• Circle of Ancients

Six Flags season passes less versatile - Vallejo Times - 2/9/07

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_5183770

The main reason Barbara McHuron said she bought Six Flags season tickets for her extended family was because the passes were good for both Discovery Kingdom and Waterworld.

She was less than happy to learn last week that they're not.
    Six Flags officials have refunded the Concord teacher's money, and a spokeswoman said anyone who bought season passes unaware they no longer apply to both parks, will be dealt with fairly.

McHuron said she was led to believe the nine passes she bought for $69.99 each as Christmas gifts, would be honored at both Discovery Kingdom - the Vallejo theme park formerly known as Marine World - and at Concord's Waterworld USA park. In fact, she said, the Web site where she bought the tickets indicated they would be honored. As of Wednesday, Waterworld's recorded message still suggested that the parks are connected, and its Web site still carries the "Six Flags Waterworld Concord" logo.

"I am sure there are others (who think their season passes are good for both parks)," McHuron said.
    Though linked since 2000, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Waterworld's bond was severed with the parent company's decision last month to sell its Northern California water parks. The break was among several profit-boosting changes the company made, park officials said at the time. Six Flags season passes are still good at Six Flags parks nationwide, said spokeswoman Nancy Chan.

Chan said she doesn't know how many season passes may have been bought before the water parks' sale was announced last month.

McHuron said Six Flags and Waterworld officials are not doing enough to publicize the split.

Chan points to the company's Web site which notes the changes, including the Waterworld sale, but concedes that some people may have bought season passes without noticing they're no longer accepted at Northern California water parks. Six Flags officials will find ways to compensate customers who complain, Chan said.

McHuron was refunded her season pass money so she could buy Waterworld passes. She was also given two free Discovery Kingdom tickets for each person, and said she considers the matter resolved.

"The woman at Marine World said words you seldom hear," McHuron said. "She said, 'We want to do the right thing.' How often do you hear that?"
    Not necessarily, Chan replied, when asked if anyone complaining would get the same compensation.

"There has been some miscommunication, and if we come across it, we'll deal with it on a case-by-case basis," she said.
    Waterworld season passes cost $39.99. Discovery Kingdom tickets are $49.99, so a season pass still pays for itself in fewer than two visits, Chan said.

We understand the language on the actual ticket they received may be misleading," Chan said. "We are working on addressing this immediately, and if there has been any confusion for other purchasers, we would be happy to refund the season pass for any buyer who comes to us before the season opens in March."

"We have a lot of great new shows and attractions this year - a better-than-ever entertainment value for the whole family. We will be making an announcement in the coming weeks of new offerings this year, as well as our holiday events that will add to the value of the season pass," she said. "Plus, we have an extended season this year."

Six Flags' corporate changes upset some customers last year, when it was decided to postpone Marine World's highly touted extended season until 2007.

Though officials had announced extending the 2006 season to January, they chose instead to concentrate on "enhancing the park experience," former Marine World spokesman Paul Garcia said at the time.

Six Flags guest services department can be reached at (707) 556-5551. E-mail Rachel Raskin-Zrihen at [email protected] or call 553-6824.

•   
    • Minion

Re: Six Flags season passes less versatile - Vallejo Times - 2/9/07

Living in Vallejo, I can say, that there is no publicity about the split at all... And some dispute regarding the name change, as it is still "Marine World Parkway" off ramp on the 37....
    Check out my other blog:

• Grumpy old man

My dad told me about this today. I think the new owners of Waterworld would be smart to offer the dual season pass thing with Six Flags, at least for their first season, just to boost attendance a bit.

I knew about the split for awhile, but only because of here and some other news stores really playing up Six Flags selling some parks and Waterworld being one of them. But I was hoping some housing developer would buy it and knock down those ugly water slides.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad View Post
    My dad told me about this today. I think the new owners of Waterworld would be smart to offer the dual season pass thing with Six Flags, at least for their first season, just to boost attendance a bit.

I knew about the split for awhile, but only because of here and some other news stores really playing up Six Flags selling some parks and Waterworld being one of them. But I was hoping some housing developer would buy it and knock down those ugly water slides.
    I don't think Six Flags will allow a duel pass on their current marketing track... However they may find themselves in a pr nightmare... Having to deal with the Name change and sale...

If I was head of Waterworld marketing, I would develope a sticker that could be placed on a Six Flags pass that could be used for a seasons admission at a slightly discounted price. (10% at minimum - 15% at the most.)
    It looks like Six Flags Marine World was sold and re-branded... This may be what they are going for... But the pass situation is going to be a nightmare...
    Check out my other blog:

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I don't think Six Flags will allow a duel pass on their current marketing track... However they may find themselves in a pr nightmare... Having to deal with the Name change and sale...

If I was head of Waterworld marketing, I would develope a sticker that could be placed on a Six Flags pass that could be used for a seasons admission at a slightly discounted price. (10% at minimum - 15% at the most.)
    It looks like Six Flags Marine World was sold and re-branded... This may be what they are going for... But the pass situation is going to be a nightmare...
    Very strange to live in Sonoma, only a few minutes drive from Marine World, and have to find out it sold and changed names on a list like this. I would say their marketing people are lacking.

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by ladydragon55 View Post
    Very strange to live in Sonoma, only a few minutes drive from Marine World, and have to find out it sold and changed names on a list like this. I would say their marketing people are lacking.
    Well Marine World wasn't sold, the city of Vallejo still owns it and Six Flags still manages it, they just changed it's name to Discovery Kingdom. Six Flags did, however, sell their Waterworld USA park in Concord and is now not honoring the old "season pass for Marine World also works for Waterworld" because of it.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Well Marine World wasn't sold, the city of Vallejo still owns it and Six Flags still manages it, they just changed it's name to Discovery Kingdom. Six Flags did, however, sell their Waterworld USA park in Concord and is now not honoring the old "season pass for Marine World also works for Waterworld" because of it.
    ^ Let me clarify, this is NOT Six Flags decision, the NEW owners, PARC Management made the decision to not honor the Six Flags Season Passes already sold before the split was official. Therefore, all Six Flags could do is refund the money, and offer some passes to the one park it still owns in the area, Discovery Kingdom. That is pretty nice, a refund off all monies paid, plus some free admissions. I think Six Flags is doing the best it can in the situation. Hopefully they are pushing for removal of the Six Flags name off the Waterworld signage as soon as possible.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• *Stylist to the Princess

Wink Re: Six Flags season passes less versatile - Vallejo Times - 2/9/07

I live pretty darn close, in Vacaville. I did not know about the passes not being good for waterworld Concord. I have bought season passes before partly because it was good for the water park. I wonder if its still good for the Sacramento water park?
    I'm dreaming of a trip to Walt Disney World one day

• Circle of Ancients

^ My guess would probably be no since they sold that park as well ... I think. (don't quote me)

• Grumpy old man

See, I didn't know they sold the Sacramento Waterworld, thought they were going to keep it. Cal Expo will do a pretty good job of keeping it busy.

•   
    • Minion

See, I didn't know they sold the Sacramento Waterworld, thought they were going to keep it. Cal Expo will do a pretty good job of keeping it busy.
    Six Flags didn't renew the Sacramento Waterworld lease over a year and a half ago...

It was not "sold." It was let go...

The Waterworld in Concord however was sold...

Just needed to clarify...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ladydragon55 View Post

Marine World was not sold, it just changed it's name... It still belongs to the City of Vallejo and run by Six Flags... Just as it had before...

Sigh... I know they are having serious marketing issues... If I was Sapiro, I would actually change the marketing management of this park. I met the guy who was there two years ago for an interview... I could tell he was under a lot of pressure, and was ill suited for the position because corporate was not supportive... I don't think he had a clue as to what to do, or what strategy to employ.

I think they know what they need to do, because they did address some problems with the park this year... And they are pressing for a year round schedule, which is optimistic, but necissary - especially for an animal park. And it looks as if they are grouping their animal parks together (I believe they have one other in New Jersey)...
    Check out my other blog:

The signs around the area still do say Six Flags Water World, which I can understand because it may be taking PARC some time to get on their feet. I don't understand, though, why the Six Flags website still lists it as "theirs" and is still the promoting 2007 season passes.

Last edited by ZackC2003; 02-11-2007 at 07:11 PM.

•   
    • Minion

I am going to endevor to work some contacts, and see if I can get a better answer.
    Check out my other blog: