• cold kickin' it.

'This Film Is Not Yet Rated'...

so i just saw this documentary called 'This Film Is Not Yet Rated'. it is about the MPAA, the association that decides what rating films get. going into it, i didnt think it was going to be that interesting. i was wrong. i found it to be really, really enjoyable.

the film really exposes the MPAA and you really learn what a corrupt & arbitrary system it really is. the interviews that they conduct are done very well. they also got several big names to talk with them, including john waters, kevin smith, darren aronofsky, matt stone, and several others.

i thought it was very interesting when matt stone was describing his experiences with the MPAA. when he made his independent film "Orgasmo" he turned it in to the MPAA for a rating. they got back to him and basically said, "the film is NC-17 and that's it.". he asked for details and what he could do to get an "R" rating. they told him that they didn't discuss why they give the rating, they just discuss what rating they decided on. several years later matt stone made "South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut". when they submitted it to the MPAA they got a totally different treatment. because this film was being released by a major corporate studio, the MPAA basically walked them thru step-by-step and told them what to change in order to get an 'R' rating. the only reason they were able to get this information is because they were working with a major corporate studio that was waiting to cash in on this film.

this documentary really exploits the MPAA and shows us how they effect the first amendment right of independent film makers. i am all for a rating system, just not one that is arbitrary and corrupt.

you should really see this...
    Last edited by kylelicious; 02-14-2007 at 10:31 AM.
    I don't party like I used to, I party twice as hard as before....

• Huh?

Re: 'This Film Is Not Yet Rated'...

I think I shall see it someday...

I've known about the MPAA corruption for years. About all the bargains they do to get what they want and such. It's exactly why a rating for one movie can be R and another movie with the same content can be NC-17. It has nothing to do with a film's content. Just a bunch of bargaining.

Want to see some example of what kind of nonsense is in the MPAA? Compare the rated and unrated versions of American Pie. Basically, it's a difference of a half second in most of the extended scenes.
    -Tim

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kylelicious View Post
    this documentary really exploits the MPAA and shows us how they effect the first amendment right of independent film makers. i am all for a rating system, just not one that is arbitrary and corrupt.

you should really see this...
    I'm not really sure how the MPAA exploits rights. Remember, it is a voluntary system. I still think the best way for the MPAA to be dealt with is a competitor.

I will be sure to check out this film. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I'm not really sure how the MPAA exploits rights. Remember, it is a voluntary system. I still think the best way for the MPAA to be dealt with is a competitor.

I will be sure to check out this film. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
    The only way a competitor could be created would be to have whole theater chains decide their own ratings. Then, a movie would be shown only at that chain's theaters, with the appropriate rating and enforcement therein.
    It could happen. On a smaller scale, with smaller independent theaters, it already happens.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

I've always suspected that the MPAA was full of crap. I'm definitely interested in this film.

• My cuties!

Thanks for the review Kyle; I added it to my Netflix.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    The only way a competitor could be created would be to have whole theater chains decide their own ratings. Then, a movie would be shown only at that chain's theaters, with the appropriate rating and enforcement therein.
    It could happen. On a smaller scale, with smaller independent theaters, it already happens.
    I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't the studios be the ones that would have to back a different system? I don't see how a theater (chain) would pass on, say Indiana Jones IV, because it was rated by the, say, American Film Rating Board instead of the MPAA.

• Rock Star Minion

I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't the studios be the ones that would have to back a different system? I don't see how a theater (chain) would pass on, say Indiana Jones IV, because it was rated by the, say, American Film Rating Board instead of the MPAA.
    My idea is that, say, the AMC movie theater chain would simply rate movies with its own ratings board, take the risk of offending people, and enforce its policies of not allowing children of certain ages into the theater without an adult or legal guardian. The problem with this idea is that there is already tons of coercion from studios toward theater chains. High-revenue films often get combined inextricably with the crappy ones.

The studios back the current system, so I don't see any competition arising from them. I think they like it as it is, corruption and all.

Also, competitors exist in the form of religious institutions' publications, advising their followers not to see certain movies that offend their own religion in some shape or form. Strictly voluntary suggestions, of course, along with notifying the flock of the various protest marches in the area.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• cold kickin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    I think I shall see it someday...

I've known about the MPAA corruption for years. About all the bargains they do to get what they want and such. It's exactly why a rating for one movie can be R and another movie with the same content can be NC-17. It has nothing to do with a film's content. Just a bunch of bargaining.

Want to see some example of what kind of nonsense is in the MPAA? Compare the rated and unrated versions of American Pie. Basically, it's a difference of a half second in most of the extended scenes.
    you should see the difference in the 'R' rated "American Pie" and the 'NC-17' rated indie film "But I'm A Cheerleader". they compare the two in the documentary. American Pie, even though it's rated 'R', gets away with way more then But I'm A Cheerleader because American Pie was put out by a large corporate studio whereas But I'm A Cheerleader was put out by an independent studio.

well, it is a voluntary system on paper. if you choose not to go thru the MPAA, you're film won't get any time in theatres, no advertising money, nothing. basically, you're dead with out and MPAA rating.

and as for competition, it's possible but it won't happen. there are already alternatives, but the large corporate studios don't pay attention to them and only use the MPAA. the studios have control over the MPAA, so why would they want to welcome a competitor??

like i said, the studios, at least the big corporate studios, are way better off sticking with the MPAA. they have them in their back pocket.

i think if you see this film it will answer a lot of your questions.

• Huh?

Does it go into any detail of films that have asked for a higher rating? I can't name the films at the moment, but I've heard of studios asking the MPAA to give a higher rating than it deserved because they didn't think people would see it if the movie was rated G or PG. That may not be as true these days, but I've heard of cases in the 80s and into the early 90s where it's happened. Market has changed a lot since then, though.
    -Tim

• Waiting for the stork

Kyle, I just saw this pop up on my netflix, and was curious. I am going to add it now, thanks for the review and recommendation....
    procrastibating

• cold kickin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Does it go into any detail of films that have asked for a higher rating? I can't name the films at the moment, but I've heard of studios asking the MPAA to give a higher rating than it deserved because they didn't think people would see it if the movie was rated G or PG. That may not be as true these days, but I've heard of cases in the 80s and into the early 90s where it's happened. Market has changed a lot since then, though.
    no, they didn't really touch on that topic. i'm pretty sure that's it would be pretty simple to request that your film be rated a little higher.

• e komo mai

I liked this documentary also. I highly recommend it.
    Not a fan of censorship.