Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Correspondent-Editor

02-05-07 Disney to Build Del Coronado-Inspired Hotel at Anaheim Resort

Disney to Build Del Coronado-Inspired Hotel at Anaheim Resort

By C. W. Oberleitner
    February 5, 2007

Now that the worldwide celebration of Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary and the recent media event at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida—formally kicking Disney parks and resorts’ Year of a Million Dreams promotion into high gear—are over, it’s time to take a look at what the future holds for the Mouse’s West Coast Resort.

Read the full story here >>
    Last edited by Chuck Oberleitner; 02-25-2007 at 01:12 PM.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: 02-05-07 Disney to Build Del Coronado-Inspired Hotel at Anaheim Resort

Thanks for info

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

all i have to say is

!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Senior Minion

That is exciting news, look forward too the future of the parks and hotels planned.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

That's a very interesting article! I think that Coronado-type hotel would made a beautiful addition to DCA, and it sounds like by adding a San Diego icon to the park, that they are still attempting a California theme.

I really do wish they would have made Hollywood and Dine into a Sci-fi Cafe like at MGM Studios @ WDW, but if they don't put it there, the defunct Millionaire building would make a perfect home for it!

And I'm very much excited for Toy Story Mania and a lagoon show, but Carland...I don't know. Sounds a little cheesy. If they want a California-themed ride, they should make it an autopia type ride where you have to deal with rush hour traffic and deal with people cutting you off! That would be fun, huh?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Can't believe you got that news in before Al did!

• Gobble GOBBLE

Nice scoop. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    That was wonderful! Bravo! I loved that! Ah, that was great! Well, it was pretty good. Well, it wasn't bad. Uh, there were parts of it that weren't very good though. It could have been a lot better. I didn't really like it. It was pretty terrible. It was bad. It was awful! It was terrible! Take 'em away! Boo! Boo!

• time to go

So... a miniature Grand Floridian hotel where Hollywood & Dine is located? With an entrance at Harbor? This is going to be a congestion nightmare!

How exactly will these boutique hotel guests get to Downtown Disney without having to go through the bag check? That's one of my main beefs with staying at the non-Disney hotels on Harbor Blvd now. If I wish to go to DtD for dining or shopping, I have to go through the bag check at the Plaza -- twice -- even though I'm not going to the parks. Hotel guests coming from the west side of property do not have this inconvenience, even those who are staying at non-Disney hotels.

And will these hotel guests be parking across the street where the old Grand Hotel used to reside? Shuttles will have to run back and forth from the lot, since that's not a simple hike like the lot across from the Grand Californian next to Downtown Disney.

If the Timon/Lion King tram stop goes away, how will guests parking in Lion King get to the parks? Will a tram run from that lot up to the tram stop at the parking garage, like the Omnibus used to do before 9/11 security measures eliminated it? I'm assuming Carland will take over the Timon lot, so that tram service will be removed anyway. But I don't see how guests parking in the Lion King lot will have easy access to the Plaza at the park entrances.

Has this plan really been scrutinized at all?

Or is Disney just salivating again at the notion of increased revenue, no matter the long-term consequences?

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• May the F=ma be with you

A clone of the GF. It was about time that DLR took something from WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    A clone of the GF. It was about time that DLR took something from WDW.
    But the location that Chuck describes seems all wrong to me.

Why would a Victorian-themed hotel go into HPB instead of Paradise Pier, which will supposedly get a Victorian makeover via Fitzgerald's placemaking project?

Wouldn't it make far more sense, especially fiscally, to tear down the existing Paradise Pier Hotel and the chunk of the Lion King lot directly behind it, to build Grand Floridian West, complete with a DVC wing?

Why not tear out Orange Stinger, the pizza joint, McD's, MM, and the Dino, and place part of the hotel inside DCA, with an extension over Disneyland Drive? Adding DVC units would help fund the new hotel. And the Victorian theme would blend in nicely with PP's new makeover.

Placing this hotel on Harbor is a big mistake. Harbor is crowded and noisy. And access to Downtown Disney would be difficult. Staying at a Disney hotel directly off Harbor would not feel like staying on property. Who would want to drop close to $300 per night to stay so far away from the Disney Magic?

Not me.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Santa Barbara, CA

Well.. I guess Tomorrowland will have a victorian backdrop after all. Just like at DLP. That hotel towers above the scaled down buildings. Another great idea from the masterminds...BTW Isn't the Hotel Del more suited to Paradise Pier as it is a traditional "Seaside" Resort design? It would have done really well over by the Convention Center flanking Paradise Pier. OR better yet. Why didn't they "cookie cutter" the Boardwalk Resort from WDW, they have the rest of the Pier waiting for them? How cool would that have looked? A new land, done well with a return on investment!

So much for the "visual intrusion" rules and scale.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

i like the hotel idea, but not for the hollywood backlot, i agree build it near or where paradise pier hotel is and take over part of the simba lot, it would make a great view from the pier inside dca.

Wow!
    Great scoop Chuck!
    It's about time DLR got another hotel, and I'm glad it's the Del Coronado style.
    Any idea if it will be part DVC?

• Banned User

Peoplemover does not need a pixar tie-in this is terrible!

I don't understand the reasoning for building it in HPB. Seeing the hotel almost daily in San Diego, I would say it would better suited in the area near the Paradise Pier. Why? The hotel is victorian, the new style that will be coming to the pier. It would not fit in with the psuedo art/pueblo/pixar-whatever deco theming of HPB. I am excited at the thought of having the hotel based on a historic landmark of California, but not sure of it being in the area they want it to be. Doesn't also seem to be enough room and would be to close to GCH. Have them at opposite ends...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast