Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Creative Director

Re: John Lasseter on Disneyland, and Walt Disney's Legacy

yeah, I think overall what Pixar will bring to the culture will be good, but I don't see the gossip and leaks stopping either. Maybe in some places here and there, which would probably be good. Actually, I kind of like how Pixar keeps things completely sealed before the film is released, and it lets me go in with no early judgements or expectations. Though I wish they would speak out a bit more than they do on certain things.
    I just keep noticing that John never gets asked the hardball questions about the state of things at Disney and Pixar. I know he will probably just say he can't talk about it, but I actually never see any of those questions asked. Maybe they just have really good PR people off to the side?=)

Well, this interview Lasseter gave was to an A.M. radio station. I'm sure they were just happy to have him on their airwaves.

Has Lasseter granted many interviews to more demanding media outlets?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    I believe this is what he and the Pixar gang are going to try to bring to Disney- that great Pixarian secretiveness.
    I think it may overall be a good thing, but I don't know how it is going to work...

I am not convinced... So long as Katz and Iger are now reportedly good friends... We'll see...
    Check out my other blog:

• Santa Barbara, CA

I read the Neil Gabler Book and it really blew me away. I saw the cultural similarities between Pixar and Disney, especially during the "work all night, small team, old building, no frills, changing the medium "Snow White/Toy Story" days. Next came the bigger nicer studio, success and of course the downhill slide of films. (Cars was not Toy Story) John is not Walt. But culturally you get the success can spoil things danger, the success can make the pressure of "topping pigs with pigs", etc. We even saw this happen after the Lion King at WDFA with the new animation building, mega salaries, and then the "lets make serious stories and art"... they lost their way. Only this time around, Pixar just moved from their "Hyperion" digs into their Steve jobs funded Campus "Burbank" phase. And of course... the WDC is the "Bank of America".
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    I read the Neil Gabler Book and it really blew me away. I saw the cultural similarities between Pixar and Disney, especially during the "work all night, small team, old building, no frills, changing the medium "Snow White/Toy Story" days. Next came the bigger nicer studio, success and of course the downhill slide of films. (Cars was not Toy Story) John is not Walt. But culturally you get the success can spoil things danger, the success can make the pressure of "topping pigs with pigs", etc. We even saw this happen after the Lion King at WDFA with the new animation building, mega salaries, and then the "lets make serious stories and art"... they lost their way. Only this time around, Pixar just moved from their "Hyperion" digs into their Steve jobs funded Campus "Burbank" phase. And of course... the WDC is the "Bank of America".
    When Eisner announced he was doubling production at W.D.F.A., I knew that moment would be the beginning of the end.

• time to go

Excellent analogy, Orville.

Do you feel it's possible that John recognized the similarities himself, and agreed to the acquisition because of what WDFA went through? Especially after Pixar lost Joe Ranft?
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Creative Director

^Sorry, I feel like a total idiot saying this, but could you elaborate on that? So John maybe agreed to the acquisition because of what?

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post

I am not convinced... So long as Katz and Iger are now reportedly good friends... We'll see...
    LOL. I don't see it happening to Disney overall, hell no. haha. But at least to the WDFA side, and keeping things more hush-hush on the production of upcoming films. Could be interesting to see how that works out? As for WDI, and whatever else, I can't see the gears of the machine rolling without gossip. hmmm....

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Excellent analogy, Orville.

Do you feel it's possible that John recognized the similarities himself, and agreed to the acquisition because of what WDFA went through? Especially after Pixar lost Joe Ranft?
    I'm sure he saw that it was broken. But all the ills Walt had of being spread too thin, hating the corporate bureauocracy he created, and even at a point realizing that the world he had to live in was one where his medium was compromised could happen to JL. Walt could never go back to the days of making movies like Snow White. He had lower budgets and had to churn them out. Now that Disney has swallowed up Pixar, I suspect there will be a velvet "noose" of fiscal responsibility gently placed around their collective necks during some sappy award ceremony, or just following their first flop, whenever that is, waiting to be tightened at a moments notice.

Like Snow White, Pixar was redefining the "realism" and art of their medium. That "wow" may be wearing off as the screen has gotten flooded with better CG films. They are infallable right now, a tough place to be. Like the Snow White era, they had their own small culture that decided when it was "done" and kept spending, versus a bunch of marketing people dictating to them which toys to put in the film. Enter today's Disney marketing. Like chinese water torture, I think the WDC corporate culture will seduce and break them over time. JL will do great things and make a big difference. He'll have to choose Disney.. or his family. It's hard to be great at both. (they are not MY kids, I hope he picks Disney). The artists will eventually lose interest in decorating their cubicles with action figures, tire of being gawked at as "one of those wacky creative types" on stock analyst tours, and inperceptively fester into career Imagineers. The final resting place of those who can write puns. Right now the Honeymoon is still way on and they've got the power. One or two flopbusters with big overruns, and those mouske-brows will start to furrow.

Or not. :-)
    Last edited by Cousin Orville; 02-19-2007 at 12:41 AM.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

I'm sure he saw that it was broken. But all the ills Walt had of being spread too thin, hating the corporate bureauocracy he created, and even at a point realizing that the world he had to live in was one where his medium was compromised could happen to JL. Walt could never go back to the days of making movies like Snow White. He had lower budgets and had to churn them out. Now that Disney has swallowed up Pixar, I suspect there will be a velvet "noose" of fiscal responsibility gently placed around their collective necks during some sappy award ceremony, or just following their first flop, whenever that is, waiting to be tightened at a moments notice.

Like Snow White, Pixar was redefining the "realism" and art of their medium. That "wow" may be wearing off as the screen has gotten flooded with better CG films. They are infallable right now, a tough place to be. Like the Snow White era, they had their own small culture that decided when it was "done" and kept spending, versus a bunch of marketing people dictating to them which toys to put in the film. Enter today's Disney marketing. Like chinese water torture, I think the WDC corporate culture will seduce and break them over time. JL will do great things and make a big difference. He'll have to choose Disney.. or his family. It's hard to be great at both. (they are not MY kids, I hope he picks Disney). The artists will eventually lose interest in decorating their cubicles with action figures, tire of being gawked at as "one of those wacky creative types" on stock analyst tours, and inperceptively fester into career Imagineers. The final resting place of those who can write puns. Right now the Honeymoon is still way on and they've got the power. One or two flopbusters with big overruns, and those mouske-brows will start to furrow.

Or not. :-)

I am not really all that convinced of the analogy applies... I question the idea that Pixar was built with the Walt model in mind 100 %.

The leadership style that Walt employed is sort of a "Pied Piper." Walt's name is on top - and it developed a cult of personality... This in many ways was Walt's biggest weakness... and it caused the most problems for him.

Pixar operates more on an Apple/LucasFilms model - You get the best people and foster their creativity by giving them the best resources in order to make them shine as individuals, innovate both to solve problems and to give consumers the experiance they demand, and produce the best wholistic product available - however the team whole takes the credit. Yes you have egos - but the egos are not more important than the product.

Pixar has a lot of unsung talent that few people really mention or proclaim. Lasseter is not Walt - Pixar isn't the John Lasster Company.
    Check out my other blog:

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I am not really all that convinced of the analogy applies... I question the idea that Pixar was built with the Walt model in mind 100 %.
    I agree. Pixar wasn't built with that in mind at all. They are artists and a scriptless system evolved. I just thought there were similar attributes to both that are worth noticing. They had luxuries in their isolated process and culture that I thought were like the golden age of Disney. As was said, John is not Walt. Good point.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Nope. John isn't Walt. And that's just kewl.

Walt (at least the one that died in 1966) couldn't survive in 2007 doing things the same way he always had.

John understands the business aspect today. He understands how FA was almost killed by MBAs and mindless execs making creative decisions.

There have been two golden ages of Disney animation and if there's going to be a third it'll come about because of John.

At the very least, he's blown life into what was looking like a corpse.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Nope. John isn't Walt. And that's just kewl.
    At the very least, he's blown life into what was looking like a corpse.
    4 sure.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Walt (at least the one that died in 1966) couldn't survive in 2007 doing things the same way he always had.
    The company was publicly-traded for a good part of Mr. Disney's life. He had to answer to a board, analysts, and institutional investors. And, he had them all charmed because he consistently delivered shareholder value based on continual reinvestment that produced a neverending series of assets that paid, almost like annuities. People stopped second-guessing him at a certain point because they realized how consistent his success was and is. And, he remains the most astounding strategic planner I've ever had the privilege of observing.

In this day and age, Mr. Disney would still be revered for that wisdom, especially today since his work continues to deliver such amazing value. Virtually every one of the company's successes since Disney's death is in some way attributable to his genius. And, the company's owners are more aware of that fact now than ever before. They would certainly place an unusual amount of their trust in his abilities, if he was alive today.

I know I would.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The company was publicly-traded for a good part of Mr. Disney's life. He had to answer to a board, analysts, and institutional investors. And, he had them all charmed because he consistently delivered shareholder value based on continual reinvestment that produced a neverending series of assets that paid, almost like annuities. People stopped second-guessing him at a certain point because they realized how consistent his success was and is. And, he remains the most astounding strategic planner I've ever had the privilege of observing.
    I think trying to compare would be difficult, actually... Walt's leadership style is better suited for a smaller company than what Disney is today... So I see WDW1974's point...

The sheer size and bulk of what Disney is currently requires a differant style of management, although I think what Lasseter understands is that the Core businesses (Animation and Parks & Resourts) within the exhisting Disney company is designed to have artistic leadership.

But is that artistic leadership relivant to ESPN, ABC, Buena Vista, and other aspects of Media Distribution? No...

The only odd man out in regards to the Core Business is Studio Entertainment (Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood, Miramax): in many ways this was Eisner's core business of which there is still much value if optimised - but under the current structure I don't see it being fully utilized because Dick Cook is a marketer and no one really knows how to work a film studio in the company at the highest level of the Disney Organization. So, it is my biggest concern in the short and long run...

That being said, I am excited about this year's film slate... but I am not confident it is sustainable if the best follow up Dick Cook can come up with is Jungle Cruse. This is where much of the Disney company watch dogs need to keep an eye out. Woof!
    Check out my other blog:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast