• Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Is Mickey's pal, Pluto, underrated?

Do you think Pluto is underrated?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Is Mickey's pal, Pluto, underrated?

I just got done watching some of his shorts from Pluto Vol. 2, and was laughing at a lot of the gags animators did with Pluto. Pluto is definatly very unique in my opinion.

• Delawarean Girl

I always love when Mickey is dealing with Pluto.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

(Bump)

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I think so. I've always loved Pluto. He's my favorite original character from the fab five (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, & Goofy). I always thought that he's overshadowed because he's just a dog and doesn't talk. I hate it when he's compared to Goofy because people thing Goofy is a dog too. He's not a dog, he's a goof!

• Original Mice-Chatter

I always thought Goofy was a dog-

Mickey is a mouse
    Donald is a duck
    Goofy is a dog (at least in all appearances)

I just assumed that was the case-

...and yes Pluto is underrated, as evidenced by the need to bump the thread LOL-
    Last edited by Nephythys; 02-08-2007 at 09:53 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

True Nephy .

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    I always though Goofy was a dog-

Mickey is a mouse
    Donald is a duck
    Goofy is a dog (at least in all appearances)

I just assumed that was the case-

...and yes Pluto is underrated, as evidenced by the need to bump the thread LOL-
    There was something that I saw where Walt Disney said Goofy was a goof. And, if he was a dog, why is it that he walks upright, talks, wears clothes and shoes, and does things that the others can do, but yet Pluto, a dog as well, cannot. It just doesn't make sense.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    There was something that I saw where Walt Disney said Goofy was a goof. And, if he was a dog, why is it that he walks upright, talks, wears clothes and shoes, and does things that the others can do, but yet Pluto, a dog as well, cannot. It just doesn't make sense.

whoa wait-

Donald is a duck and Mickey is a mouse and Clarabelle is a cow and they do all the same things Goofy does. Right?

Donald wears no pants- but he covers his lower body when he loses his shirt.

They are animals- Anthropomorphized animals- but they eat turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

It doesn't have to make sense-

whoa wait-

Donald is a duck and Mickey is a mouse and Clarabelle is a cow and they do all the same things Goofy does. Right?

Donald wears no pants- but he covers his lower body when he loses his shirt.

They are animals- Anthropomorphized animals- but they eat turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

It doesn't have to make sense-
    No, I'm saying that what doesn't make sense is if Goofy is a dog, as you think, then why can't Pluto do the same things he can do? That's what doesn't make sense. Goofy acts "human-like", same as Mickey, Donald, etc. but only Pluto does not? What's up with that? Why would they have one dog act like a dog and another dog act like a human?

• Original Mice-Chatter

Why does Donald cover the part of his body that is naked all the time anyway?

My point was that it doesn't HAVE to make sense- I can't apply logic to this.

They wanted Mickey to have a pet- they chose a dog- doesn't mean there can't be characters that are dogs, but behave like Mickey and the gang.

Pete is another one- look at the lady Goofy has a relationship with in the second Goofy movie- she was clearly dog-like.

If Goofy is a goof- as if that is some new type of thing- cool- but I am just saying I see no problem nor conflict in him appearing to be a dog.

• white and nerdy

Goofy is a Dog.

Q: What is Goofy? When did he debut?

A: Goofy is a dog! Good-natured but not that bright, this cartoon character made his first appearance, somewhat disguised, as a member of the audience in "Mickey's Revue" (1932).
    From http://psc.disney.go.com/guestservices/8709.html

Not that Stand by Me isn't a great movie.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• is on the rocks

I have a very old book (can't even remember the title) that was an anthology of classic Disney stories. One of them was the story of Goofy. His original name was Dippy Dawg and he was trying to make it in Hollywood, but the studio producers didn't think that was catchy enough. They liked his goofy schtick, so they renamed him Goofy.

But getting back to the OP - yes, I think Pluto is sadly underrated. To me, he was the epitome of the poor, lovable, mutt who always got blamed for stuff that was out of his control.
    She did it!

They wanted Mickey to have a pet- they chose a dog- doesn't mean there can't be characters that are dogs, but behave like Mickey and the gang.

Pete is another one- look at the lady Goofy has a relationship with in the second Goofy movie- she was clearly dog-like.

If Goofy is a goof- as if that is some new type of thing- cool- but I am just saying I see no problem nor conflict in him appearing to be a dog.
    So if they wanted to give him a pet and Goofy is a dog, why not give him a cat? I don't see any cat characters that hang around the gang that act human like. Or a hamster or a bunny?

I'm just saying that it's not really fair for Pluto to only be able to act like a true dog when someone else who is the same as him can do whatever he wants. I bet that's a pretty good reason as to why Pluto is so underrated. Any animal character that acts like the animal they are, are going to be underrated because people see those animals already in every day life. When they see Mickey Mouse living in his own house, driving a car, etc. it's out of the ordinary so they're drawn to him and all the other characters who act like people.

• white and nerdy

You see, in the world of animals there are two types. There are the highly evolved animals (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Bugs,) and the lesser evolved animals (Pluto, Roadrunner)

The higher evolved animals are equal to humans in most rights, though they are not allowed to vote due to their refusal to allow other voters privacy. They also are allowed to keep the lesser evolved animals as pets, though only if they can catch them and domesticate them.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast