Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

John Lasseter on Disneyland, and Walt Disney's Legacy

Here is a section of a very nice read-

David: John, are we going to see Mickey Mouse in a feature movie?

John: Mickey Mouse, in a feature movie? Well. What’s interesting is that I love the old characters. And one of the things that we are bringing back is shorts at Disney animation with some new shorts. And we are in production developing some new shorts with, we call them the Fab Five characters. Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto and Minnie. We’ve got some new ideas coming up. And you will start seeing new animation of those characters. And it’s going to be great. But it will be short films for right now.

Marci: With the merger of Pixar and Disney, you have an expanded role. You’re overseeing both Disney Animation and Pixar.

John: That’s right.

Marci: So you might have some influence over Mickey making it to a feature film.

John: Yes, I like Mickey. He’s a good friend of mine.

Marci: Let’s talk a bit about Disneyland. I love Disneyland. I read that you used to work there?

John: Yes. When I was going to college, I worked for a summer as a ride operator on the Jungle Cruise. People who know me can’t believe this, but I was shy once.

Marci: I haven’t known you that long, but it’s hard to imagine you being shy.

John: And I actually credit the Jungle Cruise with bringing me out of my shell. I love that ride. I loved being a ride operator because you are part of the ride. Anybody who has ridden on that, you know that the skipper, he has all of these bad jokes. And trust me, they are really bad jokes. You know, you show people the “back side of water” and so on… But one of the things that I loved was that you have this captive audience and I honed my comic sense of timing because of being on this ride and doing the jokes over and over, and really trying to make the audience laugh. And I loved it!

Marci: What’s your favorite attraction at Disneyland?

John: Jungle Cruise, naturally.

Marci: What’s the next one?

John: Well, Pirates. I would say Pirates, the one at Disneyland. It’s fantastic. And I am so proud, I don’t know if people have heard this. I also for a while was a sweeper in Tomorrowland, when Space Mountain opened. And I am so proud, that we are bringing back the Submarine Voyage at Disneyland, with “Finding Nemo” characters. We have been working with Walt Disney Imagineering and they have come up with this very innovative way to put our animated characters under water and in the Sub ride. And so it’s like you’re taking a voyage on the Great Barrier Reef and you get to see the “Finding Nemo” characters. So, the Submarine Voyage at Disneyland is coming back this summer.

Marci: How important is it in your new role to preserve Walt Disney’s legacy?

John: Very important. One of the things to me, the reason why I do what I do, is because of the films of Walt Disney, because of the amazing theme park that he built in Anaheim. For me, it was about how he entertained audiences. And audiences of all ages. This is a thing that I take great pride in at Pixar. All of the films that I have directed have been rated G. We’ve only had one PG movie, a soft PG movie, which was “The Incredibles”, because of the super hero cartoon violence. But other than that, they’ve been rated G. I’m very proud of that. But our films also play fantastically for adults and teenager. I believe that you can make great entertainment for the whole family. And it’s not that when you hear the phrase “family entertainment”, it’s not just for kids. It’s truly for everybody. And that’s the thing that Walt Disney started. And I’ve always believed in that because it entertained me deeply. And so I am very proud to be back at Disney, helping to do that. Because, I believe in quality. To me, that’s the thing that we have always done at Pixar, to be the make the best quality films. The best DVD’s. The best lunch boxes -- the best whatever. To me, it’s about making a quality product.
    For the full transcript click here (1,2)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: John Lasseter on Disneyland, and Walt Disney's Legacy

This is very interesting. Please let us know when part 2 is posted as well.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for this great link!

• Delawarean Girl

Thanks for showing us this interview. I am so happy to know that they are making new shorts of the Fab Five. I did remember back when I got my Disney information from the Disney World Community on LiveJournal (before I joined MiceChat) that someone did mention that John Lasseter was a skipper and they loved him for that. I love listening to John too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    This is very interesting. Please let us know when part 2 is posted as well.

Both 1 and 2 are available.

The quote from the original post is from part 2.

Part 1 showcases a picture of John as a Jungle Cruise Skipper; Part 2 showcases a picture of John (who is also a train enthusiast) behind Ollie Johnston's old steamed locomotive, which is now owned by John and will be located at John's new property in the Wine Country.

For the full transcript of both 1 and 2, click here (1,2)
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 02-15-2007 at 05:09 PM.

• Ex-DL parade float driver

That was a great article. Thanks for posting the links. It makes me feel good to know that Walt is alive and well in someone so high up on the Disney exec chain. For John, its not all about $$$$, its about Walt's legacy.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstein

Yes...Thanks for posting that!

• My laughing place

Wow (breathe a sigh of relief) it finally seems like we have someone in charge of Disney Animation that finally "gets it". Between Lasseter and Iger, I think the company is on its way back to greatness. Iger still has some work to do on the Disney channel but maybe that will come in time. I'm hoping Disney will hoping that Diney will start to get away from the tween market and cater to the whole family. It seems like John has caught on to the family entertainment concept..lets hope its spreads.
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• He dort Herausgeberkerl!

Thanks for noticing me...

Credit goes to Leo Holzer for letting me know John was on the radio.

Decided to strike out on my own with a web site on Disney, entertainment and popular culture after having written from Jim Hill Media for over three years.

Stop by for more Disney goodies now and then:

http://www.theblueparrot.info

Roger Colton, Editor, Webmaster and the rest...

• Minion FOREVER!

A very nice job, Roger!

Welcome to MC!

• Banned User

Very interesting to read.

• Banned User

John Lasseter is a great guy and all but has anyone else noticed he keeps telling the same exact story over and over again even the same word usage and everything?

About how he would get up early on saturday's to watch cartoons, and how he was inspired by a book on animation and he figured out people can make a living off of cartoons, etc. etc.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    John Lasseter is a great guy and all but has anyone else noticed he keeps telling the same exact story over and over again even the same word usage and everything?

About how he would get up early on saturday's to watch cartoons, and how he was inspired by a book on animation and he figured out people can make a living off of cartoons, etc. etc.

He is a PR dream... Talk about a guy who can stay on message....

Of course they are throwing softballs at him....
    Last edited by cellarhound; 02-16-2007 at 04:44 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

• Creative Director

^That's the thing, as much as I respect John, he doesn't seem to get thrown the real hardball questions, and for the most part, the Pixar folks tend to not even answer them or acknowledge they exist. I believe this is what he and the Pixar gang are going to try to bring to Disney- that great Pixarian secretiveness.
    I think it may overall be a good thing, but I don't know how it is going to work...

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    ^That's the thing, as much as I respect John, he doesn't seem to get thrown the real hardball questions, and for the most part, the Pixar folks tend to not even answer them or acknowledge they exist. I believe this is what he and the Pixar gang are going to try to bring to Disney- that great Pixarian secretiveness.
    I think it may overall be a good thing, but I don't know how it is going to work...
    It won't. The only way Disney can become hermetically sealed like Apple and Pixar is to replace 90% of the employees with folks who can keep their mouths shut. And that's not likely to happen.

Almost everyone at Disney gossips, and has for years. Even folks at the upper end of the food chain, like executives. (My experience has taught me that they're some of the worst gossips of the bunch.)

Folding Pixar into the mix is a good thing in an attempt to change the Disney culture. But this one aspect of Disney culture, IMHO, is never going to change. Many differences that existed before the acquisition will remain, especially this one.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast