View Poll Results: How would you rate HANNIBAL RISING?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll

1 33.33%

0 0%

0 0%

1 33.33%

0 0%

1 33.33%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• out & about

Thumbs down HANNIBAL RISING - a MiceChat Movie Review

What are your thoughts about... HANNIBAL RISING...

You can help rate this movie for other users by voting in the poll and writting your own review below.

Rotten Tomatoes Review

Quote Originally Posted by ComingSoon.net
    Plot Summary: In "Red Dragon" we learned who he was. In "Silence of the Lambs" we learned how he did it. Now comes the most chilling chapter in the life of Hannibal Lecter the one that answers the most elusive question of all - why?

"Hannibal Rising" marks the first time in the award-winning series, best selling author Thomas Harris ("Red Dragon," "Silence of the Lambs") writes the screenplay reaching back to explore the origins of Lecter's rage, terror and savagery.

The story begins in Eastern Europe at the desperate end of World War II. For many it was no longer a conflict of nations but one of individual survival at any cost. A young Hannibal watches from only steps away as his parents' violently die, leaving his cherished young sister in his care. This horrific moment will soon pale in comparison to the atrocities he is forced to witness and perhaps survive as a result of.

Alone and without any means of support, he is forced to live in a Soviet Orphanage that once served as his family's beloved home. He flees to Paris to find his uncle has died but his beautiful and mysterious Japanese widow, Lady Murasaki (Gong Li) welcomes him. Even her kindness and love cannot soothe the nightmares and sorrows that plague him. Showing a cunning aptitude for science he is accepted into medical school, which serves to hone his skills and provide the tools to exact justice on the war criminals that haunt him day and night. This quest will ignite an insatiable lust within a serial killer who was not born, but made.

Gaspard Ulliel plays the fearsome Lecter, alongside Gong Li, Rhys Ifans and Dominic West. Peter Webber ("Girl with a Pearl Earring") directs.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• out & about

Re: HANNIBAL RISING - a MiceChat Movie Review

LAME - I found this movie uninspiring at best. In "Silence of the Lambs" I never got the impression that Lector killed for revenge. He always seemed more refined and more undercontrol and self-disciplined than that. I'm sure seeing...
    Spoiler
    your little sister get eaten
    would cause a frenzy of sorts that would turn someone to murder but how does revenge turn to enjoyment? I dont get it. And I didnt much care for it.

The acting isn't great either. Gaspard Ulliel's portrayal of Hannibal Lecter seemed forced. And his relationship with Lady Murasaki Shikibu (Li Gong, Miami Vice) is out of context and only serves to add a sexual element to help fill seats. If you must see this movie Id wait and NetFlix it.

WplusK.com

Haven't seen it yet.

But I will opinion that the Anthony Hopkins film "Hannibal" was IMHO the best of the series...a first rate film all on it's own.

Gary Oldman as "Mason" was creepier than almost any film character in history, IMHO.

Really a great film on all levels. Even if it is very difficult for some people to watch (re: Ray Liotta's fate).

• Banned User

I liked it, and I'm a film student.. so I trust my opinion or my professor's more than just some average movie reviewer who doesn't know how to make films.

The young actor who plays Hannibal was awesome, and the asian girl who co-stars was from Memoirs of a Geisha so I knew I liked her acting already. The movie was great, trust me I read the book so they didn't leave anything out. But I think the problem was people going to see the movie who hadn't seen the other 3 Hannibal movies.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    I liked it, and I'm a film student.. so I trust my opinion or my professor's more than just some average movie reviewer who doesn't know how to make films.
    Plenty of film school grad, professionals make lousy films. And you even have great films made by some drop outs.

I haven't seen any of the Hannibal Lector films. I really think I need to.

• Why do you keep talking?

what a mighty high horse you're on young lady.

I'll wait for this to come out on DVD before I get to see it (I also apparently have to watch the other three movies as well first...)
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• My cuties!

Arrogant, much?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    Arrogant, much?
    No I just don't like film reviewers. At least not the major ones, they're always way too critical and never like anything.

• Original Mice-Chatter

No I just don't like film reviewers. At least not the major ones, they're always way too critical and never like anything.

Maybe you should clarify that you were not backhanding the OP but maybe were instead commenting on the reviews at Rotten Tomato??

(trying to help you out of the hole- but if you wanna dump dirt on your head.....)

The movie wasnt that bad. i was expecting a horrible movie and I enjoyed it. The movie was slow at times but in the end it was just OK. Nothing special. The actor playing Hannibal wasnt that great but he fit the part. Anyone think he would make a good young Joker in The Dark Knight?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    Maybe you should clarify that you were not backhanding the OP but maybe were instead commenting on the reviews at Rotten Tomato??

(trying to help you out of the hole- but if you wanna dump dirt on your head.....)
    Thanks.. but most people on MC have something against me anyway..

• Original Mice-Chatter

Thanks.. but most people on MC have something against me anyway..
    Oh, ok- now the victim stance.

Nevah mind then-have fun.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    The movie wasnt that bad. i was expecting a horrible movie and I enjoyed it. The movie was slow at times but in the end it was just OK. Nothing special. The actor playing Hannibal wasnt that great but he fit the part. Anyone think he would make a good young Joker in The Dark Knight?
    I almost always enjoy movies that i think are going to be horrible. Because they have no where to go but up. Which makes me wonder why I go to see movies I think are going to be terrible. I don't care for Hannibal Lector movies so I won't go see this one although I was intrigued by the actor playing Hannibal Gaspard Ulliel, because he's one of my favorite french actors and I was wondering how a frenchman fit into it all and really I still don't know.

• out & about

Maybe I was expecting too much. But I couldn't get into it.

The young actor who plays Hannibal was awesome, and the asian girl who co-stars was from Memoirs of a Geisha so I knew I liked her acting already. The movie was great, trust me I read the book so they didn't leave anything out. But I think the problem was people going to see the movie who hadn't seen the other 3 Hannibal movies.
    So... did you like the movie?

WplusK.com

• That Guy

You don't have to make films to know what sucks or not.

Restaurant reviewers are not often chefs, rather they are people who dedicate their lives to the culinary arts, and make it a profession.

Someone could be taking their first film class as a freshmen, and that makes them a 'film student' big deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast