Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• For You!

Re: Disney Cruises vs. Other Cruise Lines

I've never been on Disney - but done Holland America twice. Loved them. Great food, atmosphere and their private island is really nice. They also have a kids club that's pretty fun.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Last year went on a Disney Cruise with my GF who does not care for kids and she loved it. She loved it so much we are sailing again next Sat. There is tons of stuff for the kids to do so you really do not see them and the adult areas are nice along with the night entertainment.

My partner and I are not really 'kid people,' so we were a bit apprehensive when we booked our first Disney cruise on the Wonder. We thought: For four days we can put up with anything!

It was the shortest four days ever. Since I spent much of the time drugged up and in the stateroom (the medical center is very good), we booked a second cruise in October (the DVC Members Cruise). That was so much fun, we booked a cruise for this December and we're on the list for a cruise in January 2009.

I guess you could say we liked it.

We've sailed a few times on Norweigan, Princess, and Holland America - and liked each of them. They all have their strong points. Disney - an entertainment company, after all - just got it right! From the more spacious staterooms to the rotating restaurant schedule, to the entertainment, to the Pirate Night party, and their island (Castaway Cay), we could find no fault with anything.

And those kids that we were concerned about -- they were swallowed up in the Kids Clubs (which occupy nearly all of Deck 5). You'd see them at dinner with their folks and in the family pool, but if you really didn't want to see them, there is an adult pool, coffee bar, and the entertainment sections become adult only after 9 pm. And the 'adult only' areas are enforced. We aren't completely 'anti-kid' so we didn't hang out in the adult-only areas exclusively, but enjoyed having the option.

As you can tell, we are completely sold on Disney cruises. We began in a Category 6 stateroom (balcony) and have moved up to a Category 3 suite. Yes, Disney is a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. The concierge service in Categories 1 - 3 is really quite nice, and the two of us enjoy the added space of a suite. We've got our fingers crossed for one of the Category 1 suites for the January 2009 cruise! We'll figure out how to afford it if we're lucky enough to get it. (Hoping for the one with the baby-baby-grand piano!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post

Victoria and I have adopted Holland-America as our line of choice. It tends to attract an older crowd and is also not an "economy" line, but the ships are very well appointed, the food is exceptional and the staff is great. They also put fewer people on board. On our last cruise, we berthed right next to another cruise ship at one of our stops. Our ship was carrying 1800 passengers. The other ship (I forget the line) was carrying 2300 passengers... but our ship was noticeably larger!
    You should look into Oceania Cruises if you like Holland America. Smaller ships, 800 to 900 passengers, upscale cruise line, good pricing. Many of their cruises have 2 for 1 deals and free airfare.

It's safe to say the theme here is that a large majority of people that have been on multiple cruise ships will rate the Disney Cruise experience on a different level. Maybe not better in terms of certain things, but they've managed create a different experience than a typical cookie cutter cruise. As for me, I'll never do anything but Disney again.

Funny things I've noticed in this thread were about the ports of call? Just in this category alone I've noticed Disney blows away the competition. Typically a cruise ship drops you off. Disney makes sure you get to where you're going. (Not to mention shorter wait times especially when tendering). The last two cruises I've been on have had destinations re-routed based on conditions. So, Disney made sure that when I arrived on the wrong side of the island that I was taken to where I needed to be. (instead of having to get a taxi and fend for myself).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12