• Quality not quantity

Wow. I thihk I finally get Walt's vision.

So I was a little slow. OK I was a lot slow but I think I finally get what Walt was all about and how far from his vision the company has moved since his death.

Starting with his animation Walt wanted to improve the immersive experience for his audience. By adding sound, color, depth of field and making full length features he continually pushed the boundaries of what was possible. When he did all he could in terms of immersing people in movies and animation he took the next big conceptual leap. In an orange grove in Anaheim, CA he literally brought the movies to life and let people walk right in and experience them.

The "Florida project" was I think in his mind the next logical step. It was not meant to be just a bigger better theme park, it was to be the next evolutionary step. A world you lived in. Not just for a day but one that became your life, your work, your home. I don't know if I would have been itching to move in but it sure would have been interesting to see.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Minion

Re: Wow. I thihk I finally get Walt's vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    So I was a little slow. OK I was a lot slow but I think I finally get what Walt was all about and how far from his vision the company has moved since his death.

Starting with his animation Walt wanted to improve the immersive experience for his audience. By adding sound, color, depth of field and making full length features he continually pushed the boundaries of what was possible. When he did all he could in terms of immersing people in movies and animation he took the next big conceptual leap. In an orange grove in Anaheim, CA he literally brought the movies to life and let people walk right in and experience them.

The "Florida project" was I think in his mind the next logical step. It was not meant to be just a bigger better theme park, it was to be the next evolutionary step. A world you lived in. Not just for a day but one that became your life, your work, your home. I don't know if I would have been itching to move in but it sure would have been interesting to see.

Well, to be the devil's advocate here... I am not certain that it is fully off that course...

Here is the evidence: Promotion of Real D and Digital Projection in computer animated features... Focus on promoting Digital content - just look at the new Disney.com - incredibly immersive as you can get in a computer environment.

Today, I was puttering around a Target, and came across the Lightning Mcqueen TV/DVD system... The screen saver was on, and it completed the illusion of a TV as a character...

The Florida Project has turned into a promotion for Time Shares. I am not sure the original city project, Walt had would have had wings without promoting it as some sort of residency program... Granted it didn't follow the original plans, but the resourts are fairly imersive considering it was reclaimed swampland...

The one thing I have been disappointed in is the lack of interest by Walt's family in the company post Greenmail/Roy revolt #1... I think Dianne and Roy will get her "revenge" with the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. Having thought about it, I think it is why they are going to San Francisco to open it... It is close enough, yet distanced from the company that bare's Walt's name... I am hoping it has the kind of exhibits that promote imagination... Perhaps it will carry on Walt's vision better...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    You wouldn't have been able to move in anyways, EPCOT was only to be avalible to Dinsey employees in Florida. Guests would stay in the hotel in the City of EPCOT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experim...and_employment

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    You wouldn't have been able to move in anyways, EPCOT was only to be avalible to Dinsey employees in Florida. Guests would stay in the hotel in the City of EPCOT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experim...and_employment
    So you are assuming I was not an employee at the time?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain