• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Archie' comics artist dies at 85 - USA TODAY 2/15/07

Archie comics artist dies at 85

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) Joe Edwards, an artist who worked on the 1942 debut issue of Archie comics and later created the character Li'l Jinx, has died.

Edwards, who was 85, died Feb. 1 at his home after years of treatment for heart problems, said his son, Todd Edwards.

A Manhattan native, Edwards served in the Army during World War II, illustrating training manuals. While based in Italy, he drew animated cartoons warning of minefields around Naples.

Edwards worked for Demby Studios, which produced comic book stories for a number of publishers, and then joined the former MLJ Comics, the precursor to Archie Comics.

Todd Edwards said his father always carried a sketch pad, and despite failing health in later years, would delight doctors and nurses with sketches drawn personally for them. "He loved it when he could make people smile," his son said.

Along with drawing the popular redheaded teenager, Archie Andrews, and his pals Jughead, Betty and Veronica, Edwards created Li'l Jinx, a precocious girl who had her own comic book for a time and still appears as a character in others, said Victor Gorelick, vice president and managing editor of Archie Comics.

Many of Li'l Jinx's adventures were based on Edwards' experiences with his own two sons and daughters. "He was a very funny cartoonist, and a good ideas man," Gorelick said.

Edwards was a member of the Berndt Toast Gang, the nickname for the Long Island chapter of the National Cartoonists' Society.

Besides his son Todd, Edwards is survived by his wife, Eda Selnick, another son, Ken, a daughter, Naomi, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

A graveside service was held on Sunday.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...rds-obit_x.htm
    Last edited by ALIASd; 02-14-2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: sp
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: 'Archie' comics artist dies at 85 - USA TODAY 2/15/07

Awwwww! I grew up reading Archie comics!

• Huh?

Archie was quite a comic stuck in time. Throughout the years, never did stray from its 50s comics sensibility. I quite admire the comics for being able to survive nearly unchanged as most comics try to be edgier.

My favorite was when Archie teamed up with the Punisher. I'm not kidding. There was a villain that looked like Archie that the Punisher was after.... but, best part was at the very end, when it showed Professor X talking to Wolverine about going after quite possibly the most powerful mutant ever -- who happened to look a lot like Jughead.

I never quite understood the Christian Archie comics. All of a sudden, the entire school is suddenly VERY Christian for a span of 2 or 3 books and all anybody in the school can talk about is Jesus, yet throughout the entire run, they were never like that?!
    -Tim

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Awwww I used to LOVE Archie comics when I was a kid!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• All you need is LOVE

Awe I use to love them he will be missed

• Senior Minion

I remember watching the television show. Archie's and then Josie and the *****cats.
    It was actually a great show. Jughead was one of my favorite characters.
    The song is stuck in my head now... Arrchieeess! Arrchieeess!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Awwwww! I grew up reading Archie comics!
    Many an Archie comic book was bought by me with me 25 cents a week allowance back in the day...Archie, Betty, Veronica, Reggie, and of course Jughead to name a few...what memories.

Pour a little sugar on me.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.