Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Alwaleed in talks on $8 bln Gulf Disneyland - Reuters, 2/6/07

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...c=66&type=qcna

Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is in talks with investors to build an $8 billion Disneyland theme park in Bahrain, at the heart of the world's biggest oil exporting region, a newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The project would be based on Walt Disney Co.'s theme parks and could be called "Disney Bahrain", Bahrain's al-Waqt newspaper said, citing an unnamed source.

The report did not make clear whether the U.S. company was directly involved in the talks to build the first Disney theme park in the Gulf, where incomes have surged after a tripling of oil prices in the five years to last July.

Alwaleed, the world's eighth richest man, is talking to investors including Kuwait Finance House, the Gulf's second largest Islamic bank by market value, and Bahraini institutions, the paper said.
    Alwaleed indirectly owns 10 percent of Disneyland Paris operator Euro Disney, and his Rotana Audio Visual Co., signed a deal in November to distribute Walt Disney products across the Middle East and North Africa.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Alwaleed in talks on $8 bln Gulf Disneyland - Reuters, 2/6/07

A Disneyland in the middle east how wonderful! We could have Minnie Mouse in a burqa and Mickey Mouse can have explosives strapped to his chest! The parade can feature Soviet era tanks with RPGs mounted on the top. At 2:00pm everyone can stop, grab their prayer mats, face Mecca and pray. This is a BAD IDEA.

• Pilot EdForceOne

While this region and it's expensive tastes are booming.. I certainly don't think its a great spot for a 'all american' brand to be building multibillion dollar investments. Just too high of a profile and risk in the current times.

The region is amazing for the scope and granduer of the things they are building.. but to do so with a huge american brand like that is probably like putting a bullseye in the center of the park rather then a hub :o

A Disneyland in the middle east how wonderful! We could have Minnie Mouse in a burqa and Mickey Mouse can have explosives strapped to his chest! The parade can feature Soviet era tanks with RPGs mounted on the top. At 2:00pm everyone can stop, grab their prayer mats, face Mecca and pray. This is a BAD IDEA.

Thats an awful thing to say. Bahrain is very stable and its not fair to compare it other rouge states that exist in the region. Japan is near North Korea, which is a unstable state and Japan run the best Disney resort on the planet.

•   
    • Minion

It's a bad idea... Some one tell him, it's a bad idea...

1. No market.
    2. Terrorist target.
    3. No market.
    Check out my other blog:

• Gobble GOBBLE

I'm not so sure it's such a bad idea. I see a potential positive impact form "Small World Diplomacy." Seeing an American Institution in a positive light can't hurt.

That said, they have the money to spend so I would expect agreat Disney Park to be developed by this group.
    That was wonderful! Bravo! I loved that! Ah, that was great! Well, it was pretty good. Well, it wasn't bad. Uh, there were parts of it that weren't very good though. It could have been a lot better. I didn't really like it. It was pretty terrible. It was bad. It was awful! It was terrible! Take 'em away! Boo! Boo!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

They would have an opportunity to have a different
    spin on Disney attractions, perhaps:

Hostages of the Mediteranean

Bin Laden's Mountain

• oh bugger

I feel slightly bad, but I can't help but feel a slight sense of unease about this idea. Comparing Bahrain to Japan doesn't work for me, they don't belong in the same category, not in the world scope. Japan and the region is far more stable then a newly emerging new rich from Bahrain.

I'm sure the 8bil could do a lot of great stuff, but honestly would this park not naturally become an easy target to hit as well as not having a huge base of tourist to absorb. Tokyo is a worldwide tourist destination, so is Paris... but honestly the regular tourists of the world aren't heading to the Middle East, no matter how stable Bahrain might be, it just won't attract the numbers a more stable region would.

• Disney Memory Maker

Ignoring the location (and the fact that aparently everyone here likes to stereotype people that everyone in the middle east are terrorists).... $8b is a whole heck of a lot to spend on a theme park. And considering that it would be 16m square meters (or 4000 acres), that is roughly 8 times the size of Animal Kingdom. All this says to me that this would be a park on a very grand scale. Figure DCA/DTD cost about $1.4b (iirc) to make. They would be spending roughly 6 times that on this resort. For those of us on the east coast, that is roughly 8 times the cost of Animal Kingdom, 6 times the original cost of Epcot, or roughly 3 times the cost of Tokyo DisneySea. And how is all this a bad thing?

And the location isn't all bad. Too many people think the 'Gulf Coast' is one big Baghdad with bombs going off every day. It just isn't like that. Bahrain has the fastest growing economy in the Arab world, it has the 'freest' economy in the Middle East (and 25th freest in the world), has citizens with basic human rights, rights to vote, women's rights, etc., is religiously tolerant, and for all you racing fans is the home of the Formula One racing in the middle east.

Before you stereotype the country based on what is going on in other parts of the middle east, I suggest you research the country and it's culture first, whether it be through wikipedia or the world factbook or wherever.

it just won't attract the numbers a more stable region would.
    Really, because nearby Dubai is able to get roughly 6m visitors a year. And that is more of a city and less of a central tourist destination than a theme park. Also, Dubai doesn't have nearly the amount of publicity or brand name as Disney does.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Fastest Man Alive

Terrible idea. I have no wish to wake and see on the news that a Disney park has been subjected to a terrorist attack. Because if this goes through it won't be a matter of IF, but WHEN.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Ignoring the location (and the fact that aparently everyone here likes to stereotype people that everyone in the middle east are terrorists).... $8b is a whole heck of a lot to spend on a theme park. And considering that it would be 16m square meters (or 4000 acres), that is roughly 8 times the size of Animal Kingdom. All this says to me that this would be a park on a very grand scale. Figure DCA/DTD cost about $1.4b (iirc) to make. They would be spending roughly 6 times that on this resort. For those of us on the east coast, that is roughly 8 times the cost of Animal Kingdom, 6 times the original cost of Epcot, or roughly 3 times the cost of Tokyo DisneySea. And how is all this a bad thing?

And the location isn't all bad. Too many people think the 'Gulf Coast' is one big Baghdad with bombs going off every day. It just isn't like that. Bahrain has the fastest growing economy in the Arab world, it has the 'freest' economy in the Middle East (and 25th freest in the world), has citizens with basic human rights, rights to vote, women's rights, etc., is religiously tolerant, and for all you racing fans is the home of the Formula One racing in the middle east.

Before you stereotype the country based on what is going on in other parts of the middle east, I suggest you research the country and it's culture first, whether it be through wikipedia or the world factbook or wherever.

Really, because nearby Dubai is able to get roughly 6m visitors a year. And that is more of a city and less of a central tourist destination than a theme park. Also, Dubai doesn't have nearly the amount of publicity or brand name as Disney does.
    All that said...... Disney says not in talks on Bahrain park
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

IF something like this were to come to life, there
    would still likely be some cultural barriers to breakdown,
    and a Disneyland in Saudi Arabia would certainly have
    some differences. Even Japan has some cultural
    differences, ie different food, the fact that the Haunted
    Mansion fits in with Fantasyland, . ..
    I wonder if all the princesses woul need to cover themselves
    up completely?

But what does concerns me about this Park is it's proximity
    to Iraq. Iraq has certainly attacked Disney in it's own
    newcasts and newspapers, and been vocal about keeping
    out all Western Influence.

This does remind me of a few interesting stories I've heard
    about the Saudi royal family's visits to WDW.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post

Well, we've heard Disney deny the same thing about talks
    of a DL on Mainland China, and then find out there is some
    talk about it later. Since this guy owns a good portion
    of DLP, I don't doubt that this has been talked about.
    It just depends upon what your definition of the word
    "negotiating" means.

I've been expecting a Persian Gulf Disneyland for some time.

No one does man-made travel destinations like Disney, and certain people in the region are intent on transforming some of the economies there from being based on oil to being driven by tourism.

The Prince is a Disney enthusiast, and he is partly responsible for rescuing Disneyland Paris. So, this deal seems quite plausible.

• Banned User

Jihad Mickey!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast