Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cartoon Wasteland
    Posts
    4,828
    Blog Entries
    68

    Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07
    Blu-ray Tips Scales

    The scales tipped in favor of Blu-ray Disc the week ended Feb. 18, according to preliminary data.

    Since the inception of both formats, the Sony-backed Blu-ray disc has now sold more units than its Toshiba-backed HD DVD competitor, according to Nielsen VideoScan First Alert data.

    Buoyed by a rush of titles this year, Blu-ray has racked up a slight lead in unit sales — 100 units to every 98.71 units of HD DVD — since the inception of both formats, according to First Alert data.

    HD DVD had a headstart on Blu-ray sales because of its earlier launch. However, in late December, following the Nov. 17 launch of Sony’s Blu-ray-enabled PlayStation 3, the Blu-ray Disc began to catch up in unit sales, according to Nielsen VideoScan data.

    Blu-ray has the advantage of more major studio support. All of the majors, save Universal Studios Home Entertainment, support the format. Buena Vista Home Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Lionsgate and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment exclusively support Blu-ray.
    Full Story: Blu-ray Tips Scales

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07
    Blu-ray Tips Scales



    Full Story: Blu-ray Tips Scales
    YES! (and thank God).

  3. #3

    • World Traveler
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Aventura, FL
    Posts
    4,011

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    I believe Beta sold more units that VHS in the beginning too, and we all know what happened there.


  4. #4

    • Earth Intruder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Tangent Universe
    Posts
    3,060

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    YES! (and thank God).
    Why thank god? Are you a Sony fanboy, or whats the deal?

    And there are a lot of things this article doesn't mention, like how many DVD units are selling, and whether DVD sales are plummeting due to the inception of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD to begin with (they aren't). I'm sure Laserdisc sold *gasp* Laserdiscs when the format came out. Imagine that!

    It's like saying that DCA is "more popular than ever!" since 10 people paid for day-admissions this year and 9 paid for day-admissions last year. Yeah, it's an increase, but the numbers ain't that impressive.

    Both formats are still too damn expensive (the media and the players) for anyone to have "won". And for some reason they aren't talking about both sides "losing", which is exactly what may happen here, a la Laserdisc.

    I love those blatantly lying videos demonstrations of Blu-Ray they have at best buy. You know, the ones where they're showing a split screen of DVD v Blu Ray and the DVD side looks like complete and total grainy crap, while Blu Ray looks pristine.

    Of course Blu Ray looks better than DVD on a large screen. But they sure "fuzzy up" the DVD version, since DVD doesn't look that horrible.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)



    Founding Member of the BA!

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    No, it's because Blu-Ray is the superior format. Oh and P.S. LaserDisc never "lost". In fact, it beat it's rival, the CED disc (a needle in groove system developed by RCA). LD was succesful for years as the format of choice for movie collectors and film buffs. It was a niche market, but it was successful within it's market. When DVD came along, it was made obsolete.
    Last edited by NickCharles; 02-26-2007 at 07:56 AM.

  6. #6

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    No surprise that Blu-Ray is winning the race so far. Universal's HD-DVD ad isn't very impressive to me... it talks about all these features that DVD had hears ago (like picture-in-picture commentary, information on the movie while watching the movies). So, the only difference between the DVD features and the HD-DVD equivalent? I'm sure HD-DVD works better. It just reminds me too much of the Fox DVD spot.

    Disney has a more impressive Blu-Ray commercial, even if it says little about what Blu-Ray is.


    And, I agree... Laserdisc was the winner for about 20 years or more. It just didn't catch on in the mainstream, partly due to its cost per disc. Thus, most went for VHS.
    -Tim

  7. #7

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    No, it's because Blu-Ray is the superior format. Oh and P.S. LaserDisc never "lost". In fact, it beat it's rival, the CED disc (a needle in groove system developed by RCA). LD was succesful for years as the format of choice for movie collectors and film buffs. It was a niche market, but it was successful within it's market. When DVD came along, it was made obsolete.
    I still have lots of LD..they are basically uncompressed video, like a digibeta. Transferring them to DVD is a bit of a hassle but worth it on some titles.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

  8. #8

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    I think the market still isn't convinced that moving to the next gerational format is makes that big of a differance in order to "take off"...

    VHS to a Digital was a no brainer...

    I still think the next big leap of techology will involve downloading and a USB connection... Or a card system...
    Check out my other blog:

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I think the market still isn't convinced that moving to the next gerational format is makes that big of a differance in order to "take off"...

    VHS to a Digital was a no brainer...

    I still think the next big leap of techology will involve downloading and a USB connection... Or a card system...
    Movies are of no concern to me. What matters to me is data storage, and Blu-Ray is the uncontested winner here. I am interseted in Blu-Ray as an optical disc storage medium, and I think that this "war" will ultimately be decided by what burners are included with peoples home computers, and in that arena, Blu-Ray is the favorite, precisely because of it's greater data capacity.

  10. #10

    • Earth Intruder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Tangent Universe
    Posts
    3,060

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    And, I agree... Laserdisc was the winner for about 20 years or more. It just didn't catch on in the mainstream, partly due to its cost per disc. Thus, most went for VHS.
    You kinda contradicted yourself there.

    Sure Laserdisc is superior to VHS. But it didn't catch on with the mainstream due to high cost of players and discs. It was a superior format, but it wasn't the "winner".

    That's like saying Betamax was the "winner" because it was a superior format. Wrong.

    HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are superior to DVD, no question. And both formats are both outrageously expensive (BluRay discs are $29). And you can't really see a giant difference unless you have a huge TV. (As I said before, don't believe those Best Buy ads in-store that are trying to get you to buy a Blu-Ray, where they "grain up" the DVD side of the screen. DVD doesn't look bad, not by a long shot). Are consumers ready to replace their DVD libraries with Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD? The technophiles (i.e. the ones who bought Laserdiscs) certainly are.

    But the mainstream? It's WAY to early to see if there's a winner and a loser, or two losers. They've gotta beat good ol' DVD first.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)



    Founding Member of the BA!

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    You kinda contradicted yourself there.

    Sure Laserdisc is superior to VHS. But it didn't catch on with the mainstream due to high cost of players and discs. It was a superior format, but it wasn't the "winner".

    That's like saying Betamax was the "winner" because it was a superior format. Wrong.

    HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are superior to DVD, no question. And both formats are both outrageously expensive (BluRay discs are $29). And you can't really see a giant difference unless you have a huge TV. (As I said before, don't believe those Best Buy ads in-store that are trying to get you to buy a Blu-Ray, where they "grain up" the DVD side of the screen. DVD doesn't look bad, not by a long shot). Are consumers ready to replace their DVD libraries with Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD? The technophiles (i.e. the ones who bought Laserdiscs) certainly are.

    But the mainstream? It's WAY to early to see if there's a winner and a loser, or two losers. They've gotta beat good ol' DVD first.
    It caught on in the niche market that it filled, beating out CED. VHS was the home video format of choice for the mainstream consumer because it could RECORD (as well as a larger library of movies, and of course, a larger porn library). By the way, I pay $4.00 per disc for Dual Layer DVD-R discs ($19.95 for a pack of 5). Big deal. I also get 8.5 GB of recording on one disc. With Blu-Ray you get 25 Gigabytes. With a Dual Layer BD-R you get 50 Gigabytes. TDK has had a 200 Gigabyte BD-R prototype for a long time now. Oh, and by the way, as someone who actually owned a LaserDisc player and bought movies on LaserDisc, I'll have you know that movies on LaserDisc were actually cheaper than on VHS or Beta tape for a very long time, and you got higer quality and better picture and sound for it too.
    Last edited by NickCharles; 02-27-2007 at 06:10 AM.

  12. #12

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    You kinda contradicted yourself there.

    Sure Laserdisc is superior to VHS. But it didn't catch on with the mainstream due to high cost of players and discs. It was a superior format, but it wasn't the "winner".

    That's like saying Betamax was the "winner" because it was a superior format. Wrong..

    Wasn't much of a contradiction. Laserdisc struggled, but it truly was a winner -- not just something that came and went. It may not have been *the* winner, selling more copies of everything. But it was *a* winner.

    Betamax technically had a rather long lifespan, but only in professional markets. At least up till a couple years ago, Betamax videos and players were still being made for pros. Maybe even still.
    -Tim

  13. #13

    • Quality not quantity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07
    Blu-ray Tips Scales



    Full Story: Blu-ray Tips Scales
    You are joking right? 98.7 to 100 for one reporting period hardly sounds significant. Do you think Sony is going to declare the Nintendo Wii as the winner in the console war just because the Wii outsold the PS3 this month? Somehow I doubt it.

    Sony is (from their perspective) in a fight for it's life on this one and they are pulling every trick they can come up with. Pushing out more titles regardless of quality, making deals with big box vendors to feature Blu-ray displays and hide, smack talk, or just not carry HD-DVD products, and of course pullling out the ever questionable "statistics" card.

    For me content is king. That's the only reason why I would ever purchase a Hi-Def player of either flavor. Of course the problem is no matter what format I choose there will be some movies that are only available in the other format. To me that's simply not acceptable. So I'm boycotting BOTH formats until either one dies, all movies are available in both formats, or there is a reasonably priced Dual format player available. I for one will not be a pawn in the Sony/Toshiba/Movie studios game.

    I'll just watch with a tear in my eye as movie fans choose sides in this "war" and march into battle against each other to the tune of the big corporations over their own interests.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    -Mark Twain

  14. #14

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Oh, and by the way, as someone who actually owned a LaserDisc player and bought movies on LaserDisc, I'll have you know that movies on LaserDisc were actually cheaper than on VHS or Beta tape for a very long time, and you got higer quality and better picture and sound for it too.

    Cheaper? Until its demise, all the prices I was seeing for the major movies were $40-$100. I rather remember the prices of the Disney VHS box sets compared to the LD box sets. And I remember seeing outrageous prices on almost every movie, too. I would've loved to know where you were getting the great deals!

    I'm a collector of Laserdisc now, though. Somewhat have a love for it.
    -Tim

  15. #15

    • Earth Intruder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Tangent Universe
    Posts
    3,060

    Re: Blu-ray Tips Scales - Home Media Magazine, 2/23/07

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    It caught on in the niche market that it filled, beating out CED. VHS was the home video format of choice for the mainstream consumer because it could RECORD (as well as a larger library of movies, and of course, a larger porn library). By the way, I pay $4.00 per disc for Dual Layer DVD-R discs ($19.95 for a pack of 5). Big deal. I also get 8.5 GB of recording on one disc. With Blu-Ray you get 25 Gigabytes. With a Dual Layer BD-R you get 50 Gigabytes. TDK has had a 200 Gigabyte BD-R prototype for a long time now.
    All of that is true, but I fail to see the point or the argument in sharing this knowledge with us.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles
    Oh, and by the way, as someone who actually owned a LaserDisc player and bought movies on LaserDisc, I'll have you know that movies on LaserDisc were actually cheaper than on VHS or Beta tape for a very long time, and you got higer quality and better picture and sound for it too.
    There were movies on VHS that were priced to own and there were movies that were priced for rental. Laserdiscs cost about $50 each. People didn't generally buy the VHS movies that were priced for rental, but they sure as heck bought the ones that were priced to own. The VHS movies were generally less than half of the cost of a Laserdisc. So I'm sure there were movies that were priced for rental that came out on Laserdisc, where the Laserdisc was cheaper.

    But for movies that were priced to own? Sorry, you're wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Wasn't much of a contradiction. Laserdisc struggled, but it truly was a winner -- not just something that came and went. It may not have been *the* winner, selling more copies of everything. But it was *a* winner.
    We're arguing over the definition of winner, I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the context of the original article, we are arguing about which one is the most popular, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I guess if we're arguing about giant flat discs, then yes, Laserdisc was the winner of giant flat discs. It was also the "winning" (i.e. the best) format of the time. But VHS was the "winning" format in terms of popularity at the time.
    I'm a collector of Laserdisc now, though. Somewhat have a love for it.
    There's a lot of great stuff (especially in Disney box sets) that was released on Laserdisc and was never released in the DVD versions.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)



    Founding Member of the BA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Twenty Three Magazine, will it be a successor to Disney Magazine?
    By mickeymark34 in forum D23 - Disney Twenty Three
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
  3. Cruises for elderly, anyone got tips, tips?
    By Hakuna Makarla in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 02:46 AM
  4. DreamWorks SKG media $$$ find a home - adweek 4/7/06
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 03:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •