• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Scorsese DGA Awards' Best Director - Variety 2/5/07

Scorsese wins at DGA Awards
    'Departed' director takes Feature Film prize

'The Departed'

Scorsese
    Martin Scorsese has scored the top feature award from the Directors Guild of America for his work on Warner Bros.' gangster thriller "The Departed."

It was the first victory in seven DGA nominations for Scorsese, who topped Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu for "Babel," Bill Condon for "Dreamgirls," Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris for "Little Miss Sunshine" and Stephen Frears for "The Queen."

"I just wanted to make a good film and people would go see it and enjopy the film and God willing I'd get another picture and that's it," Scorsese told the audience of about 1,000 at the Centiury Plaza Hotel. "I did not think I'd be standing here tonight, I'll tell you that."

The award, presented by Steven Spielberg on Saturday night in ceremonies at the Century Plaza Hotel, places Scorsese as a front-runner for the Best Director Oscar. The DGA winner, based on voting by 13,400 Guild members, has matched the Oscar winner in 52 of its 58 awards, including last year when Ang Lee won both for "Brokeback Mountain."

In his acceptance speech, Scorsese paid tribute to genre film directors such as Don Seigel, Samuel Fuller, Anthony Mann and Robert Aldrich. And he noted that the grosses were especially strong in such organized crime centers as Las Vegas and Boca Raton, Fla.

Scorsese now faces Frears and Inarritu for the Oscar along with Clint Eastwood for "Letters From Iwo Jima" and Paul Greengrass for "United 93."
    It's his sixth Oscar directing nomination along with "Raging Bull," "The Last Temptation of Christ," "Good Fellas" "Gangs of New York" and "The Aviator."

"The Departed" has taken in the highest gross among the nominated films with $127 million domestically and nearly $270 million worldwide. Scorsese won the Golden Globe for Best director three weeks ago; since then, "Little Miss Sunshine" won both the top feature film awards from the PGA and SAG.

Scorsese's previous DGA nominations were for "The Aviator," "Gangs of New York," "The Age of Innocence," "Goodfellas," "Raging Bull" and "Taxi Driver." He won the DGA's Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003.

Richard Shepard won the DGA trophy for comedy series for ABC's pilot of "Ugly Betty" and Jon Cassar won the drama series award for Fox's "24." Rob Marshall took the musical variety award for NBC's "Tony Bennett: An American Classic" and Walter Hill won for TV movies for AMC's "Broken Trail."

Marshall won the DGA feature award four years ago for "Chicago" while Hill won the drama award two years ago for the "Deadwood pilot."

Lithuianian filmmakter Arunas Matelis won for feature documentary award for "Before Flying Back to the Earth," centered on children hospitalized with leukemia, topping Oscar nominees, "Deliver Us From Evil" and "Iraq in Fragments."
    http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_...ryid=1985&cs=1

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Scorsese DGA Awards' Best Director - Variety 2/5/07

Nominees discuss films at DGA panel
    Helmers reveal hardships of filmmaking

By Dave McNary
    Variety
    February 5, 2007

The six directors nominated for the DGA's top feature helming award offer an undeniable consensus on one point -- the extreme challenges of their profession.

Sugarcoating was in short supply at the traditional Saturday morning panel, a three-hour session held before a capacity crowd at DGA headquarters.

"The actual process of making the film was extremely difficult for me," Martin Scorsese said of "The Departed." "It was like being with your best friend and your worst enemy at the same time."

Scorsese, who won the DGA award Saturday night, singled out the film's internal nature as particularly challenging. "It doesn't mean I wasn't enjoying the process, but it was a process that kicked me."

Editing and post-production were especially arduous, Scorsese said, because of the need to balance the characters in this particular story and to keep the story clear.

"I never did that before -- having a film with a plot," he quipped. "There was a whole process of screening and screening and screening and screening and screening. Constant screening for friends and enemies."

That led to seemingly endless intercutting and replacing of scenes, particularly those involving Vera Farmiga. Scorsese said the process of making her psychiatrist character "emotionally integral" to the story took more than a year and a half.

"We had to put the whole picture together before deciding what we needed with her to balance her out," he admitted. "This is something that was really always out of control."
    http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_...ryid=1984&cs=1