Walt Disney Article In New Yorker Magazine

Just catching up on some magazine reading here at home, and came across a rather good article on Walt Disney in a December 2006 issue of "The New Yorker" magazine. So I went to their web site and found it's available online at:

http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/061211fa_fact

It's sort of a bounce-off piece of Neil Gabler's recent biography, but the author makes mostly his own assessments of Walt's career and impact on American and world culture.

You may not agree with it all...but it's a good read, IMHO.

Re: Walt Disney Article In New Yorker Magazine

Thank you very much, Opus1guy. The author of the article does have some interesting observations.

• All you need is LOVE

Wow cool thanks for sharing

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thanks for sharing this, a decent read. The New Yorker has consistently provided excellent writers and writing. Even if we don't agree, I still give them credit for that.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

I wonder if the teacher that called Disney her "second dumbest" student is the same one who told him that he was not very bright because he drew faces on flowers when everyone knows that flowers don't have faces.

Disney may have been her second dumbest student, but my guess is that she was his dumbest teacher.

BTW...in the print magazine there is only one photograph accompanying the article...Walt on the sand with a camera...that I just now scanned:

But there is also a piece of "Sorcerer Walt" art by Gerald Scarfe that appears opposite the article's masthead:

He looks sexy in that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    He looks sexy in that picture.
    It is a great photograph of Walt literally in the prime of his life...in 1941. He looks young, lean, healthy, got that spark in his eyes and a young man's grin.

The New Yorker has done many articles on Walt Disney all the way back to his early days...and I suspect that photo might be from their own archives. They might have sent a photographer out with Walt to shoot some shots of him around town. They might even have used the same photo in the magazine sometime back then. Judging from the buildings in the background...I'm guessing it was shot perhaps at Coney Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    It is a great photograph of Walt literally in the prime of his life...in 1941. He looks young, lean, healthy, got that spark in his eyes and a young man's grin.

The New Yorker has done many articles on Walt Disney all the way back to his early days...and I suspect that photo might be from their own archives. They might have sent a photographer out with Walt to shoot some shots of him around town. They might even have used the same photo in the magazine sometime back then. Judging from the buildings in the background...I'm guessing it was shot perhaps at Coney Island.
    Yeah, I've noticed a few other pictures that were taken at around that time when he was trying to relieve stress by boxing and by playing polo. And, he did look much happier and healthier, then.