• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

7 WDW Resort area renovation projects under way - Hotel & Motel Management, 2/22/07

Hotel & Motel Management, 2/22/07
    Seven Walt Disney World Resort area renovation projects under way

The Downtown Disney® Resort Area Hotels (www.DowntownDisneyHotels.com), a consortium of seven hotels in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., have millions of new reasons to visit in 2007, as all of the properties have completed or are in the process of completing major renovations. When finished, the properties' combined renovations will total more than $100 million in upgrades, rangaing from new restaurants and additional meeting space to flat panel televisions and spa-quality amenities in guest rooms.

“With major renovation projects recently completed or soon to take place, each of the Downtown Disney Resort Area Hotels has millions of new reasons for guests to visit in 2007,” said Bill Green, chairman of the Downtown Disney® Resort Area Hotels’ marketing committee. “In addition to the new amenities and upgrades, our location inside the gates of the Walt Disney World Resort makes each of these unique hotels ideal for families and business travelers alike.”
    Full Story: Seven Walt Disney World Resort area renovation projects under way

• Former Epcot CM

Re: 7 WDW Resort area renovation projects under way - Hotel & Motel Management, 2/22/

Its highly unlikely Disney is putting much, if any, money into this.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: 7 WDW Resort area renovation projects under way - Hotel & Motel Management, 2/22/

I'm sure that the word "amenities" is being used as liberally as "attraction" was in HKDL (benches as attractions). Look for a new character themed "Do not disturb" door knob signs or perhaps Shampoo AND Conditioner in the better rooms.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    I'm sure that the word "amenities" is being used as liberally as "attraction" was in HKDL (benches as attractions). Look for a new character themed "Do not disturb" door knob signs or perhaps Shampoo AND Conditioner in the better rooms.
    If you actually read the article, you will see it goes far beyond door knob signs.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    If you actually read the article, you will see it goes far beyond door knob signs.
    I believe Cousin Orville was being somewhat facetious as he implies that these renovations won't be as major as implied; however, we'll have to wait and see how they end up.

• World Traveler

It's about time these hotels upgraded. They really are in a great location.

Many of these hotels have been wanting to do major rehabs for some time now, including exterior ones, but anything involving their exteriors has to be coordinated through Disney.

I've seen the new Doubletree suites and they are very nice - the granite countertops make them feel very high end, and all the "soft" stuff - carpets, curtains, bedding, etc - is new. The walls have been redone, and, honestly, they feel like brand-new rooms. The lobby areas have been spruced up as well.

I've also been to the Hilton recently and it's also much improved - again, the rooms basically feel almost new. However, I'm usually at this hotel for conferences, and the conference facilities are incredibly dated still. The decor, carpeting, and so forth is just very old-feeling and shopworn. The pool area of the hotel is nice and well-maintained, but I think the overall property was just built with a very Sixties feel (in terms of the design elements, at least to me), and it still comes through.

The Royal Plaza is also much improved - again, the rooms feel practically new, and the new materials seem very hard-wearing, so hopefully they'll stand up to the incredible traffic these hotels get. The Royal did the most work in their public areas, too, and they also look very fresh and new.

Losing the pink exterior paint on at least some of the properties has helped tremendously, as well. I don't know what Disney was thinking with that (several folks at the hotels have told me it was Disney's color choice, not theirs - they've never liked it).

It's nice to see the wireless access being added, although I imagine it's all run by SmartCity which isn't always so smart about coverage and helping you when things don't work.

There are a few other things I wish these hotels could focus on, like the horrible bus transportation (one bus for all the hotels per theme park - sometimes for two theme parks - is just crazy), and I've found the concierge desks (who help with restaurant reservations) to be incredibly inefficient, since they have to basically call Disney Dining. It'd be nice if they could have the same access that Disney's own people do, perhaps via some private Web interface or something.

But, overall, it's nice to see money being spent. I think it's probably a few years overdue; these properties have all been feeling pretty shopworn for some time now, and I always sensed a hesitation to close off rooms (for renovation) which could have been filled with paying guests. Glad they finally got to it.