0 0%
  • * - Avoid

1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Bridge to Terabithia' - MC reviews (Poll Added)

Had the opportunity to see this truly special film last night. WETA continues to dazzle and wow with their creature work and wondrous environments. The children in the film do such an impressive job that taking this journey with them seems and feels perfectly realized. The movie has such a beautiful essence about it due in great part to the photography of Michael Chapman and loved the score by Aaron Zigman.

Adding to the grace and embarassment of riches here, a few more words.
    Any film fortunate enough to feature Robert Patrick and Zooey Deschanel is already graced with such welcomed onscreen personalities and presence.

I would have loved to have seen this film when I was ten, but I'm grateful to have it now.

From Walt Disney Pictures & Walden Media
    'Bridge to Terabithia' opens Friday February 16, 2007
    The film is rated PG
    http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/terabithia/

Can't wait to see what you thought
    Last edited by ALIASd; 02-14-2007 at 01:47 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Man O Lantern

Re: 'Bridge to Terabithia' - MC reviews

Wow. Strong praise! My older two kids are TICKED OFF by the ads so far, they don't even want to go see it--they feel it's such a stretch away from the book with the Terabithia scenes. I'm not sure if that's just the marketing, or what. Because the bulk of the book is not about the creatures of Terabithia, it's about the lives of these two kids.

Also, I thought King Kong's special effects were horrible, worst I've seen in a "serious" special effects movie.

We'll see it on Friday for sure. I've already told them that Katherine Paterson loved the movie...that swayed them a little. I'm still not overly excited to see it. But I kind of have to. 24 years of loving that book more than most others says I have to.

My eleven year old is sure that the movie won't.... ahem....retain the same ending as the book. I won't say more than that....

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Wow. Strong praise! My older two kids are TICKED OFF by the ads so far, they don't even want to go see it--they feel it's such a stretch away from the book with the Terabithia scenes. I'm not sure if that's just the marketing, or what. Because the bulk of the book is not about the creatures of Terabithia, it's about the lives of these two kids.

Also, I thought King Kong's special effects were horrible, worst I've seen in a "serious" special effects movie.

We'll see it on Friday for sure. I've already told them that Katherine Paterson loved the movie...that swayed them a little. I'm still not overly excited to see it. But I kind of have to. 24 years of loving that book more than most others says I have to.

My eleven year old is sure that the movie won't.... ahem....retain the same ending as the book. I won't say more than that....

Stinker, I have the same concerns as you. And that's all I'll say too.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Transcending Pain, a Friendship Fed on Imagination

Leslie (AnnaSophia Robb), a free spirit, forms a bond with the introverted Jess (Josh Hutcherson).

By JEANNETTE CATSOULIS
    The New York Times
    Published: February 16, 2007

Despite an ad campaign suggesting wall-to-wall special effects, "Bridge to Terabithia" is grounded in reality far more than in fantasy. Adapting Katherine Paterson’s award-winning novel, the screenwriters David Paterson (Ms. Paterson’s son) and Jeff Stockwell have produced a thoughtful and extremely affecting story of a transformative friendship between two unusually gifted children. The result is a movie whose emotional depth could appeal more to adults than to their offspring.

Jess Aarons (Josh Hutcherson) is a sixth grader with four sisters, financially strained parents (Robert Patrick and Kate Butler) and a talent for drawing. An introverted kid who is regularly picked on by the school jerks, Jess forms a bond with a new student named Leslie (AnnaSophia Robb), a free spirit whose parents, both writers, are fondly neglectful. An attraction between outsiders, their friendship feeds on her words and his pictures; together they create an imaginary kingdom in the woods behind their homes, a world they can control and where their minds can roam free.

Beautifully capturing a time when a bully in school can loom as large as a troll in a nightmare and the encouragement of a teacher can alter the course of a life, “Bridge to Terabithia” keeps the fantasy in the background to find magic in the everyday. Gabor Csupo, one of the creators of “Rugrats,” directs this, his first feature, like someone intimate with the pain of being different, allowing each personality more than a single characteristic and reveling in tiny, perfect details: the mending tape hugging a worn pair of sneakers, the way a child detects the tension in a parent’s hushed conversation, the inchoate isolation of a lone boy in a house filled with the sounds of women.

With strong performances from all the leads, including Zooey Deschanel as a spirited music teacher and little Bailey Madison as Jesse’s youngest sister, May Belle, “Bridge to Terabithia” is able to handle adult topics with nuance and sensitivity. As the emotional landscape darkens, those who haven’t read the book may be surprised at the sorrow the filmmakers evoke without ever resorting to shock or sentimentality. In other words, your children may sniffle, but they won’t be traumatized.

Consistently smart and delicate as a spider web, “Bridge to Terabithia” is the kind of children’s movie rarely seen nowadays. And at a time when many public schools are being forced to cut music and art from the curriculum, the story’s insistence on the healing power of a nurtured imagination is both welcome and essential.
    “Bridge to Terabithia” is rated PG (Parental guidance suggested). It has some mild language, mildly scary incidents and adult themes.

BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA
    Opens today nationwide.
    Directed by Gabor Csupo; written by Jeff Stockwell and David Paterson, based on the book by Katherine Paterson; director of photography, Michael Chapman; edited by John Gilbert; music by Aaron Zigman; production designer, Rob Gillies; produced by Hal Lieberman, Lauren Levine and Mr. Paterson; released by Walt Disney Pictures. Running time: 95 minutes.

WITH: Josh Hutcherson (Jess Aarons), AnnaSophia Robb (Leslie Burke), Zooey Deschanel (Ms. Edmonds), Robert Patrick (Jack Aarons), Bailey Madison (May Belle Aarons) and Kate Butler (Nancy Aarons).
    http://movies2.nytimes.com/2007/02/1...5Mxrrd0BdbNfJQ
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Man O Lantern

Wow. Amazing movie.

I almost had to drag my Terabithia-loving eleven year old to it, but we saw it today. I was beautiful. And Zooey Deschanel is perfect as Miss Edmonds. The father/son storyline is great, the Jess/MayBell storyline is perfect, the Jess/Lesli friendship is believable and good. AnnaSophia Robb was a great Lesli.

I loved how they updated it somewhat, but sorta left 2007 out of it. Classic. There was MTV and High School Musical in the background of two scenes, and a mention of electronic devices, but the country kids in a redneck town was right on target. Could have taken place in any decade.

The Terabithia elements I was concerned about were infrequent and well-done.

Can't wait to see it again.

• Banned User

This movie gives me no interest at all.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

We saw the film last night with the kids. I haven't read the book, so it was a little suprising. I wish there were more movies like this for kids these days. My son was deeply affected by the film. It was great to see them enthralled with the story.

I would watch this with them again in a heartbeat. Heck, I would even watch it without the kids.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    There was MTV and High School Musical in the background of two scenes, and a mention of electronic devices, but the country kids in a redneck town was right on target. Could have taken place in any decade.
    Sure looked like 'Hannah Montana' episodes to me...

And so glad to hear that you enjoyed the film so much!

• Senior Minion

Good to see positive reviews, I hope to see it tomorrow.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Rally Time!

we saw it too yesterday and loved it. Me and my 8-yr old daughter just read the book (she even finished the last chapter earlier Saturday morning), and thought it was done well and remained true.

yes, it was 'Hannah Montana' in the back ground on TV - my 8yr old even knew the episdoe.

you could tell some people there didn't know the story, the ones with younger kids.
    a friend of Walt.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Interesting article on the film's wonderful visual effects:

Bridge to Terabithia: From Imagination to 3D Enchantment
    Tara DiLullo Bennett takes the imaginative Bridge to Terabithia to discover the enchanted 3D creatures and environment made possible by Weta Digital for Gabor Csupo’s live-action directorial debut. Includes a QuickTime clip!

By Tara DiLullo Bennett
    AnimationWorldNetwork.com
    [ Posted on February 16, 2007 ]

Defining imagination was Weta Digital’s challenge on Bridge to Terabithia. Matt Aitken and his team created the kingdom of Terebithia and its incredible creatures. All images © Walden Media LLC Credit: Weta Digital Ltd.
    How do you define what imagination looks like? It’s the definition of subjective, yet that was the core conundrum in bringing Katherine Paterson’s Newbery Medal award-winning children’s book, The Bridge to Terabithia, to the big screen. Obviously it was such a vexing concern that it took 36 years, from when the book was published to the film hitting theaters on Feb. 16, for Hollywood to figure it out. A cherished story for a generation of children growing up in the ‘70s and ‘80s, Terabithia finally got greenlit last year by Disney and they handed the directorial duties to famed 2D animation director/producer Gabor Csupo (Rugrats, The Wild Thornberrys). With his inventive visual style and adept talent for storytelling that appeals to children, Terabithia became the perfect vehicle to transition Csupo from the 2D world to the 3D world. The film tells the story of Jess and Leslie, two kids that discover through the power of imagination they create the magical kingdom of Terabithia, where magical creatures and adventures beyond their wildest dreams await them when the real world becomes too hard. Shot in New Zealand, Disney knocked on the door of the local visual effects experts at Weta Digital to take on the creation of the kingdom of Terabithia and its incredible creatures. Matt Aitken, visual effects supervisor at Weta Digital, says their relationship with Disney was just developing when the film was being bid out. “We pretty much started this at the same time that we worked on Disney’s new logo that plays before their movies. It was first seen with Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, where we drift down over this landscape and end up on the Disney castle. So this is really the first feature film that we have done with them and Walden Media.”

Weta’s in-house vfx art director Michael Pangrazio took sketches of the insects by director Gabor Csupo and designer Dima Malenitchev and created Photoshop collages.Known for their amazingly complex visual effects work on such Oscar-winning films as The Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong, Terabithia was a perfect fit for Weta, allowing them to utilize their technological prowess while also integrating their expertise as digital characterization. “There was a huge slate of different creatures that we had to build, creatures and the citizens of Terabithia,” Aitken explains. “That was work that we felt ready and willing to lead them to based on the experiences that we had on Rings and King Kong. Also, creating the environments of Terabithia was work that we had developed technologies for before.”

The film shot in New Zealand in February and March of 2006 and Aitkens says Weta was there from pre-production right through final delivery. We were on set for all the scenes that involved visual effects. The two big vfx scenes were pre-visualized. The production organized previs for the big fight in the middle of the film. They used another company for that but we were involved in developing ideas about the content of that scene. We pre-visualized the end sequence ourselves to find the balance between what should be shot on location for the view across the creek into Terabithia. We were working out where the camera should be so it’s looking at the castle when there is no castle in what they were shooting. It proved to be very worthwhile. Meanwhile, we were already building the creatures while they were shooting.”
    http://www.vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code...id=3179&page=1

The Wolpack went and saw this today and I must say it was a great family film. For adults, if you ever built forts in your backyard or bedroom it will bring back memories and for the tween set it is perfect.

None of us had ever read the book or were familiar with it, so we had no preconceived notions on what it would be about. It was nice to see a hollywood film that was not predictable. The ending was suprising and made Wolfy and Wolfette cry.

It is a great family film or for adults who want to travel back in time to their youth. I would definitely give it 4 out of 5 stars.
    Last edited by Mr. Lightyear999; 02-18-2007 at 06:56 PM.

• I luv you Ethan =]

I saw that movie today. It wasn't Like Narnia like I expexted too.

Vanessa
    [ Will you always be there to hold my hand? ]

I love you Ethan =D

<-- Of course that isn't me?! Haha jk =D

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

I think a lot of people are expecting it to be a Narnia/Rings type adventure. That's going to be part of it's downfall, provided the story isn't charming enough on its own to fill the void of disappointment. Not everyone has read the book and knows the special effects were merely a plot device, and not the main plot. Those not steeled for it, will be very disappointed.

• Still wants to be a cat!

The Wolfette just told me she learned a lot from this film......friendship, family and the power of imagination.

I'm still thinking about this movie, and that is quite unusual for me, usually I watch a flick and then it's done. Not with this one!

Quite an extraordinary film if you ask me!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast