• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Jay Rasulo comments at the 2007 Investors Conference

Jay Rasulo spoke at the Lion King Theater in WDW this evening to a group of Stock Brokers and other invited Investors.

He had 3 major points.

1. Improve Existing Businesses

He stated the Hong Kong Disneyland was moving "More Slowly" than expected, which matches Tom Staggs comment that HKD was "more challenging than we thought" made earlier today.

He mentioned that "Where Dreams Come True" will be a long term marketing idea, and then addressed the current year plan, Year of a Million Dreams where he described the program and mentioned that over 300,000 prizes (he called the dreams) have been rewarded.

2. Tapping into Emerging Markets

Talked about potential growth, especially in the Asian, Eastern Europe and Latin American markets.

3. Establish a Bigger Footprint

This was the most interesting part, because he talked about possible BLUE SKY ideas. Once again, the following plans are NOT concrete and are still just in the discussion stages. Also, these Ideas are worldwide proposals, so they might only be built outside of the USA.

Building Themed Hotels in cities other than those that have Disney Theme Parks, where you would just have a Disney Themed hotel. Good potential for 3rd party Equity funding, and working with third party vendors, similar to the Oriental Land deal.

Opening Downtown Disney Shopping Malls in non-Theme Park cities as a stand alone location. He stated the the Anaheim Downtown Disney location is in the Top 5 California malls based on Sale Revenue per Square foot.

Building stand Alone Disney Water Parks in new cities, maybe Indoor, maybe Outdoor or both.

Building smaller "Niche" theme Parks that are Deeply Immersing, where Disney could have a smaller initial outlay, but be able to charge an All Exclusive Price that would be Many times the current cost of visiting a Disney Theme Parks, either near the existing resorts, or as a Stand Alone park in a new city.

Then he talked about two Existing Businesses that had some BLUE SKY ideas.

The possibility of expanding the Cruise Line, if they can get the right price on building new ships. The West Coast 2008 schedule set a 1st day Booking Record, and that both Repositing Cruise have been Oversold.

And then DVC (Vacation Club), how the investment is low and has brought in Strong Double Digit Profits. They have been tracking the owners that have been trading points for other locations for the possibility of building DVC hotels in popular Foreign locations. One interesting comment, he specifically talked about expanding DVC to "Walt Disney World and Around the World", with no mention of Anaheim.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 02-07-2007 at 05:14 PM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Kay Rasulo comments at the 2007 Investors Conference

Thanks for the post Darkbeer.

Sounds like it was an interesting talk. Just a reminder that to get the financial guys behind you, you have to show them where long term double-digit growth will come from!

Interesting that the small immersive park is surfacing again. Always thought it could be a great idea if done well and priced accordingly. Obviously it would be something a bit different than DisneyQuest as they gave up on this
    The Mur

• Minion

Apparently the experiences of The Disney Stores, DisneyQuest, Club Disney and Mickey's Kitchen taught them absolutely nothing whatsoever...

Keep it unique.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...home-headlines

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is considering putting Disney-themed hotels and nightlife districts into downtown areas of major cities that don't currently have Disney properties.

Disney is not yet making any commitments to "urban Disney hotels" or stand-alone Disney entertainment districts, Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo told investors tonight. But he outlined them as "some of the ideas our business team and Imagineers [Disney's term for designers and engineers] are thinking about," as ways to expand Disney's tourism business into new locales.

In addressing investors, Rasulo said Disney is thinking about developing major "flagship" hotels -- such as the Disney Grand Floridian at Walt Disney World -- or themed hotels that could be built in large cities that already are tourist draws.

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Re: Jay Rasulo comments at the 2007 Investors Conference

I don't think they would ever commit to stand alone parks. They have trouble with most of their existing theme parks that are in resort complex as it is. Down the long road, it would turn the Disney theme park division into a Six Flags. They can't stay focused on what they got.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Apparently the experiences of The Disney Stores, DisneyQuest, Club Disney and Mickey's Kitchen taught them absolutely nothing whatsoever...

Keep it unique.

Very true.

Keep it unique.
    I don't think one can mention Club Disney and DisneyQuest alongside The Disney Stores and the Mickey's Kitchen restaurants.

The latter two businesses were very successful, actually, even though the decision was made to abandon the restaurant concept in order to focus on The Disney Stores. Clearly, too many of those locations were built, and the penetration into smaller markets weakened the business' effectiveness overall, while the failure of Feature Animation, due in large part to the direct-to-video sequels, gave Consumer Products very few new characters to drive retail store sales. (That's Eisner's synergy for you.) Add the fact that Disney made the decision to allow more character merchandise to appear in discount stores, along with the general decline of shopping malls, and The Disney Stores were going to have problems apart from the solidity of the concept, itself.

Mickey's Kitchen, also, had good business, but the margins were not as attractive as those offered by the shops. So, the capital was directed to retail expansion, instead. Interestingly, though, the restaurants doubled the foot traffic and revenues at the stores.

The best way to expand Disney's establishments is to develop new concepts that do not include carbon-copies of castles, so I am encouraged to learn the company appears to be abandoning Paul Pressler's Plant-the-Flag strategy; however, I question the validity of most of the proposals mentioned as possible directions for expansion. I have a few ideas, myself, for how Disney should go about approaching new markets. But, I'm not in the business of fixing all of the company's problems.

At least, Disney seems to be ridding itself of Pressler's misguided ideas. And, that fact is a good sign. But, Iger still needs to bring people into the business segment who have the wisdom, creativity, and vision to competently take the company in new directions and into new markets.

• Creative Director

^What exactly was Mickey's Kitchen? It's funny, I don't think I have ever heard of that?

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    ^What exactly was Mickey's Kitchen? It's funny, I don't think I have ever heard of that?
    Mickey's Kitchen was a concept for counter-service restaurants that were to be placed next to The Disney Stores. Two locations opened in Montclair, California and Chicago, Illinois. Each restaurant featured a relatively health-conscious menu along with dining in four different stylized "stage sets" that looked as if they were ready to be used for films or television shows. The restaurant ran parallel to the store and was elevated so that the diners could see the animated figures above the merchandise displays but couldn't see the merchandise, itself. Guests could enter both the store and the restaurant from the mall or from the street since entrances and exits were placed at both ends.

The mall entrance in Montclair Plaza was positioned at the bottom of a very long escalator, which led directly to a huge open expanse. In order to create a clear-span entrance of that size, a Postmodernist interpretation of a theatre marquee jutted out into the mall to provide support and hold the signage.

A tile mural that was identical to the image in the "Mickey Floral" parterre was used on the floor, and, when guests entered, directly in front of them was a staircase that led to the restaurant. A second sign with Mickey's Kitchen's circular logo. was placed on the wall at the top of the steps, and on the backside was a separate frozen-yogurt bar. The first stage set was my favorite and featured a beautifully-stylized Hundred-Acre Woods with canopies of colorful paper trees that diffused the light from above. The next was Tony's from "Lady and the Tramp". Beyond that set, guests reached the center of both the store and the restaurant where the service counter faced "plush mountain" and a giant video screen. A second grander staircase connected the store with the restaurant here, and flanking the steps were two counters, which allowed guests to eat while watching the big video presentations.

The third stage set was a scene from "Alice in Wonderland". And, the last stage set, near the windows and with views of the outdoors was from "DuckTales", specifically, the episode in which Scrooge and company learn that strange underground creatures are responsible for earthquakes.

The Disney Store, itself, seemed larger and more expansive than other locations, and there were these giant walls of curving glass that undulated in and out on one side of the mall entrance.

I loved that place. For the longest time, it was the closest Disney store to where I lived. And, the place was thriving until the decision was eventually made to close the doors and put a conventional Disney store in place of the truly impressive original

• Minion

Very well, but pointing to DTD as one of OC's top malls is misleading, as it is not a self-standing enterprise. It holds Disneyland resort's millions of visitors captive. They won't be in another city.

However, I do think there's a lot of opportunity for immersive mini-Disney hotels and resorts in heavily thematic vacation areas.

For example, I've always felt Disney should have a downtown Hollywood resort hotel/convention center. Just think if they recreated The Brown Derby, Pan-Pacific, Coconut Grove and other long gone Hollywood treasures (as they have at WDW)in their period splendor - - where tourists really want to see these things. And they could bus people to Disneyland as part of the package - - and package tickets for El Capitan and Pantages. It would be a huge hit. Maybe a Disney Archives museum there - - or relocate the DCA Animation exhibits there.

Very well, but pointing to DTD as one of OC's top malls is misleading, as it is not a self-standing enterprise. It holds Disneyland resort's millions of visitors captive. They won't be in another city.
    That fact is quite true. If Downtown Disney was divorced from Disneyland, I doubt anyone would care about the place.

It's utterly pedestrian.

•   
    • Minion

Well, this essencially is elements of the problem Disney has... If it reaches out to customers where they live, they lose mega resort status of places like WDW, this is a risk I don't think he should take...

However establishing themed experiances in other markets out of reach and of a differant scope, may make sense...

Soon it will be very difficult to grow the DLR and WDW organically... You are going to run out of room to expand. Small scale resort experiances in Texas, Ontario, may be a hotel in NYC... And even Boutique hotels in Tahoe, Colorado to support the DVC in the West makes sense too...

Out side of that, I am not certain the world is ready for "Rio Disneyland"

Expanding the DTD model is not going to happen. Not with out the support of a boutique hotel and small attraction based park.
    Check out my other blog:

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Keep it unique.
    And don't forget about Disney's America ... but then again in retrospect I think that could have been a great thing...
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter