Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Re: Disney Orders TWO new ships!

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Well, an ocean liner can be pressed into cruise service, as such was the case with the S.S. FRANCE when she was converted to the NORWAY for NCL. However, a cruise ship, while it could be used for liner service, would not be ideal, and that in and of itself would not make it a true "ocean liner".
    NickCharles=

• Minion

Don't they cross the Atlantic when they go to the Mediterranean? At any rate, woo hoo!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    Don't they cross the Atlantic when they go to the Mediterranean? At any rate, woo hoo!
    Yes, they do, but not regularly, they take a more southerly route, and as said earlier, there are contruction and technical differences which are the major differentiators.

• May the F=ma be with you

To elaborate a bit more on the difference in ship construction, ocean liners are built to withstand hurricane winds and typhoon waves. They often need to cross very large bodies of water and if faced with a said situation, that captain cannot bring the ship back to the nearest port if need be.

While cruise liners do cross large oceans at times, they tend to stay closer to the coast and take the shortest route across the body of water as someone already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    While cruise liners do cross large oceans at times, they tend to stay closer to the coast and take the shortest route across the body of water as someone already mentioned.
    On the repositioning from Barcelona to Florida this August, we head across the Atlantic from our port-of-call in Tenerife, Canary Islands to Castaway Cay. It's pretty much a straight east-to-west run on that route, with the crossing scheduled to take 6 full days before landing at Castaway Cay.

Before you start putting these new ships in Alaska or on the West Coast, chances are slim that is going to happen. At 122,000 gross tons, these ships will not fit through the Panama Canal and very few make the run all the way around the Cape, so chances are these new ships will stay in the Caribbean or possibly Europe in the summer. If any ship comes west after these are built it will probably be the Magic, possibily the Wonder, but we are probably going to have to go east for the new ships. MC Invasion VI on the new ship in 2010?

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I wonder what the name of the new ships will be... May I suggest "Enchantment" and "TDLFAN's"?
    I'm guessing Flying Dutchman and Black Pearl.

It's all about synergy.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    Before you start putting these new ships in Alaska or on the West Coast, chances are slim that is going to happen. At 122,000 gross tons, these ships will not fit through the Panama Canal and very few make the run all the way around the Cape, so chances are these new ships will stay in the Caribbean or possibly Europe in the summer. If any ship comes west after these are built it will probably be the Magic, possibily the Wonder, but we are probably going to have to go east for the new ships. MC Invasion VI on the new ship in 2010?
    They could make the run around the cape; the ships are most likely post-panamax as you say. It would not be a very comfortable ride for pax though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    I'm guessing Flying Dutchman and Black Pearl.
    No, no. They need to name one the Disneyphile, in honor of my addiction to their line.

While capable of doing a South America run, at 15 days already for Panama Canal they are stretching it and a Disney Cruise would not attract the right type of person that could do a much longer cruise. Cost would be prohibitive to both Disney and the passengers. I think DP will get her wish and we will see the Magic out here.

• Banned User

While capable of doing a South America run, at 15 days already for Panama Canal they are stretching it and a Disney Cruise would not attract the right type of person that could do a much longer cruise. Cost would be prohibitive to both Disney and the passengers. I think DP will get her wish and we will see the Magic out here.
    Oh I agree with you. In fact, if one of those ships made the cape run, I imagined it would be empty of pax.

• Banned User

Didn't the Queen Mary 2 run around South America and then up the West Coast? I can't see why Disney's new ships wouldn't be able to do it. I am sure they will move all of them around. Currently, they only seem to move the Disney Magic around and not the Wonder. In my mind, I see them putting a new ship in Europe and putting either the Wonder or Magic here on the West coast and leaving the other new one in the Carribean. Time will tell. But I CAN NOT WAIT to see the new ships once they are done!!! Ooooh excitement for Disney ships in 2011 and 2012!

• Hiding from the Sheeple

The ships are designed for both Alaksa and Mexico. Depending on the popularity of the Med this summer, we may see future cruises there but with a repositioned ship.

A permanent home is currently being planned in Los Angeles. The first ship will alternate between the two destinations. The itineray for the second ship is not set in stone, but based on interest level, may follow a similar itinerary.

The Magic is scheduled to travel outside of the Caribbean during summers until such time as the third ship comes online. Both the Magic and Wonder are scheduled to remain in Florida for the long term with both new ships to be ported in California.

This information was obtained from my trip to Imagineering as well as my friend who holds a VP title with the mouse. I posted this some time ago (around September) on DisBoards. This information has also been confirmed by Al in an update in early January.

I may be mistaken, but didn't you recently state that there were no plans for additional ships? Please correct me if I have identified the wrong party.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast