Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Local man sues Disney for $50-million - WTVT, 2/9/07

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/p...Y&pageId=3.2.1

Walt Disney sailed into fame and fortune with Steamboat Willie featuring Mickey Mouse.

Clearwater resident Steven Stein thinks he has Disney's original drawing of the famous character.

"Nobody else would have done anything this big of this character in the 1920's except Walt Disney," Stein claimed.

Stein says he paid a New York City thrift store $3 for the drawing in 1984, and he says he's spent many years and many dollars authenticating the artwork.

"I've had the ink test dated. I've had the paper test dated. The ink tests to the mid 1920's," he said.

That date would be after Disney created a character called Oswald the Rabbit, lost the rights to that creature, and came up with another one.

If the drawing Stein has does turn out to be Disney's first rendition of the Mickey character, his name was not yet Mickey. It was Mortimer. Disney's wife who thought Mortimer Mouse was far too serious a name.

Stein claims the Disney Corporation has refused to even look at his drawing since he approached them in 1989.

"I've asked them many times to either see it, tell me why they don't think it is what it is, answer my evidence," he said.

Now Stein is taking Disney to court.

"I'm suing them for $50-million, the copyright on Mickey Mouse, and the right to tell the Walt Disney story," said Stein.

Stein believes somebody must have a copy of an old newsreel showing his drawing over the shoulder of a very young Walt Disney.

Perhaps his lawsuit will flush that film out, and prove he possesses one very valuable mouse.

Stein also claims there are markings on the back of his drawing in the handwriting of Walt Disney.
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

• Huh?

Re: Local man sues Disney for $50-million - WTVT, 2/9/07

Uh.... I've seen the original renditions of Mickey. That looks nothing like him. Mickey was more of a stick figure in the original drawings. Not so round.

Looney!
    -Tim

• I'm Flying High

It doesn't look very authentic. Fruminous is right. The early drawings are less round.
    The daydream princess

• Banned User

WTF? Is this guy crazy?

One of these things is not like the other....

• Banned User

wow.. oh wait.. thats WTVT, they rarely jump on bandwagons...

this is going to be interesting. (strange, didn't think anyone would look in Tampa for news)

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    One of these things is not like the other....

Yep... Plane Crazy most represents the earliest Mickey since it was completed first. And notice the biggest sign: Mickey has gloves on in this photo.

If the ink is indeed from the 20s... could it be possible that it was done with old ink? I'm not too familiar with the aging process for inks.
    -Tim

• Shablagoo!

I am reminded of an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent that guest starred Steven Colbert. In it Colbert played a dealer who was a genius at forging old documents. He took paper out of an old book from the time period he wanted and would burn the page. Then he would mix the ashes with the ink and it would cause the tests to say it was from that time period. However, I am not saying its a forgery. It might be an early pciture of Mickey, but it is probably not the first one. I guess we will see.

Did Walt ever actually draw Mickey? I mean really, apart from a few very crude scetches? This looks like a late 1930's Mickey that was the art on Disney Store boxes and bags in the late 1980's

• back in Austin

Yeah, I don't imagine that Walt ever did any polished, inked drawings like that. If it were a crude sketch, I'd be quicker to believe it.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Most, if not all, of his claims will be tossed out on demurrer or a motion to strike or a motion to dismiss, depending upon Florida's civil procedure rules. Yo can't use a crazy-azz novel theory to get someone else to do something for it that the law doesn't require them to do.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I am reminded of an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent that guest starred Steven Colbert. In it Colbert played a dealer who was a genius at forging old documents. He took paper out of an old book from the time period he wanted and would burn the page. Then he would mix the ashes with the ink and it would cause the tests to say it was from that time period. However, I am not saying its a forgery. It might be an early pciture of Mickey, but it is probably not the first one. I guess we will see.
    Actually, I thought of the Simpson's episode when Bart met a bum who claimed to have invented Itchy. The Itchy and Scratchy cartoon "Steamboat Itchy" was a parody of "Steamboat Willie". The bum won the law suit when Bart came back with the original cel of Itchy which had a dated, original note from Scratchy's creator.

• Santa Barbara, CA

not to mention hes holding a cellphone
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Zoinks! Jinkies! Jeepers!

Ummm the lack of the gloves are a give away. Sounds like this guy just wants attention.
    "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

• I was deleted.

MANY cartoons of the time had mice that looked a LOT like Mickey or shall we say Mickey looked like the other mice. It isn't uncommon for animation in this time period to use similar looking animals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast