Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Violence and the Superbowl Commericals

I know there already is a thread about the Superbowl commericals, but I wanted to make an observation about the violence in the commericals that I witnessed. Now, please do not call me a prude, because I am not one. I do not support censorship either, just making some comments.

All those commericals with the career building company showing them beating each other up and fighting each other was a bit over the top for me. The Bud Lite slapping ad had many people laughing, but I kept cringing each time they slapped and I shrunk back when that guy got hit with a rock. Even the heart commerical had these guys beating up the guy dressed like a heart. I even felt sorry for the little mouse in the Blockbuster ad. And how many times did I have to see the CSI ads and the other CBS shows that continued to show dead bodies or people getting hit and killed, especially the one with the Internet killing. It was scary. I'm glad my kids were not watching.

Now this may sound like I am a big softie and cannot handle any violence, that is not true, I just don't know when it became common place to show people getting beat up, and when that became funny.

Am I over-reacting? I'm not saying they should be pulled from the air, I just question the decision making on giving these a go ahead and playing them when kids can see it. What is your opinion?

• most magical vaca ever

Re: Violence and the Superbowl Commericals

I'm with ya on the slapping one....

So many I know thought that was hilarious and I just didn't get it...

All I can think of is everyone slapping people now

There was a big thing here in the NY area not too long ago where people were slapping people like that.

I just don't get it....
    ~~~~~~

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

I didnt like that one or the one with the heart that was getting beat up.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Well with CSI, its one of CBS' biggest shows and it was advertising the return of one of the stars. Its no secret thats a pretty harsh show though.
    As for the other commercials, I didnt see any of them so I cant comment.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• The Unknown Princess

The heart being "attacked" by different diseases was really to make a point that a unsuspecting heart is still at risk of having an attack from many different areas if its not careful and watchful.

The slapping was a bit harder to 'explain off' but it did make me giggle.

Of course I look at when they are showing this. If they showed this during a kiddie show such as Spongebob Squarepants, I'd be really disturbed by it. This was shown during Superbowl...something geared more towards guys. Considering you're watching football which is a 'game' which shows two team of guys hitting and slamming each other over a ball, it 'goes with the territory'.

I'm not agreeing with them showing it but I understand why they showed it at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydisneydee View Post
    Of course I look at when they are showing this. If they showed this during a kiddie show such as Spongebob Squarepants, I'd be really disturbed by it. This was shown during Superbowl...something geared more towards guys. Considering you're watching football which is a 'game' which shows two team of guys hitting and slamming each other over a ball, it 'goes with the territory'.

I'm not agreeing with them showing it but I understand why they showed it at this time.
    You do have a point there. I wasn't thinking about the violence of football when I wrote this. Of course the ads would go hand in hand with what you are watching at the time. I guess I was looking at football as a game and not necessarily as a violent sport. Does that make sense?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think you have to consider the make up of the audience and the demographic they are aiming for. If you are cringing at the slapping ads, didja see the hit that Reggie Bush took a couple of weeks ago?

It's the Superbowl, for crying out loud. People hit each other in big nasty ways, and the rest of us drink beers, wince, and then applaud. If this was, say, the Martha Stewart show, I'd think you'd have a point.

What I was surprised by was the hair coloring commercial with Sheryl Crow.

During.

The.

Superbowl.

HAIR COLORING??????

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    I think you have to consider the make up of the audience and the demographic they are aiming for. If you are cringing at the slapping ads, didja see the hit that Reggie Bush took a couple of weeks ago?

It's the Superbowl, for crying out loud. People hit each other in big nasty ways, and the rest of us drink beers, wince, and then applaud. If this was, say, the Martha Stewart show, I'd think you'd have a point.
    Oh, I totally agree. I'm not saying they shouldn't show these ads, I guess what I am saying is that I can't remember a Superbowl with this many violent ads. I look forward to the new commercials and in past years there seemed to be more funny ones, not so much "angry" ones.

Is our society changing with regards to violence or have I been watching too much Martha Stewart type shows and need to get back in the real world?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post

Is our society changing with regards to violence or have I been watching too much Martha Stewart type shows and need to get back in the real world?
    No, it's not you, it's the world at large (especially the U.S.) We are confronted with so much violence, and beyond that the in-your-face, look-at-me mentality of the past decade or so, that we have become sadly de-sensitized to it.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    No, it's not you, it's the world at large (especially the U.S.) We are confronted with so much violence, and beyond that the in-your-face, look-at-me mentality of the past decade or so, that we have become sadly de-sensitized to it.

--Barry
    Thanks Barry. For a moment there I thought I was crazy and misjudging things.

I recently saw the Academy Award Best Picture Nominee, The Departed. And while I thought it was a brilliant movie, the violence got me in the end. I was actually crying. My husband turned to me and said, "I don't think you should watch these type of movies anymore." I turned to him and cried, "I'm not enjoying myself!" But when I talked about the movie at work and mentioned how violent I thought it was, my younger co-workers said, "Really?" It must be a generational thing, but I am only 39 afterall, not ancient by any means!

I guess for myself, I will just stay away from mob movies and those types were violence is the main theme. (Shakes head sadly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Thanks Barry. For a moment there I thought I was crazy and misjudging things.

I recently saw the Academy Award Best Picture Nominee, The Departed. And while I thought it was a brilliant movie, the violence got me in the end. I was actually crying. My husband turned to me and said, "I don't think you should watch these type of movies anymore." I turned to him and cried, "I'm not enjoying myself!" But when I talked about the movie at work and mentioned how violent I thought it was, my younger co-workers said, "Really?" It must be a generational thing, but I am only 39 afterall, not ancient by any means!

I guess for myself, I will just stay away from mob movies and those types were violence is the main theme. (Shakes head sadly.)
    Ooh, don't go to "Pan's Labyrinth" then...spectacular film, but quite violent (however, VERY appropriate for the era/setting/characters...it's not gratuitous...)

Jackie

• That Guy

Look, this thread would make sense if you were discussing ads that were shown during televised church service, or symphony performance, but we're talking about football here. This is a brutal sport, not ballet. I think you need to remember when/where these ads are being run.

• Queen of Sarcasm

I actually liked all the commercials showed yesterday during the game. I thought they were perfect for the target range that usually watches football games. The sport is all about people tackling each other and getting hurt while chasing a ball. I can see people saying these things if the commercials were airing through Martha Stewart or The View, shows which target women.

• Inappropriate

Zues help me, i loved the mouse being "clicked." And if there's anything i've learned from watching Looney Toons, violence is only funny it situational things on TV, butu if the same thing happened in real life, it's not funny.
    I mean, i wouldn't want to watch a coyote get launched out of a catapult in real life only to be blown up with dynamite. Nor would I want to watch a guy throw a rock at someone else at point blank range over a beer. But for some reason as long as I iknow it's fake, it's funny Maybe i'm just twisted.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I had no problems with the violence in the commercials. They were making analogies to the world. for example in the Career builder ones that's basically what the world of employment is like. We are fighting with tons of people for jobs by beefing up resumes, doing a good job, going back to schoool for advanced degrees, etc. Career Builder took that "Fighting" and showed it in a literal sense which I thought was hilarious and easy to get the point. The point was not the violence, the point was that Career Builder.com can help you in your "Fight" for a better job.

the slapping ad was making a cultural statement about how stupid we are for changing our norms every time the wind blows. Just stick to the High Five.

the Rock Paper Scissors was making fun of two people fighting over the last beer. the message was it just is not worth it.

Maybe I am naive or think too deeply about things like this but there was no glorifying of violence at all in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast