Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    • MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,042
    Blog Entries
    4

    War Of The Worlds

    Okay so who's excited to see this thing?

    Here are the stats

    Opens: June 29, 2005
    Directed by Steven Speilberg
    Starring Tom Cruise, Miranda Otto, Dakota Fanning

    Trailers, and Stills

    I am anticipating this one. It looks to be, if nothing else, good entertainment from one of my favorite directors.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals. ”
    Homer Jay Simpson



  2. #2

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,838
    I may have to get off my fat *** to see this. I still have a month to actually do that, though.

  3. #3

    • rainy day girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    walking in the rain
    Posts
    8,436
    Blog Entries
    68
    I'm excited to see this movie. Tom Cruise doesn't do much for me, but I'll see this one in spite of him. Looks hella cool.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

  4. #4

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600
    This movie makes me sooooooooooooo angry! The original novel and the radio broadcast are brilliant and you know why they are brillant? Aliens invade our planet at the turn of our industrial revolution as we begining the formation of technology before we can truly fight back! The concept still resignates today, but you put that same plot into effect in an age when we have more modern warfare and technology and it looses the incredible terror induced by the idea of being stuck on horse back or foot with nothing more than a single shot pistol to fight off aliens with ray guns for eyes!

    I will see this movie because the visuals look amazing but this is NOT War of the Worlds but a cheap imposter in wolves clothing.







  5. #5

    • rainy day girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    walking in the rain
    Posts
    8,436
    Blog Entries
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    This movie makes me sooooooooooooo angry! The original novel and the radio broadcast are brilliant and you know why they are brillant? Aliens invade our planet at the turn of our industrial revolution as we begining the formation of technology before we can truly fight back! The concept still resignates today, but you put that same plot into effect in an age when we have more modern warfare and technology and it looses the incredible terror induced by the idea of being stuck on horse back or foot with nothing more than a single shot pistol to fight off aliens with ray guns for eyes!

    I will see this movie because the visuals look amazing but this is NOT War of the Worlds but a cheap imposter in wolves clothing.
    I agree that the original novel and broadcast were amazing and brilliant and all that, but I require much less thought from my entertainment than the average MiceChatter. I just want to see stuff blow up.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

  6. #6

    • Reaver of Souls
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Resident of the Etherial...
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    This movie makes me sooooooooooooo angry! The original novel and the radio broadcast are brilliant and you know why they are brillant? Aliens invade our planet at the turn of our industrial revolution as we begining the formation of technology before we can truly fight back! The concept still resignates today, but you put that same plot into effect in an age when we have more modern warfare and technology and it looses the incredible terror induced by the idea of being stuck on horse back or foot with nothing more than a single shot pistol to fight off aliens with ray guns for eyes!

    I will see this movie because the visuals look amazing but this is NOT War of the Worlds but a cheap imposter in wolves clothing.
    Easy there, tiger! It's just a movie. Yeah, it's not going to be anywhere neare as good as the originals, but go into it knowing that, and you'll be OK. Personally, I think that, even with all our advanced technology, an adversary that powerful is still just as scary. It's like having a gun at your house. Sure, you might say it makes you feel safe, but what if someone broke it, you pop off a few shots, and they don't effect him at all, or bounce right off? Would you not feel even more helpless than before, because your safety measure is pointless and ineffective?

    I don't expect this to be as good as the originals. I hope it goes in a totally different direction (which I know for a fact it is) than the originals, to make it something new. It could be quite good. Have patience! And if you hate it, remember, it's just a movie!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

  7. #7

    • Just this guy......
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I will see this movie because the visuals look amazing but this is NOT War of the Worlds but a cheap imposter in wolves clothing.
    It may be a little too early to tell at this point. I will go see the film, but let's see what it's all about first before we go attacking it.

  8. #8

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    It may be a little too early to tell at this point. I will go see the film, but let's see what it's all about first before we go attacking it.
    I can attack something that is such an obvious departure from the original source material before I have seen it, unless the giant reveal is that it did in fact happen in the rural countryside and Tom Cruise rides a horse and that all the mini-vans and shots of the east coast are some sort of holographic projection. I am HUGE classic literature fan of that era and it just stings...I expect more from a man like Spielberg who has delievered historically accurate pictures and fantastic sci-fi---why not put them together and give us the film everyone wanted Orson Wells to make?







  9. #9

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,838
    The original isn't all that good.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,108
    >>It may be a little too early to tell at this point. I will go see the film, but let's see what it's all about first before we go attacking it.<<

    The problem with this perpetual argument is that once Hollywood has your money, they don't care what you think. So, by paying to see the film before judging it you are not "casting your vote at the box-office" but tacitly approving whatever they do.

    Seems like one should less open-minded, judging first, then deciding whether to spend their hard-earned money or not. Maybe then Hollywood will have to make better films to coax you in by solid word-of-mouth or reviews.

  11. #11

    • Reaver of Souls
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Resident of the Etherial...
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    >>It may be a little too early to tell at this point. I will go see the film, but let's see what it's all about first before we go attacking it.<<

    The problem with this perpetual argument is that once Hollywood has your money, they don't care what you think. So, by paying to see the film before judging it you are not "casting your vote at the box-office" but tacitly approving whatever they do.

    Seems like one should less open-minded, judging first, then deciding whether to spend their hard-earned money or not. Maybe then Hollywood will have to make better films to coax you in by solid word-of-mouth or reviews.
    I understand your point, but it's sort of backwards thinking... How can one judge without seeing the entire project? I didn't see Lilo & Stitch in theatres because it looked terrible. Now I'm kicking myself, because I loved it. I saw What Dreams May Come in the theatre basically by accident, having no great desire to see it, and loved it, as well. I can think of two Star Wars movies I was excited to see in the theatres that I now want my money back for. Ditto on Hellboy.

    If I had a dime for every movie I didn't see because I thought it looked terrible, but ended up really enjoying when I rented it, or every movie that looked great, that ended up being terrible, I'd own my own movie studio. Say what you want, you simply cant tell until you're watching the credits roll whether or not it was a good movie. That's the point of showing it in the theatre. Not seeing it because you assume it's going to be bad, based on the fact that it's a remake (or re-telling in the case of WotW) is like saying gas prices are too high, so I'm not going to drive. Sure, if every person in the world did it along with you, it might make a difference, but that's not going to happen.

    I'm reserving judgement on this one. I'll see it in the theatres. I saw Judgement Day, and even though I thought the movie stunk, it was worth it to see the effects on the big screen. There's simply no substitute for that...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

  12. #12

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaver

    If I had a dime for every movie I didn't see because I thought it looked terrible, but ended up really enjoying when I rented it, or every movie that looked great, that ended up being terrible, I'd own my own movie studio. Say what you want, you simply cant tell until you're watching the credits roll whether or not it was a good movie. That's the point of showing it in the theatre. Not seeing it because you assume it's going to be bad, based on the fact that it's a remake (or re-telling in the case of WotW) is like saying gas prices are too high, so I'm not going to drive. Sure, if every person in the world did it along with you, it might make a difference, but that's not going to happen.
    If I had a dime for everytime I told myself a movie would be good and went and disappointed I could have made a good movie by now. Merlin is right consumers need to be deserning. Trailers give away the whole plot and if you can't tell weither its gonna suck or rock by the time a movie comes out anymore then I feel bad for consumers.

    Per example the only trailer that has honestly sparked any curiosity out of me is the ensemble piece "Crash" because the trailer reveals very little and yet does not ride on the few memorable moments of the film.

    I think the point is not to make a complete judgement on a project before you have seen it but make enough of a informed partial judgement based on trailers, reviews and word of mouth.







Similar Threads

  1. What worlds do you want to see in KH3?
    By MadHatter45 in forum Kingdom Hearts Series
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
  2. After the credits of At Worlds End
    By Dollars in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 02:40 PM
  3. After the credits of At Worlds End
    By Dollars in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM
  4. 2/22: Disney's Worlds
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 06:48 AM
  5. 2/15: Worlds & Universes
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 10:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •