Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• my two sunshines

Renaissance Pleasure Faire

http://www.renfair.com/socal/index.php

Is there a group that usually goes???? We try to go every year, no matter where we live - tho nothing has ever beaten the California Renn Faire!

We will probably go two days, stay with my Dad in Yorba Linda while we go

Anyone else???? They haven't listed what the weekend sub themes will be - last year in MD we went to the Scottish theme weekend. Not many Scots (tho we were trying to find Highlander LOL) Like I said nothing beats the California Faire

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: Renaissance Pleasure Faire

Which California one? We got a couple out here.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• my two sunshines

The Southern California one - it's in Irwindale

• Banned User

I went last year and i'm probably going to go again.

• Still lost in Neverland

I worked for the Faire for 18 years. I was Sir Henry Stanley, the 4th Earl of Derby. Second richest man in England at the time. I was also known as the Darth Vader of the Renaissance. I ran the Queens Court as Guildmaster for my last 6 years. I left about 5 years after the move to San Bernardino.

I have a friend who I kind of prepared to take over, which he did and I am going out one day this upcoming season to see what the new owner's have done and if there is anybody left I recognize. I will try to find a couple pictures of me in costume and post them here.

Here is me as Lord Derby without my mask.

Here I am in full outfit ready to greet the food, err children at the start of the day.

And a close up of me as a blond with detail of the mask:

Last edited by Lost Boy; 02-03-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: To add photos
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Senior Minion

Lost Boy - Awesome costume!!!! I would love to work somewhere where I could wear a cool costume.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• my two sunshines

I've seen you there! Who can forget the mask!!!! We went one year when my daughter had to do a pictorial of the Renaissance - she took pictures with knights, barbarians, lords and ladies, washer women, a barkeep - but the queen wouldn't take one with her It was way fun!

I remember when the kids were little, 8 and 9 - we went and this lady had two cantalopes filled with strawberries with one strawberry between her breasts - she was saying come taste my strawberries - we were walking by and one of the kinghts bent down and took the strawberry with his mouth - my kids mouths just dropped, my oldest daughter turned bright red, my younger daughter wanted to meet the knight - LOL you know who I have a tighter rein on??? LOLOL

We had so much fun!!!! and always do

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My ex used to drag me to those. He was so into it was actually freaky because he actually wished he lived in those times. He also wished dragons and all those mythical creatures were real. He turned me off to those things ever since.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    My ex used to drag me to those. He was so into it was actually freaky because he actually wished he lived in those times. He also wished dragons and all those mythical creatures were real. He turned me off to those things ever since.
    Dragons aren't real?!

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by Trac View Post
    http://www.renfair.com/socal/index.php

Is there a group that usually goes???? We try to go every year, no matter where we live - tho nothing has ever beaten the California Renn Faire!

We will probably go two days, stay with my Dad in Yorba Linda while we go

Anyone else???? They haven't listed what the weekend sub themes will be - last year in MD we went to the Scottish theme weekend. Not many Scots (tho we were trying to find Highlander LOL) Like I said nothing beats the California Faire
    I will probably be going this year, once I find out the dates..
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

I would love to work somewhere where I could wear a cool costume. by Joshrzmeup
    Actually that costume was anything but cool. Those pictures were taken long ago when the Faire was in Aguora and it was all black velvet, fur and leather and weighed about 40 pounds. The temperature out there sometimes reached 102 degrees. Talk about sweating the weight off. One time when my "Personal Servant" undid the laces up the back to get me out of the doublet, steam came out through the neck area.

Boy, those were the days. Couldn't do that now. Much younger then and I did this for 18 years, 8 to 9 weekends at The Southern Faire and then a few months later we did it all over again for 6 weekends in Blackpoint, Northern California.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Lost Boy, that costume of yours is asbolutely amazing. So much attention to detail, it's very much impressive!

I've gone to the Ren Faire a couple times, and would really love to go in costume one of these times, but I really have no idea how to go about getting myself a good-looking costume, aside from purchasing one once I get to the Faire. So, any suggestions would be fantabulous!

I had three costumes during my "reign" at the Faire. The first was made by someone already in the Queens Court group who became a very good friend over the years. Actually her son is my Godson whom I speak of every so often. They now live in South Carolina.

The second was made by a neighbor in the apartment building I was living in, over in Glendale at the time. It was a russet and gold hunting costume, the first one was silver and black court wear. That last one was made by several people as a gift for becoming Guild Master of the Queen's Court. It was amazing in the detail.

I found out real fast while real courtiers back in the Elizabethan era needed personal Man Servants to help them get dressed and undressed. It took my attendant and I almost an hour to put it on and about a 1/2 hour to get it off. The sleeves tied on at the shoulder, the doublet laced up the back and was laced very tight just like a corset. It made me about 2 inches taller and I walked very proper and scared the you know what out of a lot of people. I really didn't realize this until my sister came to the Faire one day and took some movies of me in the Glade.

I was sitting down and she was on a hill over looking the glade. I did not know this, and something happened (a skit of course) in the Glade and I rose out of the chair and turned toward the camera and walked toward it. When I saw the video, even I was impressed at the power that I had when I moved in that outfit. But I did pay a price for that.

I had very little freedom of movement, and forget about bathroom visits during the day. Eating was also a difficult thing as you didn't want to spill anything on it. I had luncheons many times with the Queen and that was just as scary as doing it for real, as the lady who played the Queen, to us was "The Queen" and we had to be in character all the time we were on stage. It was great training in improve theater.

I once did a skit in the Glade with the Queen and when I turned around at the end, Linda Redgrave was sitting right in front of me in the audience. Talk about being nervous. I reveranced her (Elizabethan men did not bow or curtsy, they reveranced). But it was a lot of fun and I am glad I did it. Worth every ounce of energy that drained out each weekend, but was re-fed by the marvelous applause of the audience.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Me at the Renessance faire.

• As I said, persuade me.

OMG! Is this one any good????

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR A RENN FAIRE THAT IS DEFINATLEY WORTH GOING TO IN SOUTHERN CALI!!!

I went to one when I was like 13... but I'm 21 now, and I could never remember where it was we went too... and I think this might have been it.... OMG I so am going. I have a piratey outfit already planned and definately dragging along 2 friends at LEAST with me to go to it!

I've never been in a Renn Faire either... but always have wanted to be in a troupe. Maybe when I move down to LA this Fall, I'll find one. If anyone knows of any, please tell me. I'd love to join.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast