• I was deleted.

The audio-animatronic Muppets roam a Disney theme park - LA Times 03/02/07

Article from LA Times - March 2, 2007
    The audio-animatronic Muppets roam a Disney theme park "seeing" and "talking" to visitors

Watch out, Mickey Mouse. The Muppets may be sneaking up on you.

Walt Disney Imagineering this week debuted its latest, cutting-edge creation: free-roaming, interacting audio-animatronic Muppets capable of "seeing" and "talking" to tourists and without a human puppeteer in sight.

Disney's most advanced robotic creation to date makes the costumed, mute Winnie the Poohs and Donald Ducks seem like felt-covered relics, though Disney executives are quick to reassure that the beloved, autograph-signing cast isn't going anywhere.

"This is an incredibly compelling and powerful way to experience the characters," said Bruce Vaughn, vice president of Walt Disney Imagineering's research and development division.

"They are fully aware of the people in their presence and can call you by name. It is a 100% live experience."
    Full story available here: The audio-animatronic Muppets roam a Disney theme park "seeing" and "talking" to visitors

• Dreams do come true

Re: The audio-animatronic Muppets roam a Disney theme park - LA Times 03/02/07

great article, i just read it, now I want to see it even more

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Sounds absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see these guys in the park the next time I visit.

• Continuing the Magic

It was a great article, it's a shame I wont get over there this weekend to see it. Any Idea when it will be back in the park. The article stated it would be going back for some tweeking, not when it would be back.

• Are we there yet?

If it's Beaker and his friend that crazy scientist, I saw them putting them together these past few months everyday on the drive home. We'd be on the 5 fwy and on the passenger side of the car there was a one story building with one of those large roll-up doors that garages use. It was fun watching the progress. I thought they were gonna be used for a movie.
    How cool, I love Beaker! (I hope that's what this is......if not....egg on my face.) =)
    Last edited by Paola; 03-02-2007 at 09:48 PM.
    What time is the 3 o'clock parade?

http://www.myspace.com/pduliere

• Pressed Penny Collector

I saw an article on this today on Engadget, and they had a YouTube video clip of the Bunsen / Beaker rig in action. Seems like they had some technical difficulties at one point, but it was still cute. I only hope they get a better voice actor for Bunsen, cause he just didn't sound right at all.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/02/d...y-and-friends/

• Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRescuer View Post
    I saw an article on this today on Engadget, and they had a YouTube video clip of the Bunsen / Beaker rig in action. Seems like they had some technical difficulties at one point, but it was still cute. I only hope they get a better voice actor for Bunsen, cause he just didn't sound right at all.

Thanks for the link! That is what my family and I saw off the 5 fwy in Brubank on the way home. How cool!
    What time is the 3 o'clock parade?

http://www.myspace.com/pduliere

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRescuer View Post

The technology looks amazing! So cool to see Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker at DCA.

However, that YouTube clip seems to say it all about sending the animatronic back for "tweaking." Most of the audience appeared to leave before the technical malfunction.

Bring on the funny, cuz outside of watching the machine, it just wasn't.

• FuseMP

That's awesome!! especially seeing the video footage. I saw the talking trashcan at WDW but this is just on another level and it's great to see the Muppets get another feature in the parks as well. Hopefully they can wheel this out to Disney Paris before the summer as would love to see it there on our trip.

Is anyone else surprised of the lack of crowd around it?? I'd be marking out for it!

Ahhhh!!!!! You don't know how happy this makes me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had it out in the park today. Just wasn't at the right place at the right time today. As of right now, the CM whom I talked to said there isn't a set time for it to come out. But by the time we got in the park after lunch, they had already had it out twice. And from what I heard the CM say, people enjoyed it. We hung around for a little bit to see it they would bring it out, but we gave up because there were to many of the jr cheerleader girls that invaded the park. We decided to leave and go over to DL. So maybe I will get to see it next week. They told me they come out the gate near to where muppets exit is. So if by chance someone sees it on sunday, please post to let us know about it. Thanks.
    o A mouse a day, keeps the blues away. o

• Former Epcot CM

This would fit right in outside of Muppets 3D at MGM. Peoples jaws would drop.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California