BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' live-action from Nicolas Cage - Variety 2/9/07

Cage, Garner team for 'Sorcerer'

Konner, Rosenthal wrote the script

Cage

BY Nicole Laporte
    Variety
    February 9, 2007
    Nicolas Cage and Todd Garner will produce "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," a live-action feature for Walt Disney Pictures.

Pic is a possible starring vehicle for Cage.

Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal ("Flicka," "Eragon") wrote the script, which takes its inspiration from the poem by Goethe in which an old sorcerer leaves his workshop, in the hands of his apprentice, who's not yet fully trained in magic. The apprentice gets a broomstick to do his chores for him but things get out of control when the broom takes over.

The tale was the basis for the sequence in Disney's animated classic "Fantasia."

Garner will produce through his Broken Road Productions shingle. Cage and his producing partner Norm Golightly will produce through Saturn Films. Ben Haber will oversee for Broken Road.

Broken Road and Saturn are also teaming up to produce "Next," an action thriller starring Cage, due out from Paramount this spring.

Garner is also producing the Ice Cube comedy "Are We Done Yet," which Sony is releasing in April.

Konner and Rosenthal recently completed their script "Forrestal" for Fox 2000.

Cage will next be seen in Sony's "Ghost Rider" based on the Marvel comic.
    Cage is repped by CAA.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 02-10-2007 at 06:07 PM.

• Long live the Fire Lord

Re: 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' live-action from Nicolas Cage - Variety 2/9/07

I'm shocked, and, well shocked. I have to see this. Just to tell my kids I was there when the expletive hit the fan.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Re: 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' live-action from Nicolas Cage - Variety 2/9/07

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is the centerpiece of the most important work in Walt Disney's career. The sorcerer, Yen Sid, even represents Mr. Disney, himself.

This piece in Fantasia is the definitive interpretation in film of the Goethe poem and the Paul Dukas music. Why is Disney willing to attach its name to this competing version?

I am greatly disturbed by this announcement, and I am starting to question the competency of Dick Cook, if he is, indeed, responsible for the decision to approve this "remake", which is essentially what the film would be.