the musical times, which someone who becomes a star has to do. He was writing music and producing. He was already Waylon Jennings' mentor and probably would have taken many other musicians under his wing.

Of course on the other end of the spectrum, if it were not for the plane crash we probably would have never heard the name "Bobby Vee" the plane was headed to the next stop in Fargo, North Dakota. The Winter Dance Party went on for a few more days and a young Bobby Vee was chosen to be the replacement. He went on to Pop success from that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    I thought the Gary Busey played a great Buddy Holly in that movie.
    For the record, I thought so too. I was only speculating on the title "The Real Buddy Holly story".

As I recall, Busey was nominated for Best Actor for 1978 at the Academy Awards for his portrayal. I really wanted him to win. Jon Voigt took the Oscar for the anti-Vietnam film "Coming Home".

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 02-03-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post

It is interesting to try and speculate on what these three would have done if they did not die in a plane crash. It's almost a certainty that Buddy Holly would have become a superstar. He was beginning to adapt to the musical times, which someone who becomes a star has to do. He was writing music and producing. He was already Waylon Jennings' mentor and probably would have taken many other musicians under his wing.
    And of course Jennings was supposed to be on that flight...I confess that I don't know much about The Big Bopper beyond "Chantilly Lace"...but I do know that Richie Valens grew up in the Los Angeles area, and used to take part in the now-legendary shows they had in El Monte.

--Barry

•   
    • debating what to put here

The Real Buddy Holly Story, produced by Paul McCartney, will be shown in the theater at 11:00am and 1:00pm
    A little bit of trivia...

* Paul McCartney owns the rights to all of Buddy Holly's music.

* The glasses that Gary Busey wore in the movie were actually Buddy Holly's and given to Busey by Holly's family to use in the film.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Disappearing/Reappearing

well, being a big fan of that genre of music....it still stuns me that we lost such talent in one day.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Speaking of Valens, I think they did a good job with the "La Bamba" movie.

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for sharing

• Grumpy old man

I forgot today was the Day the Music Died. I shall pay tribute by listening to all 3 artists.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    A little bit of trivia...

* Paul McCartney owns the rights to all of Buddy Holly's music.

Funny that Michael Jackson owns the rights to so many Beatles songs.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad View Post
    I forgot today was the Day the Music Died. I shall pay tribute by listening to all 3 artists.
    Right now playing on my I-tunes..."Oh Boy" followed by "Rave On".

Classic.

--Barry

And the three men I admired most...the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost...they caught the last train for the coast, the day...the music....died.