View Poll Results: Should Roy V Disney's case be dismissed?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, The Court should not review this case.

4 16.67%
  • No, The Court should review this case.

20 83.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries
    Cellarhound - Thanks for your comments. I'm all in favor of the lawsuit continuing...I believe Roy felt he had no other choice. I think of the Disney board and all that comes to mind is DCA and the closure of Florida animation. One of my best friends started here in Burbank on "Oliver" and went on to become a supervising animator in Florida...it seems like it must have been 20 years as he worked on Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladin, Mulan, and finally Brother Bear. He was in the room when they walked in and told everyone they had to look for another job. I can't imagine. Was the issue that traditional animation wasn't making ANY money, or that it wasn't making ENOUGH money? In either case, how can DISNEY shut the doors and sell everything off? Strangely enough, if Walt were still alive, I think he would have been into the new CG stuff...always trying to push the envelope and discover something new. Of course he would be what...110 or so? But the whole idea of shutting down the studio and telling his animators to go pound sand...unthinkable. Disney needs a CEO with VISION and IMAGINATION who can SELL his ideas to the shareholders and the public instead of reacting to spreadsheets and bar graphs. Is Mr. Iger the one for the job? Hmmmm....

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    Go Roy Go! Stick it to da man Eisner!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Struggling

One of the points that I struggle with is what is the heart of the company.

I guess I do not believe that it is just about the movies and theme parks - those are only part of how we can touch people.

For much of America and even more so for the rest of the world, they will not see the 1-2 animated movies each year and never be able to go to the theme parks. The only way toexperience Disney is through Disney TV, the comic books or Radio Disney. Those are the 24x7 experiences. In particular looking at the potential for India and China - it seems TV/radio/publishing will be how we introduce the characters to a new generation - movies and theme parks will only hit a small part of the group. In Europe, the Disney comic book WITCH became a huge hit with girls.. we can tell great stories in many ways...

So I think TV could be a huge driver for the Company and supplement what is happening on the movie/theme park side. TV is the everyday experience and the movies/theme parks would be the special event experiences.

I agree that the movies/theme parks need to have appropriate investment to ensure that they remain special events... and it seems there are plans to address now, but unfortunately after many years of bad decisions.

Do people ignore the potential of TV - all of the TV brands - ESPN, Disney Channel and ABC (Family?).. I look at Nickelodeon and they have created massive franchises from Blue Clues and Dora the Explorer that overshadow money made of Pirates of the Carribean or The Incredibles. We can reach kids with Disney Channel, women with ABC Family/Lifetime and men with ESPN... seems like we have a great mix to touch lives everyday. (ABC Family seems to have stabilized and let's see what the cable group can do)...

So if Bob's experience is TV is that bad thing? I agree he would need a strong #2 to provide the POV for theme parks and movies...

Here's something I just posted on another thread, but it works here too...

No offense intended to the employees of those divisions, but ABC/TV and the publishing divisions don't really do anything different from Nick, NBC/Universal, CBS, FOX, Paramount, etc. Some ABC shows are good shows; some (but very few) Disney Channel shows are good, but they are not head and shoulders above the competition the way the parks and animation once were. A trip to a Disney theme park can be magic...the first viewing of an Animated film by a child can affect that child's life in a profund way. I'm sorry, as good as some TV shows are-- they don't do that. If they did, there would be NBC chat rooms all over the web. I like "Lost" and "Kim Possible" but to call them "magic" is just plain silly. They're good TV shows but that is it. The Haunted Mansion is magic. Beauty and the Beast is magic. Without the parks and feature animation, Disney would be Viacom. I don't really want to experience the magic of Viacom, sorry.

• I know I'm just a newbie

disgraceful

Walt disney must be rolling in his grave, the way Eisner and iger have twisted the name of disney. turning it from a great dream to the but of peoples jokes.

We can only hope that someone can take over that can replace the magic that I remember as a kid. put more money back into the parks and movies and stop pissing away money on stupid stuff like fox family or what ever it was

And what were they thinking killing the relationship with pixar..... wow that was dumb

Roy made a good point when he said that eisner is like the dictator of a once great nation and now he's passed the tyrant torch to his sith padawan you know what they say thers always 2 no more no less

O-well that's my 2 cents
    Eating greens is a special treat, it grows long ears and great big feet, But it sure is awful stuff to eat

Walt and his crew were pure Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by laman6
    One of the points that I struggle with is what is the heart of the company.

I guess I do not believe that it is just about the movies and theme parks - those are only part of how we can touch people.

For much of America and even more so for the rest of the world, they will not see the 1-2 animated movies each year and never be able to go to the theme parks. The only way toexperience Disney is through Disney TV, the comic books or Radio Disney. Those are the 24x7 experiences. In particular looking at the potential for India and China - it seems TV/radio/publishing will be how we introduce the characters to a new generation - movies and theme parks will only hit a small part of the group. In Europe, the Disney comic book WITCH became a huge hit with girls.. we can tell great stories in many ways...

So I think TV could be a huge driver for the Company and supplement what is happening on the movie/theme park side. TV is the everyday experience and the movies/theme parks would be the special event experiences.

I agree that the movies/theme parks need to have appropriate investment to ensure that they remain special events... and it seems there are plans to address now, but unfortunately after many years of bad decisions.

Do people ignore the potential of TV - all of the TV brands - ESPN, Disney Channel and ABC (Family?).. I look at Nickelodeon and they have created massive franchises from Blue Clues and Dora the Explorer that overshadow money made of Pirates of the Carribean or The Incredibles. We can reach kids with Disney Channel, women with ABC Family/Lifetime and men with ESPN... seems like we have a great mix to touch lives everyday. (ABC Family seems to have stabilized and let's see what the cable group can do)...

So if Bob's experience is TV is that bad thing? I agree he would need a strong #2 to provide the POV for theme parks and movies...

I would swear if I didn't know any better, I would bet that this is either Eisner, Iger, or someone they paid to come on these message boards. All I'm gonna say is, bring in someone to restore the magic to feature animation, and the parks. Laman6, while your at it, go tell your bosses I said to start reinvesting money into the parks again. (pealing paint, trash, etc.)

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by darkknightctn99
    And what were they thinking killing the relationship with pixar..... wow that was dumb
    I don't think that this is the case in its entirety. Steve Jobs proposed completely insane terms, knowing that Eisner wouldn't accept it.
    He also said that studios/distribution companies would be salivating at such an offer. Currently, Pixar has no distribution deal after "Cars."
    I predict that Pixar and Disney will work something out, since it's in both parties' self-interest to do so. Pixar needs Disney, so it's characters will live forever. Disney needs Pixar for the near-free money and being able to use the characters in the parks. It's also in Disney best interest not to fold in The Incredibles and Cars into a new deal that took away what was already agreed to (character rights, profit splits, etc.).
    So what should the profit split be, and what should the frquency of movies be, and exactly when should those movies be released, and who should own the characters? Well, I think that Iger will be in a better position to negotiate than the hole Eisner dug.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• insufferable know-it-all

I still think that the best move the Disney board could make is to acquire Pixar, boot Eisner out the door, and get Steve Jobs to take the helm. Whether or not that could happen, what with Jobs' current position at Apple, I don't know. But it would be a way for the Disney company to both acquire the talent and properties of Pixar (which should never have been separate from Disney in the first place, thank you Mikey) as well as to acquire a talented and visionary CEO who understands the creative side as well as the business.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rock Star Minion

Well, maybe start Jobs off as a Director on the Board (hard not to, given that if Pixar would be bought with Disney stock, Jobs would become a major shareholder), then see what he wants to do. Maybe he could be Chairman.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wem1985
    I would swear if I didn't know any better, I would bet that this is either Eisner, Iger, or someone they paid to come on these message boards.
    Probably just works at ABC or in corporate overseeing ABC.
    Still, the inside stuff is interesting.

To be clear (sometimes not as clear as I like on the boards)... I do not think you should abandon investment in the theme parks or movies - they can bring great halo to the company. but I think that TV could just as powerful to drive the company.

I did laugh when someone mentioned that I am paid to be on the boards - not so much - maybe that would actually help me to afford buying a house in LA... I am not paid, I am not a spy. I have been with TWDC for almost a decade - have worked in various groups and still work around the company. I get disappointed in things like DCA, concerned about HK and have problems with some decisions. But at the same time, I have had a chance to be in the rooms with decisions and it has never been all about the money - people do care a lot about building a great company. But at the same time being a public company there is a share price concern.. many employees as well as people on these boards have stock and sometimes the investment spend with the hope of high returns does not pan out - so there is a tightrope that is being walked. Sometimes we do not swing for the fence, because we need to protect the bottom line...

I am not saying that every investment has worked on TV - case in point ABC Family. But even with ABC Family, we have the real estate, the channel is having the best ratings it has ever had (thank you Gilmore Girls and Full House). If they can get the right mix of programming and movies on the network then we can fix a bad decision - bringing ni Mr. Lee from BBC America is a good start - let's see what he can do.

I mentioned on another board (apologies for repeating) - but for most of the world (China and India) -movies and theme parks will never impact the people (primarily because of cost and lack of outlets to see the content). So TV, the Disney blocks with cartoons is the only way to reach kids. So TV is an opportunity to grow - not the only one but an important part of the mix.

Just a bit of info on Pixar - the Sunday after Bob got the job the first email he got was from Steve Jobs. Who offered congrats. On the next Monday Pixars stock went up 20% (due to speculation that Pixar would do a deal with TWDC). The market and Steve both want a deal to be done with TWDC, it makes sense -it is just finding mutually beneficial terms.

Whether or not I thought Bob was the best candidate it is who is our leader now (Michael is more an advisor), it has brought to many people a sense of completion. We have had a tough 4 years. We had the 4,000 people fired, the hit of September 11th, the morass of a downturn... wenow have a strong financial profile - and things are stable. Stable is a good thing... next step is growth

•   
    • Minion

Just a bit of info on Pixar - the Sunday after Bob got the job the first email he got was from Steve Jobs. Who offered congrats. On the next Monday Pixars stock went up 20% (due to speculation that Pixar would do a deal with TWDC). The market and Steve both want a deal to be done with TWDC, it makes sense -it is just finding mutually beneficial terms.

Whether or not I thought Bob was the best candidate it is who is our leader now (Michael is more an advisor), it has brought to many people a sense of completion. We have had a tough 4 years. We had the 4,000 people fired, the hit of September 11th, the morass of a downturn... wenow have a strong financial profile - and things are stable. Stable is a good thing... next step is growth
    A note on Pixar... I know that Steve was happy to see Bob get named... I think Steve would have been happy to see half a dosen other people named as well... I still think it is going to be a bone of contention that Disney is making Toy Story 3... It says to Jobs that Bob doesn't want to make a deal... Not really... Particularly when it was made public who was directing/producing on the project was from BVHV...

The strong financial profile isn't really what the law suit really is about... It is true Eisner needs to go... But the move toward Iger purposefully moves the company toward content distribution rather than content creation... That is not even close to the wishes of the companies namesake, who would rather tell stories, and tell them well, and empower artists...

Stablity does not bring back 2D animation that is the heart and soul of the Disney name... It does not fix the fact that theme parks and films are catering to consumer products and not the other way around... It does not fix the drain of talent that has been abandoned... Who has forced Disney into the position of being a content distributor rather than a content provider... Disney has become in animation what Paramount was to movies just before Mr. Eisner signed on with them... No longer an active studio, just a shell that gives money to producers...

TWDC has become hollow... It has become a sales oriented company... And value is continuing not to be added to products that cost a premium...

Stabilty is not a good thing... It just adds to those of us who know that more needs to be done, but won't be done... Why? Because TWDC has run out of good ideas...
    Check out my other blog:

To be clear (sometimes not as clear as I like on the boards)... I do not think you should abandon investment in the theme parks or movies - they can bring great halo to the company. but I think that TV could just as powerful to drive the company.

I did laugh when someone mentioned that I am paid to be on the boards - not so much - maybe that would actually help me to afford buying a house in LA... I am not paid, I am not a spy. I have been with TWDC for almost a decade - have worked in various groups and still work around the company. I get disappointed in things like DCA, concerned about HK and have problems with some decisions. But at the same time, I have had a chance to be in the rooms with decisions and it has never been all about the money - people do care a lot about building a great company. But at the same time being a public company there is a share price concern.. many employees as well as people on these boards have stock and sometimes the investment spend with the hope of high returns does not pan out - so there is a tightrope that is being walked. Sometimes we do not swing for the fence, because we need to protect the bottom line...

I am not saying that every investment has worked on TV - case in point ABC Family. But even with ABC Family, we have the real estate, the channel is having the best ratings it has ever had (thank you Gilmore Girls and Full House). If they can get the right mix of programming and movies on the network then we can fix a bad decision - bringing ni Mr. Lee from BBC America is a good start - let's see what he can do.

I mentioned on another board (apologies for repeating) - but for most of the world (China and India) -movies and theme parks will never impact the people (primarily because of cost and lack of outlets to see the content). So TV, the Disney blocks with cartoons is the only way to reach kids. So TV is an opportunity to grow - not the only one but an important part of the mix.

With all due respect sir, all of this mubo jumbo means nothing to me. I have grown up with the Walt Disney Company my whole life. I have been going to WDW since 1977. As far as I'm concerned they should bring in a new board of directors, boot Eisner, Iger, Staggs, Rassulo and that whole regime, sell off ABC and get back to the basics. Pixar doesn't have ABC and they have a higher stock price then Disney combined. Disney needs to get back to the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by wem1985
    With all due respect sir, all of this mubo jumbo means nothing to me. I have grown up with the Walt Disney Company my whole life. I have been going to WDW since 1977. As far as I'm concerned they should bring in a new board of directors, boot Eisner, Iger, Staggs, Rassulo and that whole regime, sell off ABC and get back to the basics. Pixar doesn't have ABC and they have a higher stock price then Disney combined. Disney needs to get back to the basics.

Hey guys, check this out:

"laman6" works for Zenia Mucha. It is his job to do micro-publicity (also called "opinion shaping" on message boards).

A message sent to me from someone on these boards. No wonder this guy is trying to spin everything that's going on!!!!!!!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    That may be true- it doesn't mean he is not making clear and valid points. I like to let people's posts speak for themselves instead of judging them based on second hand information that probably has no bearing on the topic at hand.

Just because Disney signs my paychecks doesn't mean I am "spinning" for them on the board either.

He has admitted to being employed by Disney- so what? I seriously doubt he is being paid by them for posting here, if he were, he certainly wouldn't admit it! Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of hiring people to post on message boards if they come out and tell you they work for the mouse?

That doesn't mean there aren't spinners out there, but I haven't been able to spot them yet. Maybe he is just making too much sense for you to handle!
    Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-27-2005 at 05:10 AM.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast