• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Little Mermaid' Broadway-bound star announced - Playbill.com 2/23/07

Sierra Boggess Will Be Disney's The Little Mermaid

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    22 Feb 2007

Sierra Boggess

Sierra Boggess, who currently portrays Christine Daae in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom — The Las Vegas Spectacular, will head the cast of the Broadway-bound Disney musical The Little Mermaid.

In a statement Disney producer Thomas Schumacher said, "We are delighted to announce Sierra Boggess is our Ariel. She is a thrilling young talent and I am certain audiences will discover that she was destined to play the beautiful young mermaid."

Actress Boggess added, "I am so excited to be able to play this role. Ariel is such an iconic Disney princess and to be able to bring her to life on the stage is a dream come true for me!"

In addition to Phantom — The Las Vegas Spectacular, Boggess has been seen in the national tour of Les Misérables as well as regional productions of West Side Story, The Boyfriend and Pirates of Penzance. She created the role of Binky in productions of Princesses at Goodspeed and Seattle's 5th Avenue Theatre.

The Little Mermaid will play a pre-Broadway engagement at the Denver Center Attractions at Ellie Caulkins Opera House beginning July 26.

Performances will play through Sept. 9. The musical will arrive at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, current home of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Nov. 3 with an official opening Dec. 6.

Additional casting will be announced shortly.

"In a magical kingdom beneath the sea," reads Mermaid production notes, "a beautiful young mermaid named Ariel longs to leave her ocean home to live in the world above. But first, she'll have to defy her father – the king of the sea – escape the clutches of an evil sea witch and convince a prince that she's the girl with the perfect voice." The musical is based on both the Disney animated film and the classic Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale.

Francesco Zambello will direct the musical, which features songs penned by Alan Menken and the late Howard Ashman for the Disney film as well as 11 new tunes by Menken and Glenn Slater. Doug Wright has written the book for the musical.

The creative team also features Stephen Mear (choreography), George Tsypin (scenery), Tatiana Noginova (costumes), Natasha Katz (lighting), Angelina Avallone (make-up design) and David Brian Brown (hair design).

Tickets to the Denver run will go on sale March 18. Visit www.denvercenter.org for details.
    For more information visit Walt Disney Theatricals on-line at www.disneyonbroadway.com.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/105974.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: 'The Little Mermaid' Broadway-bound star announced - Playbill.com 2/23/07

Another article about this story can be found at http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_5281828
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Contrary to the spelling error in the Playbill article, the production will be directed by Francesca Zambello.

http://www.francescazambello.com/index.html

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

That is one attractive mermaid. If she sings as good as she looks it'll be a hit.

Chad

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Review for
    Phantom: The Las Vegas Spectacular

(The Venetian, Las Vegas; 1,800 seats; $150 top)

By Phil Gallo
    Variety
    July 4, 2006

The snips have been matched with zip in the Las Vegas production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Phantom of the Opera." Cut to a sleek 1˝ hours, "Phantom" has been remodeled as thrill-ride tuner with pyrotechnics, layer upon layer of bombast and a chandelier that dwarfs every lighting fixture ever assembled for this warhorse. Thanks to its special effects, a finely detailed and acoustically superb $40 million theater and a marvelous soprano singing the role of Christine, "Phantom: The Las Vegas Spectacular" has a fighting chance to survive where other recent legiters have not.
    It also provides a chance to hear the splendid singer Boggess in a warm and tender moment. For much of the show she displays fabulous technical dexterity with her voice, but here her voice envelopes the lyric with striking purity. Unlike most of the other leads she has no prior "Phantom" experience -- her most significant credit is a road tour of "Les Miserables."
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=31&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Scrumtralescent

I saw her in Vegas. She really does have a beautiful voice, and is very pretty as well. She should put a slightly new twist on what we are used to hearing from Ariel. She will be great.

• Lucifee meany, sneaky

Up near the atmosphere...up where the air is clear!

I'm so excited that the show is doing it's pre-Broadway run here in Denver this summer. My mates and I already have our tickets to see it! Can't wait.

• mannequins man

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    I'm so excited that the show is doing it's pre-Broadway run here in Denver this summer. My mates and I already have our tickets to see it! Can't wait.
    How did you get your tickets already? I thought they didn't go on sale till next weekend? I'm planning to go also - as long as I can get a ticket.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Little Mermaid, The
    Lunt-Fontanne TheatreAn underwater universe is the shimmering onstage backdrop to this tale of love, intrigue and the power of dreams, produced by Disney Theatricals.

Show Dates:
    Performances from 03 Nov 2007
    Opening 06 Dec 2007
    Closing Open-Ended

Performance Schedule:
    Tuesday - Saturday @8pm
    Wednesday and Saturday @2pm
    Sunday @3pm

Tickets:
    Tickets on sale June 10.
    Pricing: TBA
    Box Office: Ticketmaster: (212) 307-4747

Group Sales info: Group Sales (800) 223-7565

Show Run Time:
    TBA

Theatre Information:
    Lunt-Fontanne Theatre
    205 West 46th Street
    New York, NY 10036
    US

Public Transportation/Parking:
    SUBWAY: Take the N,Q,R,W or 1,2,3,9 to 42nd Street, walk North on Broadway to 46th Street and walk West on 46th Street to the theatre; Take the A,C,E to 42nd Street, walk North on Eighth Avenue to 46th Street and walk East on 46th Street to the theatre.

Synopsis:
    After rescuing a handsome young prince, Ariel, a young mermaid, makes a faustian bargain with an unscrupulous sea witch that allows Ariel to be human, but at a terrible cost.

Show Advisory:
    Kid Friendly

Genre:
    Musical

Production Credits:
    Francesca Zambello (Direction)
    Stephen Mear (Choreography)
    George Tsypin (Scenic Design)
    Tatiana Noginova (Costume Design)
    Natasha Katz (Lightiong Design)

Other Credits:
    Lyrics by: Howard Ashman, Glenn Slater
    Music by: Alan Menken
    Book by: Doug Wright

http://www.playbill.com/events/event_detail/11331.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Lewis, Palmer, Scott, Burgess and More Will Join Boggess in Disney's Little Mermaid

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    20 Mar 2007

Sherie Rene Scott will play Ursula in The Little Mermaid on Broadway.
    photo by Aubrey Reuben
    Casting is now complete for the new Disney musical The Little Mermaid, which will begin performances at The Denver Center for the Performing Arts' Ellie Caulkins Opera House July 26 with an official opening Aug. 23.

As previously announced, Sierra Boggess will head the cast in the title role. She will be joined onstage by Sean Palmer as Prince Eric, Norm Lewis as King Triton, Tituss Burgess as Sebastian, Eddie Korbich as Scuttle, Jonathan Freeman as Grimsby, Derrick Baskin as Jetsam, Tyler Maynard as Flotsam, Cody Hanford and J.J. Singleton as Flounder and Sherie René Scott as Ursula.

After its Denver run ends Sept. 9, the musical will arrive at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, current home of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Nov. 3 with an official opening Dec. 6.

"In a magical kingdom beneath the sea," reads Mermaid production notes, "a beautiful young mermaid named Ariel longs to leave her ocean home to live in the world above. But first, she'll have to defy her father – the king of the sea – escape the clutches of an evil sea witch and convince a prince that she's the girl with the perfect voice." The musical is based on both the Disney animated film and the classic Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale.

Francesca Zambello will direct Mermaid, which features songs penned by Alan Menken and the late Howard Ashman for the Disney film as well as 11 new tunes by Menken and Glenn Slater. Doug Wright has written the book for the musical.

The creative team also features Stephen Mear (choreography), George Tsypin (scenery), Tatiana Noginova (costumes), Natasha Katz (lighting), Angelina Avallone (make-up design) and David Brian Brown (hair design).

Sherie Rene Scott received a Tony nomination for her performance in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and her other Broadway credits include Aida, Tommy and Rent. She was seen Off-Broadway in The Landscape of the Body (Obie Award), The Last Five Years and Debbie Does Dallas.

Sean Palmer was recently seen as Chip in the English National Opera production of On the Town, and his Broadway credits include The Apple Tree, Saturday Night Fever, Fosse and Dream.

Norm Lewis, currently on Broadway as Javert in the revival of Les Misérables, has also been seen in Main Stem productions of Chicago, Amour, The Wild Party, Side Show, Miss Saigon and Tommy. His Off-Broadway credits include Dessa Rose, Two Gentlemen of Verona, Captains Courageous and A New Brain.

Tituss Burgess' Broadway credits include Jersey Boys and Good Vibrations. He was seen in The Wiz at the La Jolla Playhouse, and his other theatrical credits include Children of Eden, La Cage aux Folles and Big River.

Eddie Korbich, currently on Broadway in The Drowsy Chaperone, has also appeared in After The Night and the Music, Wicked, Seussical, Carousel, Sweeney Todd and Singin' in the Rain. He received an Obie Award for his work in Takin' a Chance on Love and was also seen Off-Broadway in Assassins; Godspell; The Gifts of the Magi; Eating Raoul; Flora, the Red Menace; and A Little Night Music.

Jonathan Freeman, now on Broadway in Beauty and the Beast, has also appeared in Main Stem productions of The Producers, 42nd Street, On the Town, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Platinum, Sherlock Holmes and She Loves Me, earning a Tony Award nomination for the latter. He was seen in the Irish Rep's production of Finian's Rainbow, and his other theatrical credits include Sail Away, Encores! Li'l Abner, A Class Act and An Empty Plate.

Derrick Baskin, currently in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, played Mereb in Aida and Gator in the world premiere of Memphis at the North Shore Music Theatre. His other theatrical credits include productions of Smokey Joe's Café, Ragtime and Sundiata the Lion King of Mali.

Tyler Maynard, now on Broadway in Mary Poppins, received a Drama Desk nomination and a Theatre World Award for his performance in Altar Boyz. He has also been seen in New York in Mamma Mia!, the City Center Encores! presentation of Bye Bye Birdie and the Vineyard's mounting of Miracle Brothers. He appeared in the national tour of Disney's On the Record and the film "Palindromes."

The Little Mermaid will mark 12-year-old Cody Hanford's Broadway debut. His regional theatre credits include The Wizard of Oz, Evita and Fiddler on the Roof; he can also be seen in the films "Hounddog" and "Walk the Line."

J.J. Singleton made his Broadway debut as Young Simba in The Lion King and has also appeared in several Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS benefits.

Tickets for the Denver run of Mermaid, priced $20-$74 (July 26-Aug. 22) and $25-$77 (Aug. 23-Sept. 9), are available by calling (303) 893-4100 or (800) 641-1222 or by visiting www.denvercenter.org.

For more information visit Walt Disney Theatricals on-line at www.disneyonbroadway.com.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/106672.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Casting Complete for Disney's The Little Mermaid

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    09 Apr 2007

(from top): Heidi Blickenstaff, John Treacy Egan
    and Merwin Foard will be part of the Mermaid ensemble

The ensemble has been announced for the new Disney musical The Little Mermaid, which will make its world premiere at The Denver Center for the Performing Arts' Ellie Caulkins Opera House July 26 with an official opening Aug. 23.

As previously announced, Sierra Boggess will head the cast in the title role with Sean Palmer as Prince Eric, Norm Lewis as King Triton, Tituss Burgess as Sebastian, Eddie Korbich as Scuttle, Jonathan Freeman as Grimsby, Derrick Baskin as Jetsam, Tyler Maynard as Flotsam, Cody Hanford and J.J. Singleton as Flounder and Sherie René Scott as Ursula.

The remainder of the cast will comprise Adrian Bailey, Cathryn Basile, Heidi Blickenstaff (Carlotta), James Brown III, Robert Creighton, Cicily Daniels, John Treacy Egan (Louis), Tim Federle, Merwin Foard, Bahiyah Sayyed Gaines, Ben Hartley, Meredith Inglesby, Michelle Lookadoo, Joanne Manning, Alan Mingo Jr., Zakiya Young Mizen, Betsy Morgan, Arbender J. Robinson, Bret Shuford, Jason Snow, Chelsea Morgan Stock, Kay Trinidad, Price Waldman and Daniel J. Watts.

After its Denver run ends Sept. 9, the musical will arrive at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, current home of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Nov. 3 with an official opening Dec. 6.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107147.html

• All you need is LOVE

I so want to see this

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Me too!
    Here's a copy of the photo the new 'Ariel' signed for my niece:

She's still 'Christine' in 'Phantom The Las Vegas Spectacular'

Last edited by ALIASd; 04-20-2007 at 06:25 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

theater
    Moore: "Mermaid" star on crest of a fave

By John Moore
    Denver Post Theater Critic
    Article Last Updated: 04/15/2007 02:26:18 PM MDT

George Washington High grad Sierra Boggess,
    who stars as Ariel, with "Little Mermaid" composer Alan Menken.
    (Disney / Lyn Hughes)

Much has changed in the life of 2000 George Washington High School graduate Sierra Boggess.

"Yes, indeed," Boggess understated in her first interview since being named to play Ariel in the Broadway-bound Disney musical "The Little Mermaid," which first bows at Denver's Ellie Caulkins Opera House from July 26 through Sept. 9.

On Feb. 22, Boggess was flown to New York and introduced as Disney's newest princess. On March 11, she sang the National Anthem before a Las Vegas NASCAR race to a live audience of 142,000 - plus 6.1 million more on national TV.

"Pretty cool, isn't it?" said Boggess. "This is absolutely the most thrilling thing, and the fact that it will be happening in Denver is unbelievable."

Boggess will continue playing Christine in the Vegas "Phantom of the Opera" through May 13. Then six weeks of "Mermaid" rehearsals in New York, the world premiere run in Denver and finally, in November, her Broadway debut.

"Every little girl sings in her bathtub, dreaming of being Ariel," she said. "It really is my favorite Disney movie of all time, and Ariel is my favorite Disney princess. My family is so excited - especially my sisters. We all grew up loving that movie."

Sierra is the middle daughter of Mike Boggess and Kellun Turner. Older sister Summer is a cellist in New York who helped prepare Sierra for her "Mermaid" audition. Younger sister Allegra is a piano-performance major at the University of Colorado. "We're all kind of musical," Sierra said, "and we all grew up loving that movie."

Boggess first auditioned for Ariel in October. Her final, nerve-racking (and winning) audition lasted five hours.

"I walked in there very prepared, and I walked out knowing that I gave them absolutely everything I had," she said.

Then, the blur: In New York, she met fellow Disney stage stars Ashley Brown ("Mary Poppins") and Josh Strickland ("Tarzan"). "Both were telling me they've been there, in this position where all the sudden your life is a complete whirlwind. It's cool that I could talk to them about it, so I feel like I'm coming into this with support."

That support system extends to Jodi Benson, the voice of Ariel in the 1989 animated film, who long ago inspired Sierra to pursue her master's at Benson's alma mater, Milliken University in Decatur, Ill. It also includes G.W. drama teacher Nancy Priest. ("But I will never call her Nancy," Sierra says. "She's Ms. Priest.") Also Denver voice teacher Bob Downard ("He taught me how to belt") and everyone at the Colorado Children's Chorale, where Sierra once performed ("I'd like to be a role model to those kids while I am in Denver.")

But life won't really turn topsy-turvy until New York. "Nothing has really changed yet - except that I've made a bunch of new friends. People are kind of coming out of the woodwork," she said. "Right now, it's all anticipation."

She can't even imagine yet what it will be like to walk (swim?) out on that Ellie Caulkins stage on July 26.

"I really hope I will be able to just take it all in and love every second of it," she said. "This is what I've worked for my whole life, so to be able to just appreciate the moment would be all that I could ask for.

"All the stars are kind of lining up for me ... and now I have to do my part."

"The Little Mermaid" tickets are on sale at 303-893-4100.
    http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_5654355
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-20-2007 at 06:26 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast