• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Zodiac' - a David Fincher Film

I was invited to view a 20-minute sequence from the film today, and was totally unprepared for the elevation in sophistication and elegance in Fincher's work. He so easily evokes dread, fear and nervous humor that you fall easy prey to his unique brand of storytelling.

Having followed his career from 'Se7en', 'The Game', 'Fight Club', 'Panic Room', his great production of short films, 'The Hire' starring Clive Owen and even his recent appearances as himself on FX's 'D!rt', I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at all.

The source book, 'Zodiac Unmasked' by Robert Graysmith was fascinating as well, its a frightening and frustrating account of the still open cases.
    I can't wait to see the film in its entirety.

More on 'Zodiac':

David Fincher on editing 'Zodiac' - 6/14/06
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ghlight=zodiac

'Zodiac' from Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures
    opens Friday March 2
    http://www.zodiacmovie.com/
    Last edited by ALIASd; 03-03-2007 at 04:34 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'Zodiac' - a David Fincher Film

Entertainment trade reviews:

New U.S. Release

Zodiac

By Todd McCarthy
    Variety
    February 23, 2007

A Paramount (in N. America), Warner Bros. (international) release and presentation of a Phoenix Pictures production. Produced by Mike Medavoy, Arnold W. Messer, Bradley J. Fischer, James Vanderbilt, Cean Chaffin. Executive producer, Louis Phillips. Directed by David Fincher. Screenplay, James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith.

Inspector David Toschi - Mark Ruffalo
    Robert Graysmith - Jake Gyllenhaal
    Paul Avery - Robert Downey Jr.
    Inspector William
    Armstrong - Anthony Edwards
    Melvin Belli - Brian Cox
    Bob Vaughn - Charles Fleischer
    Mel Nicolai - Zack Grenier
    Sherwood Morrill - Philip Baker Hall
    Sgt. Jack Mulanax - Elias Koteas
    Zodiac 4 - John Lacy
    Ken Narlow - Donal Logue
    Arthur Leigh Allen - John Carroll Lynch
    Captain Marty Lee - Dermot Mulroney
    Melanie - Chloe Sevigny
    Al Hyman - Ed Setrakian
    Templeton Peck - John Getz
    Charles Thieriot - John Terry
    Carol Fisher - Candy Clark
    Duffy Jennings - Adam Goldberg
    Officer George Bawart - James Le Gros

An obsession that cannot be satisfied erodes the souls of the central characters in "Zodiac," a mesmerizing account of the infamous, never-solved Bay Area serial killings as seen from the perspectives of several men who spent years trying to crack the case. Conveying an astonishing array of information across a long narrative arc while still maintaining dramatic rhythm and tension, this adaptation of Robert Graysmith's bestseller reps by far director David Fincher's most mature and accomplished work. It is decidedly not sensationalistic along the lines of "Seven," hardcore fans of which may be disappointed by new pic's methodical nature and unavoidable inconclusiveness. But discerning auds worldwide will find deep satisfaction, pointing to moderate but sustained B.O. given proper distrib nurturing.

full review at http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...ryid=1263&cs=1

ZODIAC

Bottom Line: The stars align in David Fincher's chillingly effective hybrid thriller

By Michael Rechtshaffen
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Feb 23, 2007
    If the Zodiac killer got away with murder, then Robert Downey Jr. ought to be charged with grand theft larceny given how often steals his scenes

The notorious San Francisco Bay Area serial killer might have eluded law enforcement agencies for decades, but the compelling cat-and-mouse story that is "Zodiac" never escapes the virtuoso grip of director David Fincher.

Firing on all cylinders as a creepy thriller, police procedural and "All the President's Men"-style investigative newsroom drama, the smart, extremely vivid production oozes period authenticity.

Factor in a highly capable cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo and a never better Robert Downey Jr., and you've got yourself a picture -- one that should handily nab audiences hungering for something a little more substantial than broad comedies or campy escapism.
    full review at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/....jsp?&rid=8842
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Man O Lantern

Mark Ruffalo is one of my favorite actors, and I have been so psyched to see this movie since I saw the first trailer a few weeks ago!

I'm fascinated!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I can't wait to see this. I read multiple books on the Zodiac when I was younger. Color me completely intrigued

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Grumpy old man

I've been an avid Zodiac "fan" for a few years (fan is a bad word for a serial killer, but it's the best I could come up with). I spent a lot of time with the website http://www.zodiackiller.com mainly because of my interest in serial killers and the criminal mind, plus the fact the Zodiac committed the majority of his murders in my home town and sent his letters to my city's paper.

I may be biased because of that website, but the biggest problems I have with this movie is Robert Graysmith whose books have been blasted as incorrect and false by most other Zodiac investigators and the Hollywoodization of it. I know it's not supposed to be a true telling of the story, it's supposed to be a suspense movie, but I can't help but feel hurt by it.

Back in 2005 a small studio, ThinkFilm and Shadowmachine put out a movie about the Zodiac and while it's gotten some bad film reviews, it did one thing the other movie didn't that I'm glad it did, used Vallejo to film. The big budget Hollywood film's excuse for this? Vallejo didn't look enough like it did in the 60s for them to use, what a cop out. The ThinkFilm production used the city of Vallejo, used Vallejoians as extras, and asked the Vallejo people for help on props such as one of the cars the victims is found in.

That being said, I'll probably go see this movie, try to keep my mind open and enjoy it for the Hollywood movie it is. After all I've heard really good things about David Fincher.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    I was invited to view a 20-minute sequence from the film today, and was totally unprepared for the elevation in sophistication and elegance in Fincher's work. He so easily evokes dread, fear and nervous humor that you fall easy prey to his unique brand of storytelling.

I can't wait to see the film in its entirety.
    Have now seen the entire film and was even far more impressed. It's the next great step in the evolution of a brilliant filmmaker. This story is very much an tragic epic tale told with such patience and empathy for it's larger -than-life real characters, victims in some ways all.

And finally Mark Ruffalo has a fabulous showcase for his considerable skills,
    as does Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey, Jr. and the great Brian Cox. Not to mention always reliable character actors such as Elias Koteas, Donal Logue, Philip Baker Hall, John Terry and horror film princess Clea DuVall.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The Rage of Aquarius

The Zodiac killer has never been caught, but David Fincher still made a riveting film about him.

By David Ansen
    Newsweek
    March 5, 2007 issue -
    Obsession craves resolution the way a hunter craves his prey. But what happens to the obsessed when there is no resolution? David Fincher's fascinating, uncompromising "Zodiac" is about four men who became obsessed with capturing the legendary Bay Area serial killer known as the Zodiac. The case started in 1968 when two teenagers out on a date were shot in their car in Vallejo, Calif. The girl was killed; the boy survived. The killer, who taunted his pursuers with letters to local newspapers written in code, struck again on the Fourth of July, 1969, when he stabbed a couple picnicking by a lake in Napa County. His third strike came in San Francisco, where he shot a cabdriver in the back of the head and narrowly escaped capture.

Anyone who followed the story or who read Robert Graysmith's two best-selling books about the Zodiac knows that almost four decades later, the case has not been solved. That fact alone places Fincher's movie outside convention. Hollywood movies crave resolution no less than homicide detectives do, but Fincher, who played by the rules of the genre in his pitch-black serial-killer hit "Se7en," is after different game here. His movie, based on the two books by Graysmith (he's the main character, played by Jake Gyllenhaal), has its theory about who the killer was, but it's not ultimately about who done it, or why. Its real theme is how uncertainty—not finding an answer—can bend someone's life out of shape. Fincher, who did his own detective work in the course of making the movie and even uncovered new clues, is no less consumed with the minutiae of the case than his protagonists. The result is a movie about obsession made with an obsessive attention to detail.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17300647/site/newsweek/

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Hogs' cycle to top

‘Rider’ falls to third, behind ‘Zodiac’ bow

'Zodiac' bows at No. 2 with $13.1 million

By Ian Mohr
    Variety
    March 5, 2007

Paramount's well-reviewed "Zodiac," meantime, bowed at No. 2 with $13.1 million. Pic played to a per-screen average of $5,546 off 2,362. Warner Bros. partnered on the pic and has international rights.

Par brass said the pic's two-and-a-half hour running time was expected to impact its opening weekend tally. Latest pic by helmer David Fincher opened in line with his 1995 serial killer pic "Seven," which bowed at $13.9 million. His biggest bow ever came with 2002's "Panic Room," which landed more than $30 million in its debut.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Still hope for 'Zodiac'?

Pic earns $23.5 million in two weeks

By Ian Mohr
    Variety
    March 13, 2007

NEW YORK - When Paramount Pictures' "Zodiac" opened at $13.4 million, the David Fincher pic seemed to behave like many of the helmer's previous, edgy efforts.

Statistically, "Zodiac" was the helmer's second-lowest opening. Even so, it didn't open much below "Seven," his 1995 serial killer film that wound up passing $100 million.

Two weeks in, the numbers suggest that "Zodiac" won't be on the "Seven" track.

By the end of its second weekend, "Zodiac" earned $23.5 million. In the same time period, word of mouth edged "Seven" up to $30.8 million.
    Like many of Fincher's films, "Zodiac" has received strong reviews.

However, this year's movie fans don't seem to care. "Ghost Rider" and "Wild Hogs" were critically skewered and the studios didn't notice; they're still counting the money.

Perhaps the best shot for "Zodiac" lies abroad. Auds overseas stick with directors more closely and might not mind the pic's long running time or what some see as an unsatisfyingly murky ending.

The bad news for Paramount is that Warner Bros., currently handling "300," has Fincher's foreign rights.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...1&query=zodiac

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Fincher made exception for 'Zodiac'

By Eric J. Lyman
    The Hollywood Reporter
    May 18, 2007

CANNES -- "Zodiac" director David Fincher said he promised himself not to make another film about a serial killer after 1995's "Seven." But he said the script for "Zodiac" was too good to pass up.

"Really, it's only about a serial killer for the first 35 minutes," Fincher said Thursday during a press briefing after the film's In Competition screening at the Palais. "After that it's a newspaper movie and a movie about the reactions to what was happening."

Does that mean he's back to staying away from serial killer films in the future?

"I'd do another newspaper film like this one," he said. "But a straight film about serial killer film? It would have to be pretty interesting in some way."

The early Thursday screening of the 158-minute film was full and well received, with star Jake Gyllenhaal the main attraction at a lighthearted briefing afterward. One two-part question posed asked Fincher if he felt Gyllenhaal was one of the best acting talents of his generation -- Fincher said he was -- with a follow-up to Gyllenhaal about working with co-star Robert Downey Jr.

Gyllenhaal at first deflected the question. "I'm sorry," he said, "I was still thinking about being one of the best talents of my generation."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...bb5f9661ce2b8d

ALL-AMERICAN WAVE

Chloe Sevigny and Jake Gyllenhaal make a coordinated greeting at Thursday's screening of their film Zodiac at the Cannes Film Festival. The movie is one of four U.S. films in a field of 22 competing for the festival's coveted Palme d'Or.
    CREDIT: Francois Mori/AP
    PUBLISHED: THURSDAY MAY 17, 2007 06:00 AM EDT
    UPDATED: THURSDAY MAY 17, 2007 05:20 PM EDT
    http://www.people.com/people/gallery...039056,00.html
    Last edited by ALIASd; 05-17-2007 at 02:12 PM.