• Still lost in Neverland

Sad Another Classical Station dies

I don't know if any of you here are into listening to Classical Music on KMZT 105.3 on the FM dial, but as of yesterday morning at 6am the owners switched formats to some kind of modern C/W music.

The station is known as K-Mozart and has been playing nothing but Classical Music since it was founded 30 or so years ago. Now on their website they claim they have not gone away, only moved. The Mount Wilson Company that owns this station also owns many other stations in the Los Angeles area and they have this one station on AM 1260 that has been C/W for a few years. Well, they are switching the formats putting the classical KMZT on 1260am and the C/W station of 105.3 FM.

I guess that's fine for them, but I get nothing but static and interference on just about all the AM stations where I live. The are also saying that KMZT will be on HD FM 105.1. I am not spending the money that these new so called HD radios cost, and after reading many reviews on sites that sell them, from people who have bought them, I have come to the conclusion that it's all just a big rip off to get you to buy some new fangled type of Radio that 90% of the people who bought them say are not much better sounding that regular stereo broadcast FM. So what's the point?

Anyway I just think it's sad that the #1. and oldest Classical Music station has been demoted to AM radio or so called HD FM. Just makes me sad. This is the station I have on at night because the music is soothing and restfull.
    Goodbye K-Mozart I will miss you. A lot.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Another Classical Station dies

This makes me sad.
    I don't listen to the radio much anymore, but when I commuted from Newport Beach to Corona each day, I used to tune in to this station because it was so soothing.

I'm very sorry to read about this. Thank you for telling me also - as I have it programmed in both of our cars on memory dial.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Yes. This came as a shock to me Saturday when I was in my car and they came on with the announcement they were moving to HD FM and 1260 AM. I know there were a lot of country western fans upset when that brand of music went off KZLA a while back. That left no CW in Southern California. Then CW showed up on 1260 AM. Now CW fans are excited to have it on a decent FM signal. But us KMozart fans are left out in the cold. I can pick up 1260 AM on my car radio but the signal is poor. Can not pick it up at all in the house. There is another FM classical station. It is KUSC 95.1 on the FM dial. Today I switched to that in the car. But KMozart was the best.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Well, blame the people who bought KZLA and booted country for Spanish music. They moved to an AM station (and the Internet) but reception was horrible. I feel bad for KMozart but I'm so glad that county is back in L.A. County and that Shawn Parr is back
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

As a note on this, I did try the AM 1260 station last night and it came through fine. So at least I haven't lost it. The AM band is getting better I guess. So I am happy again about getting Classical Music from KMZT AM 1260.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Hug a Billy

And interestingly ... last night in the car 1260 AM did NOT come through. All distorted and other stations leaking in. Very weak signal out here in this area. Perhaps because you live in the valley the signal is stronger. So far I am happy with my switch to KUSC.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    As a note on this, I did try the AM 1260 station last night and it came through fine. So at least I haven't lost it. The AM band is getting better I guess. So I am happy again about getting Classical Music from KMZT AM 1260.
    I'm no electronics expert, by ay means, but I do know that my old stereo had an AM antennae that was separate from my FM antenna. Still have it as a matter of fact, even though the stereo went belly up some months back. While this doesn't help your car reception any, it might bear fruit to do some research for your home system(s), in the event you have future problems.

• Former Loiterer

That's why I have XM. The only downside is that I don't have a cassette deck so I have to play it through the FM band which distorts the signal. But they have every kind of music I could possibly want to listen to (and a few I wouldn't listen to if they paid me!). But, still it's nice to hear Country again in LA, I just wish they hadn't taken a classical station to do it. Take one of those Hip Hop channels away; We've got a hundred of them...geez!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

Digital Jedi, I think you meant to quote Wendy Girl not me. I don't have a car so when I mention my radio, it is the unit in my bedroom. It does have two antenna, one for AM and one for FM. I guess my location in the Valley is better for the 1260am reception than my sister who lives out in Lakewood. I think the station broadcasting signal is more out this way, and most AM stations are just not that powerful anymore.

There was an article on this switch in yesterday's LA Times. The C/W folks are very happy that C/W is now on the better sounding FM, but a lot of the Symphonic Groups and advertisers have left KMZT because they don't feel the sound of AM is what they want for their listeners.

They have gained ads for the C/W station but lost others from the Classical. Their e-mails are running very high from the C/W fans but the e-mail from the Classical Group is all negative, to say the least. The station owner did say that the switch was made because the classical station was just not bringing in the listeners or the ad revenue anymore.

The classical music groups are saying this is a wake up call for classical music lovers. They have to start making, somehow, this music more palatable to the younger listeners.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Hug a Billy

That is so sad. I am glad we started our daughter young in listening to classical music. She is pretty well rounded in her musical tastes at 22. KUSC had good stuff on today.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Ahhh, good old Saul Levine and his AM 1260....which used to be KGIL for many years (Sweet Dick Whittington and the like).

In the last several years, that station has programmed news/talk, oldies, adult standards - now this.

That is and always has been a Valley station...it's hard to pick up in some areas of LA County and most every area in Ventura, Orange, or other surrounding counties.

Used to be that Saul simulcasted 1260 on AM 540, with a transmitter in Mexico beaming toward San Diego and Orange County.

By the way, a fine point here....it's technically now referred to as "Country" music...the "and Western" part was dropped many years ago, at least by those in the industry and those working at country music radio stations...like me!

And northern LA County (Newhall, Saugus, Canyon Country) can still hear a great country station, one I worked at for 18 years, KHAY 100.7 out of Ventura.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Hug a Billy

Thanks for the input Barry. If anyone would know about radio, it's you

I will listen to KUSC exclusively now as far as classical music on the radio goes. But I do have XM too. On XM I listen to the 40s and old radio shows. I don't really listen to classical on XM. But as for KMZT I will REALLY MISS Rich Capparela. I loved him! I will especially miss the morning Sousa alarm! I saw Rich at a PSO concert once. He is so funny. Does anyone know what he's doing now?
    Last edited by brigeet; 03-01-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling