• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Surf's Up', and so is Sony's penguin romp -

Surf's Up, And So Is Sony's Penguin Romp

February 26, 2007
    Brandweek
    By Becky Ebenkamp

LOS ANGELES -- Riding the CGI wave, Sony Pictures Animation is gearing up about a dozen partners in its promotional pipeline for its sophomore effort, Surf’s Up.

McDonald's, Old Navy, ConAgra Foods, Baskin-Robbins, Sea World and others are on board for an effort that will see more than $100 million in media spending to hype the film, which opens June 8 and follows the studio's maiden CGI, Open Season.

In its first deal with Sony after the end of its exclusive 10-year promotional partnership with Disney, McD's will give Surf’s Up a heads-up with TV advertising, in-store signage and, of course, Happy Meal premiums. As the global QSR partner, Surf’s Up will be promoted at 32,000 McDonald's locations in 119 countries.

Many partners will play off surf lingo in their executions. Baskin-Robbins will invite consumers to "Catch the Wave to Big Prizes" in two TV spots for a sweepstakes (prizes TBD) and a Surf’s Up Splish Splash sherbet that resembles a blue and white wave. A B-R mobile tour also will screen the movie's scenes.

Aside from the obvious tie to family brands (McDonald's) and penguin pros (Sea World, which is branding its San Diego park's penguin exhibit with the film this summer), Sony sought hot and/or cold-positioned partners to play into Surf’s Up's range of weather locations: The film begins in arctic Shiverpool and washes up at the Polynesian Pen Gu Island. For instance, first-timer Kold To Go Bags will tap the Shiverpool imagery and characters on its insulated thermal bags used for transporting such grocery items as ice cream. "We're able to use the water and temperature and environment thematically in our partnerships," said Mary Goss Robino, svp-global marketing partnerships for Sony's Columbia TriStar Marketing. "Some partners played off the surf thematic, but we saw [additional] opportunities."

Many partnerships are new for Sony, and align with the studio's strategy of serving up nonplundered product categories, such as Wonder Bread for last summer's Talladega Nights.

"When this film came up, we thought this was adequately quirky for us—Old Navy is sort of a quirky brand in terms of personality," said Kristin Petersen, vp-brand exposure and promotions at Gap Inc. Old Navy will promote its Surf’s Up relationship in shops, online and circulars, and also is a licensee (T-shirts and flip-flops for boys, girls and toddlers). Promotionally, it's the kitschy value chain's first partnership with a major studio flick.

Surf’s Up, which chronicles how penguins invented the sport of surfing, has a mockumentary narrative in ode to such surfing docs as Riding Giants and Step Into Liquid, and diverse animation styles, such as faux grainy, B&W newsreel footage of seminal surfers "hanging six." Shia LaBeouf voices up-and-coming surfer Cody Maverick, the central character. Jon Heder, Zooey Deschanel and Jeff Bridges (as burnout beachcomber The Geek, roughly based on The Big Lebowski's "The Dude") round out the talent.
    Full article at http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/rec..._id=1003550267
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 'Surf's Up', and so is Sony's penguin romp -

I used to love penguins.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Huh?

This is one Penguin movie I've been wanting to see for a while. Loved the trailer's slight parody of The Endless Summer.

It better have some great surf rock in it... anybody know if any of the surf legends have a part in the film's soundtrack?
    -Tim

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I used to love penguins.
    I think all penguins, EXCEPT penguins created by Sony are still cute. I don't have any desire of seeing this after seeing crappy Happy Feet and then having them rob the Oscar away from Cars.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Enough with the penguins already! Buzzkill!

What's next.... movies about three-toed sloths?

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

Nope. Just more pirates.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm gonna go to hollywood and pitch a movie about wombats.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Huh?

I wouldn't mind that... though, I'm sure the stories are a bit slow.
    -Tim

• white and nerdy

Three-toed Sloths?! I am THERE!
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

What's next.... movies about three-toed sloths
    thats cool but how 'bout a movie about dolphins...i love me some dolphins
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm gonna go to hollywood and pitch a movie about wombats.
    I adore wombats so I'm all for that as long as you throw in a wallaby and some bush babies for comic relief.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Surf's Up' rides a penguin wave

Sony Pictures
    Paddle power: Cody Maverick, voiced by Shia LaBeouf, is a teenage penguin with a passion for surfing in this mock documentary.

By Claudia Puig
    USA TODAY
    March 6, 2007

First there were marching penguins, then they sang and danced. In June, they will surf.

After Happy Feet's Oscar win for best animated feature and 2005's smash documentary March of the Penguins, does the world really need another penguin movie?

Yes, say the people behind Surf's Up, an animated comedy due June 8 that explores the world of competitive surfing, penguin-style.

"It's clear to us that people love penguins," says Surf's Up producer Chris Jenkins.
    Jeff Bridges, the voice of Big Z, a reclusive washed-up surf champ, sees definite potential: "Maybe the penguin wave is still cresting."

So, are penguins officially the new dogs?

"Yes, I have one at home, as a matter of fact," Jenkins jokes. But seriously, "people love penguins, and I'm not worried about what's come before."

Surf's Up riffs on the Christopher Guest-style of mock documentary. It may be the Spinal Tap of penguin cinema.

"People are ready for the idea of fusing animation with reality programming and improvisational performances," Jenkins says.

Some of the most memorable animated performances — think Robin Williams in Aladdin — were improvised, and Surf's Up hopes to continue that wave.

Shia LaBeouf is the voice of teenage penguin Cody Maverick, a passionate surfer entering his first competition. A camera crew is following him and filming his experiences as he meets a wacky crew of surf nuts along the way: Chicken Joe (Jon Heder), surf promoter Reggie Belafonte (James Woods) and lifeguard Lani (Zooey Deschanel). Cody is all about winning until he meets Big Z and realizes a winner doesn't necessarily get the top prize.

Bridges, who channels a bit of The Dude from The Big Lebowski, relished the improv: "You do it as it's written, then you just jam."

Plus, "I've been surfing since I was in high school, and they captured a great mixture of the real and idealized feeling of what it's like."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...surfs-up_N.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

We are penguin fans but it is getting to be a bit much. Happy Feet was cute, this one though looks kind of eh. I am sure we will see it because the kids want to, but enough of the penguins!!!
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Surf's Up'

'Surf's Up' will grace the McDonalds Happy Meal program after 'Shrek the Third' departs and will also take up residence at Baskin Robbins.
    http://www.baskinrobbins.com/

Here is one of the first trade reviews for the film:

A Sony Pictures Entertainment release of a Columbia Pictures presentation of a Sony Pictures Animation production. Produced by Christopher Jenkins. Executive producer, Jenny Fulle. Co-producer, Lydia Bottegoni.
    Directed by Ash Brannon, Chris Buck. Screenplay, Don Rhymer, Brannon, Buck, Christopher Jenkins; story, Jenkins, Christian Darren.

Cody Maverick - Shia LaBeouf
    Big Z/Geek - Jeff Bridges
    Lani Aliikai - Zooey Deschanel
    Chicken Joe - Jon Heder
    Reggie - James Woods
    Tank Evans - Diedrich Bader

Just when parents managed to calm their tap-dancing tots, along comes another animated penguin pic -- this time featuring South Pole fowl who surf. Like last year's "Happy Feet," "Surf's Up" tells the story of a cuddly outcast who dreams big, much to the consternation of his flock, only this time, the personal journey is captured in the form of a mockumentary, complete with virtual crew and "handheld" cameras. Every bit as entertaining as the early Christopher Guest efforts, Sony toon is well positioned to ride the wave of penguin popularity to success this summer.
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...ryid=1263&cs=1

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

After being SO mislead by Happy Feet, I have zero desire to see this one.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast