Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: disney store

disney store

i was at the mall earlier and went into the disney store, now owned by the childrens place, and its so bad. aside from the stuffed animals and coffee mugs its like a disney section of target. i was hoping for the longest time the store would morph to be more like the ones in the parks, but alas the disney store was sold. imo it sucks
    wdw-87 fort wilderness with fam.
    00 off property with future wife
    00 carribean beach with fam. for x-mas
    01 all star ask her to marry me also x-mas
    02 off property with inlaws
    03 polynesian with wife and fam. 3 days from wed.
    06 port orleans french quarters with wife for one day

• Rock Star Minion

It has sucked for a long time, way before it was sold.
    Other stores seem to be working on being more like the park shops. Maybe it's just a local suck phenomenon.

• Race Car Driver

Quote Originally Posted by disney24/7
    i was at the mall earlier and went into the disney store, now owned by the childrens place, and its so bad. aside from the stuffed animals and coffee mugs its like a disney section of target. i was hoping for the longest time the store would morph to be more like the ones in the parks, but alas the disney store was sold. imo it sucks

Its not good to bash target
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

not bashing i love target, but thats another thread, its just imo the disney store should have been more like the one's in the parks
    wdw-87 fort wilderness with fam.
    00 off property with future wife
    00 carribean beach with fam. for x-mas
    01 all star ask her to marry me also x-mas
    02 off property with inlaws
    03 polynesian with wife and fam. 3 days from wed.
    06 port orleans french quarters with wife for one day

Quote Originally Posted by disney24/7
    not bashing i love target, but thats another thread, its just imo the disney store should have been more like the one's in the parks
    I don't know how old you are or how much experience you have had with The Disney Stores, but they were like visiting a park store from 1987-late 90s. Then the chain was overdeveloped. Instead of stores only in high end malls where a boutique retailer would flourish, they built them like they were McDonald's. Naturally, they reached a point of diminishing returns. Then Disney decided to turn them into glorified crap stores where they weren't maintained (often filthy), had CMs thet were instructed not to clean or chat with the guests about the newest attractions at DL or WDW, and dropped merchandise for adults and collectables.

What you wound up with was basically a Disney version of WalMart, which BTW is a truly evil empire that is destroying American business and spreading across the world like a cancer -- yeah, I shop proudly at Target.

But for a decade or so, The Disney Stores were absolutely wonderful.
    I can't see Children's Place running them any worse than Disney has of late, so maybe things will be better. I will say,my local stores are a whole lot more well-kempt since Disney sold them. Sad, but true.

• Minion

I think the merchandise at the Disney Store is getting better...slowly though. My husband and I love the shirts they sell out here in California...I know merchandise can vary state by state with chains like this. We actually like the shirts from the Disney Store than the ones available at DL and they are much more affordable and of equal and probably even better quality. You know how Old Navy sells the flag t-shirts for 4th of July? Well, the Disney Store just came out with their own version and its $5 each...yes even adult sizes. I got one of Donald and one of Mickey for my boys.

The parks only have merchandise that you could only get at the park but isn't that how its suppose to be? What do you expect? If they sell the same stuff at the Park as they do the Disney Store, the parks would actually suffer financially since its widely available.

Before I forget, there are some Disney merchandise outlets that are not run by either Disney nor The Children's Place. They are run by...oops, the name escape me but they sell discontinued items from all the Parks, including Universal Studios and the Disney Store. Some are temporary, thus the lack of ambiance and moreso the feeling of a warehouse. And some are permanent as the one near Disneyland (only sells Disney items). I think its called Disney Wareshouse...so don't expect to feel the magic when you walk into these places..they are just there to sell all the unwanted or out of date items. But what a bargain...I got a zip up sweater that sells at DL for $50 for $15 while my husband got a golf sweater vest from WDW for $15 (org. $55)....plus the dated t-shirts (ie..2004) for $5!!!!!! And much, much, much more!!!!!

• I was deleted.

Yes, the stores are slowly getting better. Not all of the merchandise has switched to TCP just yet. As for the "crappy" shirts or "crappy" plush... they will remain as they are the big sellers of the stores still.

Stores are slowly getting their own remodel/makeovers too. So please be optimistic to the stores as they slowly become updated! If you're a Disney fan you should know that sometimes things take a little bit of time to be perfect and enjoyable for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Newseditor44
    I think the merchandise at the Disney Store is getting better...slowly though. My husband and I love the shirts they sell out here in California...I know merchandise can vary state by state with chains like this. We actually like the shirts from the Disney Store than the ones available at DL and they are much more affordable and of equal and probably even better quality. You know how Old Navy sells the flag t-shirts for 4th of July? Well, the Disney Store just came out with their own version and its $5 each...yes even adult sizes. I got one of Donald and one of Mickey for my boys.
    Well, that's not saying much. The quality of the clothing items the parks sell has gone waaaaay down in the past decade, especially the WDW items. I buy them for a few dollars when my CM pals take me to Property Control, but I'd never pay $15-30 for a WDW tee. Even if I had billions!

I can say that the stores in Florida do NOT impress me with their 'quality' of merchandise.

The parks only have merchandise that you could only get at the park but isn't that how its suppose to be? What do you expect? If they sell the same stuff at the Park as they do the Disney Store, the parks would actually suffer financially since its widely available.
    Well, yeah. But it wasn't that way for quite a while. When Pressler and Harriss came to DL (and then Pressler became head of parks and resorts worldwide), Disney Store merchandise became intertwined with parks merchandise. You'd even see Disney Store tags on plush, snowglobes, etc ... that were at WDW and DL.I thought it was incredibly stupid. Why buy something at WDW if you can get the same exact item at the local mall, and conversely if the mall location has nothing unique or special, why shop there?
    I think this all played a major role in DS's demise. But bad merchandising continues to this day, especially at WDW where almost every shop sells the exact same stuff -- and most of it is very low quality character merchandise. Again, it makes no sense to me. Why buy something at Epcot if you can buy the exact same item at the MK or DD or Coronado Springs or the Poly etc ...? Not to mention it totally blows the Disney theming details out of the water when you have a shop loaded with plush, princesses and pins around every corner.

Before I forget, there are some Disney merchandise outlets that are not run by either Disney nor The Children's Place. They are run by...oops, the name escape me but they sell discontinued items from all the Parks, including Universal Studios and the Disney Store. Some are temporary, thus the lack of ambiance and moreso the feeling of a warehouse. And some are permanent as the one near Disneyland (only sells Disney items). I think its called Disney Wareshouse...so don't expect to feel the magic when you walk into these places..they are just there to sell all the unwanted or out of date items. But what a bargain...I got a zip up sweater that sells at DL for $50 for $15 while my husband got a golf sweater vest from WDW for $15 (org. $55)....plus the dated t-shirts (ie..2004) for $5!!!!!! And much, much, much more!!!!!
    Those outlets are run by AMS, a consolidating company. They have a regular store about 10 minutes from DL on Harbor Blvd. in Fullerton and open temporary stores from time to time (mostly in Cal., but I've seen some as far away as Michigan and Pennsylvania in the past). They can be hit or miss really. I do remember them selling pins back in 1998 (when the craze was just getting started) at a temp.store in Oxnard for .65 each.

The best outlet stores are actually the ones run by Disney themselves in Florida. They are called either Character Premiere or Character Warehouse depending on location. I would advise anyone visiting WDW to spend time in one of them before they spend a penny on property. The closest one to WDW is two miles from DD in the Orlando Premium Outlets, just off SR 535 near Little Lake Brian. they also have two locations at the Belz Outlets on International Drive (near Universal), one in St. Augustine and two in South Florida (at Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise and the Dolphin Mall in Miami).

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    Yes, the stores are slowly getting better. Not all of the merchandise has switched to TCP just yet. As for the "crappy" shirts or "crappy" plush... they will remain as they are the big sellers of the stores still.
    Well, as WalMart has shown time and again, Americans have a penchant for buying crap.

And for those of you like myself here in SoCal, check out what the Disney Store on Hollywood Boulevard next to the El Capitan is morphing intoisney Soda Fountain. Is this the new wave or just an aberration? Their website (www.disneysodafountain.com) says that they will have DVDs and Videos alongside the Soda Fountain and an interactive kiosk to order from the entire Disney/Buena Vista catalog. Hmmm!!!
    Sam

"Are you always this articulate?"
    --Megara--

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MooSical Man
    And for those of you like myself here in SoCal, check out what the Disney Store on Hollywood Boulevard next to the El Capitan is morphing intoisney Soda Fountain. Is this the new wave or just an aberration? Their website (www.disneysodafountain.com) says that they will have DVDs and Videos alongside the Soda Fountain and an interactive kiosk to order from the entire Disney/Buena Vista catalog. Hmmm!!!
    This one is run by Disney. They are hiring positions through the disney career website.

• I was deleted.

This one is run by Disney. They are hiring positions through the disney career website.
    Disney kept some stores and made them World Of Disney Stores.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by MooSical Man
    WooHoo! We're going to see "Howl's Moving Castle" this Friday. I'll be sure to check this out. Too bad it's not scheduled to be open until the 22nd!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

We took such pride in our stores when they first opened. I worked there from 1991-1996. We took a Disney University type "course" for several days called "Traditions" and took a test at the end of the course before we could go onstage. Our costumes always had to be spotless as we followed the "Disney Look" from Disneyland. We could only wear mascara and clear lip gloss, and never let our hair fall over our name-tag. We also couldn't wear our nails past a certain length (I think 1/4 inch). Everything down to your shoes had to be uniform, and on one occasion I saw a CM sent home because she had scuffs on her shoes! Onstage had to be cleaned to the point of looking brand new every night, and backstage had to be straightened and mopped every night. Sometimes it took us (I think there were 6 of us on a night shift) 2+ hours to get the store cleaned up every night. Our shirts had to be folded by the "Disney Fold" and lined up with an inch margin on each side of the cubby.

We had collectibles, WDCC, leather jackets, watches and sericels and there wasn't anything like it outside of Disneyland. Not only that, but we were stressed NEVER to use hard sell as guests would want to come back because of the Disney experience. One the of big words we used was Synergy, promoting the parks, and animated features. Back then the stores were headed by Paul Pressler, who was truly doing what he did best. Of course he left for Disneyland ~

Then it all turned to crap! I knew once we got 6 stores in the San Diego area that the dept. would oversaturate and sure enough it did. Slowly collectibles were phased out, then art, then adult apparel. The last year I worked was so bad - the store was nothing but a kid's store and if you didn't sell enough videos in a day the management would shake their fists at their CMs (and not get the bonuses they counted on!) I believe the stores had so much potential, but greed and reorganisation ruined it...

• Will my faith return?

The other day I visited a Disney store in a high traffic shopping area of a major city. this is what I saw.
    Duct tape holding the carpet to the stairs. Classy.
    A uniformed Security Guard just standing there. Everyone loves shopping with that feeling the store has such trust and faith in it's customers. Remember kids you are all potential shoplifters, just like that one former mouseketeer.
    The usual Assortment of princess junk, stuffed animals and cheesy Disney channel characters I have never seen before.
    Cheap plastic kids watches that usually come free with a happy meal.
    T-shirts in the alcove that had animation art and similiar collectibles in it just 6 months before.
    Heres my score.
    Cheese factor: 150
    Walt factor: negative 75
    Chances that any of the employees would know the name Milt Kahl: .02%
    (Those in the .02 percentile would assume a Milt Kahl is cheese sandwich availible at Jerry's Famous deli).
    and you wondered why my name is Disneycynic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast