Costume designers pick 'Flower'
'Labyrinthe,' 'Queen' win a guild awards

By Eric Stitt
Variety
February 18, 2007

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- /noindex -->
Chung Man Yee won for excellence in a period film for "Curse of the Golden Flower" at the Costume Designers Guild Awards. At the kudos, Helen Mirren was honored with the distinguished actor award at for her work on “The Queen.”

"Pan's Labyrinth's" Lala Huete claimed the prize for fantasy film, while Consolata Boyle won the award of excellence in contemporary film for her work with "The Queen."

The ceremony's first award was given to April Ferry for "Rome" in the category of period/fantasy television series, while Eduardo Castro won for the contemporary television series kudos for "Ugly Betty." The honor of made-for-television movie or miniseries was awarded to Mike O'Neill for "Elizabeth I."

Jennifer Rade won the commercial costume design award for her work with "Target Branding Circle."

Sandra Bullock was honored with the Swarovski President's Award stating that costume designers are like "talented architects" and said, "slipping on a coat or shoes makes my character."

Donfeld was inducted into the Hall of Fame, while Grady Hunt was honored for career achievement in television and Patricia Norris won the Lacoste Career Achievement in Film award.

Mirren closed the evening acknowledging the designers as "such an important part of our lives."

"I respect you immensely for your energy and imagination," said the Oscar nominee.

The event was held on Saturday night at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel and was hosted by Jane Kaczmarek.
http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_...ryid=1983&cs=1