• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool XM, Sirius Sat Radio Announce Merger

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/...m_radio_sirius

What do you think about this?

I am personally thrilled. I am a Sirius subscriber and love it. However i have been able to listen to XM as well. While Sirius is fantastic for news, Sports, & Talk, XM has them beat with music - There are more stations and programs for niche forms of music.

On the surface this looks like something the FCC would knock down in an instant because of antitrust issues. However there is much more competition to Sirius and XM than you might think (to be fair more external). You have HD Radio and now Wi-Fi radio. Also I think allowing the merger could trigger innovation and competition amongst other forms of electronic entertainment. For example the words "Ala carte" were used in the merger announcement. The Cable industry has done everything within its power to keep from going in that direction. If Sat radio is popular with that formula, consumers will demand ala carte for Cable/Sat Television. The Cable companies will be forced to offer it or make way for a company that will.

I really like this overall.
    Last edited by BDBopper; 02-19-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Title of thread had a typo
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: XM, Sirius Sat Radio Announce Merger

I agree. I think this is a great idea.

• Rock Star Minion

It wouldn't be an FCC issue. They don't regulate those two companies' content.
    It might be an FTC issue, though. But anyone can shoot satellites into space.

Expect the monthly fee to increase to an amount where the one company can finally make a profit. At the moment, the price was too low due to the competition.

I don't think I'll pay for radio coverage any time in the near future.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I'm in two minds on this. I have Sirius (sorry BD, but I think they have XM beat in the music area ) and absolutely love it and think twice as much programming available is great, but my main concern is the "monopoly" on satellite radio this would cause. Yes, there are other music options for homes, but it's very limited for car radios to satellite and public stations. Since this is where I do 90% of my listening, this worries me. I just see another "monopoly" like cable TV where they can charge what they want because there's no competition.

Also, I just read this story about 1/2 hour ago, so once I see more information, I reserve the right to change my mind

• For You!

i have XM, but the subscription runs out this month and I'm going to switch to sirius - all the good sports on are on sirius. Nascar just moved there, and I want football and basketball!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Considering that XM and Sirius have the only slots available for Sat radio and assuming they merge, that leaves one slot open. There are several similar services overseas that can bring their service over here. I don't think there will be a gap for long.

Of course only time will tell. And to be fair on XM/Sirius on music there's not a big difference. Both are far superior to terrestrial radio. And I also come at a different angle on this since I don't drive and don't have a car. I only listen on a home unit through a speaker system.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• most magical vaca ever

I have SIRIUS- it and don't mind the merge but wonder what the monthly costs will be ...
    ~~~~~~

• Hola!

I have XM. We get if free because my dad is an executive for Boeing Satellite Systems and they put the 2 satellites, Rock and Roll, into orbit.