Quentin Tarantino hosts the 'Los Angeles Grindhouse Festival 2007'

Tarantino hosts Grindhouse Fest

Director to showcase 50 exploitation films

Tarantino

Tarantino's 'Death Proof' in part of his latest effort, 'Grindhouse.'

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety
    March 1, 2007

Quentin Tarantino and the New Beverly Cinema are teaming to host the Los Angeles Grindhouse Festival 2007, which will showcase more than 50 exploitation films from Tarantino's personal library.

Fest, running Sunday-April 30, coincides with the release of Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's "Grindhouse," a pair of pics made in tribute to the genre. Double-bill showcases a feature film by each director, both of whom were influenced by such exploitation films, which reached their zenith in the 1970s.

Dimension Films opens "Grindhouse" in the U.S. on April 6. Rodriguez's film is "Planet Terror"; Tarantino's, "Death Proof." A number of trailers for fake titles were shot to run at intermission, including one by Splat Pack helmer Eli Roth ("Hostel").

There are currently no plans to take the festival on the road to other cities, although there have been discussions.

In keeping with the tradition of exploitation films, the New Beverly will run double and triple features, with roughly seven different films rotating in and out each week.

Tarantino is programming the festival. He's set up several theme nights, including the "Euro Sex Comedies Triple Feature," "Back-to-Back Kung Fu Superstar Angela Mao Double Feature" and "All Blood Triple." The work of cult directors such as John Hayes also will be featured, including Hayes' "Grave of the Vampire," written by David Chase.

Films by "Barbarella" helmer Roger Vadim will get billing, along with pics by Al Adamson, Fernando Di Leo and Cirio H. Santiago.

Many of the pics will be uncensored and uncut, including "Grave of the Vampire" and blaxpoitation films "Brotherhood of Death" and "The Mack." A number of rare 35mm prints also have been slotted, including "Slithis," "Shame of the Jungle" and "Chinese Hercules."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Tarantino & Rodriquez's 'Grindhouse' 2007 - 12/14/06
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...bert+rodriguez
    Last edited by ALIASd; 02-28-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: sp
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Quentin Tarantino hosts the 'Los Angeles Grindhouse Festival 2007'

Tarantino's Grindhouse Fest celebrates cinematic cheese

If you want to know what made Quentin Tarantino the man he is today, look at the L.A. grindhouse life he’s loved.

By Geoff Boucher
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    March 1, 2007

Photo Gallery
    Tarantino's Grindhouse specials

Some kids love Disneyland, but for little Quentin Tarantino, the happiest place on Earth was always a scabby L.A. movie theater.
    That's where he could sit in the dark with bloodied samurais, dangerous pimps and zombie brides. His search for the next matinee took him to every freeway and to distant neighborhoods, which is why Tarantino now knows the city like the back of an amputated hand.

Sometimes, it's even hard for the filmmaker to say where the movie screen stops and the real Los Angeles begins.

"I was watching this blaxploitation movie called 'Death Force' at the World Theater, which used to be on Hollywood Boulevard just up from Gower. I'm there watching this movie about these two gangs fighting to take over L.A. They're pulling a 'Scarface,' just killing everyone. Well, two gang members are walking down Hollywood Boulevard and a car pulls up and guns them down right in front of the theater that I'm sitting in! I was like 16, and it remains to this day one of the great moments for me."

No one mixes art house and butcher shop quite the way the 43-year-old Tarantino does. And now he is sending a valentine back to the vintage exploitation films that have been his lurid muse: This Sunday marks the start of his Los Angeles Grindhouse Festival 2007, a tenderly titled, eight-week retrospective of five dozen deliriously bad films, among them "Autopsy," "Jailbait Babysitter," "Chinese Hercules" and "The Legend of the Wolf Woman." For the uninitiated, "grindhouse" is a nickname for the creaky theaters that would "grind" away their projectors for triple features filled with second-run films, exploitation flicks and foreign-film curiosities.

The films at the New Beverly Cinema are all from prints in Tarantino's personal film library and, more important, from the reels that grind on in his head and heart. Last week, the director took a break from his labors on his own upcoming film project (that would be "Death Proof," but more on that later) to talk about the festival and also give a quick tour of his Los Angeles — the one he lives in and the one that lives in his films.
    full article at http://www.latimes.com/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Quentin Tarantino hosts the 'Los Angeles Grindhouse Festival 2007'

A number of rare 35mm prints also have been slotted, including "Slithis," "Shame of the Jungle" and "Chinese Hercules."
    SLITHIS!!!! i have a copy of that film on VHS, my husband's stepdad's boat is in it
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.