• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Oscars on the way, but who's going to watch? - MarketWatch, 2/23/07

MarketWatch, 2/23/07
    Oscars on the way, but who's going to watch?

By Russ Britt, MarketWatch

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- One may prove an anomaly, while two could be a run of bad luck. But three just might translate into a dubious trend when it comes to ratings on Academy Awards broadcasts.

If the past two years is any indication, it won't be good for Oscar viewership and may cut into future revenue. For 2005 and 2006, household share for the Academy Awards has fallen below the critical 40% level and has been under that threshold for three of the last four years. In years past, Oscar ratings traditionally have captured more than 40% of all households watching television on the night of the ceremony.

There's a good chance ratings may end up below that 40% mark again this year, since none of the five best-picture nominees has blown off the doors at the box office. And even though the Oscars are getting record advertising revenue -- with 30 seconds of air time selling for $1.7 million -- the down streak in ratings may not bode well for the future.

Walt Disney Co.'s ABC network hosts the Oscars.
    Full Story: Oscars on the way, but who's going to watch?

• out & about

Re: Oscars on the way, but who's going to watch? - MarketWatch, 2/23/07

Interesting... Im totally gonna watch though. My friends and I have created a little game out of the event and were gonna make a night of it.
    Who will guess the mostwinners? We'll find out tomorrow.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• time to go

I will definitely watch, for assorted reasons, like I typically do. But with Ellen hosting the show this year, it's a must-see for sure.

I do believe that lack of blockbuster films on the Best Picture list can influence the Nielsen ratings, but there's far more going on with this decline. I'm tempted to attribute the ratings slide to the "Fox Effect," where conservative media slams the Hollywood Terrorist-Loving Liberals every chance it gets. Folks feel disconnected to the show biz community when they buy into this clap trap, so... they don't tune in.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Banned User

After Trash er..Crash, won best picture last year (the WORST best picture winner EVER) and esp since Trash...er Crash, won over the rightful winner, Brokeback Mountain, I'd done with the AMPAS awards show for good. Last year finally blew into the open what many have known for years...the Academy Awards are a big pay off your friends, let's slap each other on the back, Joke.