• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Hitting the Mute Button To Honor An American Genius

May we hit the pause button to reflect and give thanks for a great man's work, before resuming our never-ending surf through the channels.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/16/obi....ap/index.html

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Hit the mute button for a moment of silence: The co-inventor of the TV remote, Robert Adler, has died.
    Adler, who won an Emmy Award along with fellow engineer Eugene Polley for the device that made the couch potato possible, died Thursday of heart failure at a Boise nursing home at 93, Zenith Electronics Corp. said Friday.
    In his six-decade career with Zenith, Adler was a prolific inventor, earning more than 180 U.S. patents. He was best known for his 1956 Zenith Space Command remote control, which helped make TV a truly sedentary pastime.
    In a May 2004 interview with The Associated Press, Adler recalled being among two dozen engineers at Zenith given the mission to find a new way for television viewers to change channels without getting out of their chairs or tripping over a cable.
    But he downplayed his role when asked if he felt his invention helped raise a new generation of couch potatoes.
    "People ask me all the time -- 'Don't you feel guilty for it?' And I say that's ridiculous," he said. "It seems reasonable and rational to control the TV from where you normally sit and watch television."
    Various sources have credited either Polley, another Zenith engineer, or Adler as the inventor of the device. Polley created the "Flashmatic," a wireless remote introduced in 1955 that operated on photo cells. Adler introduced ultrasonics, or high-frequency sound, to make the device more efficient in 1956.

A truly great American who has left a real imprint on generations of Americans.

And their furniture.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Re: Hitting the Mute Button To Honor An American Genius

Aww I'll hit mute just for him.

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Hitting the Mute Button To Honor An American Genius

I heard that on the news last night. I didn't even know that a person invented the remote control. I just always assumed that RCA or Zenith or one of the other big TV companies back in the early days invented that. Well, of course we must press the MUTE button in his honor. What a wonderful invention that was for those of us who don't have kids to do it for us. That's what they are there for, isn't it? The kids I mean, not the remote. That's for getting lost in the cushions of the sofa.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples